"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #2 Retirees

Very grateful for TV starting this topic.

As one of the stranded, I made the mistake in July of expecting that Thailand would open up in the next month.  Now I am stuck in UK., and I do not expect any change of heart on the visitor policy from the Thai government any time soon.

I can only hope that one day we will get back to normal, and, in the meantime,  keep reading TV to learn what is going on, and if there si any way that I might get back to Thailand.

Possibly an  Elite visa might be the only way in, nd it might come to that, but I live in hope that a mere Non-Imm. O retirement extension will still be valid.

i have aa wife living in Thailand and a 'Yellow Book' so I would qualify for an CoE now, but I do not want to go through all the fuss that Thailand requires.

If it was a simple matter of getting a Covid test, (difficult in UK,) and the buying an air ticket to Bangkok, and doing quarantine in my own home, I would be on the flight next week

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are writing these stories to get my sympathy, it is not working.  I have a some sympathy for anyone who left in 2019, but it ends there. If you left this year, could you not have foreseen how t

A slight nuance to the earlier post #1 teachers.  Whilst I see that TVF and Rooster are doing so in good faith and with compassion, to try and make those of us who might be living under a large rock,(

Since your crystal ball gazing is so great I assume you win the lottery every time! FYI the US for example did not impose travel restrictions on non US citizens until 31 Jan 2020.  How could y

Posted Images

On 10/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, ChrisKC said:

but in my life here of nearly 18 years I have not believed for a moment that foreigners are not wanted here.

I moved here in the summer of 1997.   I have worked and now retired in this country.   Immigration rules and procedures have been reduced to almost nothing.   Annual retirement visa takes me about 2.5 hours every 365 days.  That includes getting my bank letter.  Ninety day reporting online, about 7 minutes, 4 times a year.  Try Indonesia or step back in time if you want and live in Cambodia or Vietnam.   This is a very strong country financially and everything you could ever want and more is here on offer.  I do get frustrated with the little things but then I remember what dealing with monkeys is like in my home countries of the USA and Canada.  Then I laugh it off.   I read most of you and am reminded that you won’t be here long since the Thai currency, know as the Baht, will strengthen to the point your pension won’t buy you a Singha.   Sorry, you probably like Chang as do most Thai farmers and country folk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

I moved here in the summer of 1997.   I have worked and now retired in this country.   Immigration rules and procedures have been reduced to almost nothing.   Annual retirement visa takes me about 2.5 hours every 365 days.  That includes getting my bank letter.  Ninety day reporting online, about 7 minutes, 4 times a year.  Try Indonesia or step back in time if you want and live in Cambodia or Vietnam.   This is a very strong country financially and everything you could ever want and more is here on offer.  I do get frustrated with the little things but then I remember what dealing with monkeys is like in my home countries of the USA and Canada.  Then I laugh it off.   I read most of you and am reminded that you won’t be here long since the Thai currency, know as the Baht, will strengthen to the point your pension won’t buy you a Singha.   Sorry, you probably like Chang as do most Thai farmers and country folk.

Just don't leave at the moment you won't get back! 😆

• Thanks 1

I am in Thailand by sheer dumb luck. Flew from Melbourne to Bangkok about two weeks before the shutters came down in both countries.

As Tommy Bucks in the TV series "Justified" said, this is supreme BS. The Thai government should be allowing anyone in who has a family connection, as long as they are COVID-free.

They want to get their tourist industry back? Hellooo, this is not the way to do it.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:46 AM, crazykopite said:

I’ve started taking my 800 k out even though I am living here I’ve always been against using an agent but next year I will gladly pay up for them to sort out my retirement and sod leaving to much money in my account Thailand is on a cliff edge my scb moved my account from one branch to another two years ago and didn’t notify me until 3 weeks after it happened they didn’t even give me a choice they just did it.

800,000 baht is not a lot of money.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 10/17/2020 at 4:25 AM, 4MyEgo said:

So what should they have done, not attended his wife's father's funeral, do you hear what you are saying, I am dreading the day my mother passes away if it's in this current climate, I cannot go and visit her because I will have to do 14 days quarantine in my home country and then if lucky to get back in here, I will have to quarantine for 14 days here.

These governments around the world have taken control over all of our lives over a mere coronavirus flu, we have had 4 previous coronaviruses that we have handed well under herd immunity, the tests they are conducting are not accurate, even the WHO has recently stated that, even one of their head doctors has said lockdowns are not the way to go if there is no spreading of the virus.

Have you asked yourself what is really going on, maybe you enjoy listening to the BS you are fed, ask the protesters in BKK why the government has declared a 'state of emergency' for a month, to shut them up and to make them go away or face arrest, nothing to do with Covid-19, is this democracy or another form of lockdown abuse.

I have all the sympathy in the world for this couple who made Thailand their home but now can't get back in because these governments are playing with our lives under their controlled regime. 

You to have to remember it is their country and you are but a guest, and maybe an unwanted guest in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/17/2020 at 5:02 AM, ChrisKC said:

If I was in charge and I didn't want foreigners in Thailand, I would let it be known for sure and not just make life difficult, but impossible by legislating to that effect. No confusion, no exceptions!

Although we have an Immigration Department in Thailand, the one thing no foreigner can be is an immigrant! You can stay and live in Thailand and perceive anything as you wish but in my life here of nearly 18 years I have not believed for a moment that foreigners are not wanted here.

The reason they don't let it be known for sure, is many of the corrupt, rich, elite Thais own homes in the UK, Australia and the US and don't want to be barred from entry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 10/17/2020 at 7:08 AM, expat1010 said:

It is really sad what is happening for those retirees whose lives have been so badly disrupted. I wish Thailand would be a little more compassionate towards retirees given their large numbers in Thailand and their often extensive family and financial ties. I let my non Immigrant O-A visa lapse a while back and now split my time 6 months home country and 6 months Thailand on a multiple entry Tourist visa. With Covid this approach has been a god send for me. Still keep a place in Thailand but my expenses to do so are minimal. GF would prefer I stay Thailand year round but I just won't take the risk. The last straw for me was the health insurance requirement; who wants to be 75 or 80 and denied insurance and forced to leave Thailand. 

This winter I may be forced to winter in Mexico or god forbid Florida if I can't get to Thailand due to visa or flight availability or insurance or whatever roadblock the Thai government decides to throw up. 

I will be back to Thailand this winter, if I can get my tourist visa and a reasonably priced flight. Any extra unreasonable restrictions and my money and time will be spent elsewhere.

I moved back to Florida.

God forbid Florida?

Why is that?

My family love it here right near the beach.

Thai groceries, Thai temple, Thai restaurants out the wazoo.

What exactly is there to miss from Thailand?

Florida has nice weather, no VISA's, clean, no concern for crime

There must be a reason so many Thai people live in Florida?

On 10/17/2020 at 4:38 AM, rooster59 said:

"I came to the Philippines on 9 March on a round trip ticket to supervise a Masonic Youth group on a hiking trip to Mt. Pinatubo. A trip which the group had spent the last two years raising money for. 

I'm curious about the Masonic Youth group hiking trip! (And so are the Qunits...)

On 10/17/2020 at 4:45 AM, Peter Denis said:

Strange that the article does not mention that there is now a relatively easy solution for all 3 cases.  All of them can now apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa which would allow them to get the COE to return to Thailand.

Easy solution? maybe... but it doesn't allow me to  come back in Thailand before at best 6 months, because of the rule "equivalent of 500'000 B during 6 months in your checking account". I have more than this amount available, but not in my checking account!

Those with work permits are allowed back: Helps Thailand in a small way by allowing select jobs to be done. 

Those with spouses are allowed back: Helps Thais who have a foreigner to support them (thus beneficial to Thailand).

Students in official language schools (and international schools) are allowed back: "Learning about the Thai culture through language" is beneficial to Thailand's image. 

Retirees take advantage of the benefits of living in Thailand; Thailand does not get any special benefits from them (their "investments in life costs" in the economy are infinitesimally small). Therefore, Thai authorities see retirees as not contributing to the image or enhancement of Thailand. It's that simple. 

The veil has parted and we know see clearly what some previously assumed: Thailand suffers foreigners at best only if they contribute to Thailand in a way that makes their presence tolerable. Retirees, in the final analysis, have no redeeming qualities here for the country. 

• Like 1
On 10/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, allane said:

I have lived in Thailand for 25 years, and never bought a condominium here. Now you know one of the reasons why.

Assuming you are not living for free somewhere, then you have been renting for 25 years.

Using the old rule of thumb for monthly rent, as 'current property value divided by 200, equals monthly rent' then it looks like you have already paid for one and a half apartments for your landlords.

• Like 1