"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #2 Retirees

9 hours ago, praguecr said:

every government is doing its best in these unforeseen and unpredictable times

For some of those governments their best is just not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are writing these stories to get my sympathy, it is not working.  I have a some sympathy for anyone who left in 2019, but it ends there. If you left this year, could you not have foreseen how t

A slight nuance to the earlier post #1 teachers.  Whilst I see that TVF and Rooster are doing so in good faith and with compassion, to try and make those of us who might be living under a large rock,(

Since your crystal ball gazing is so great I assume you win the lottery every time! FYI the US for example did not impose travel restrictions on non US citizens until 31 Jan 2020.  How could y

Posted Images

I think in general Retirees are welcome in Thailand and will be continued to be so. Once the demand on quarantine places lessons or capacity increases the situation will ease  for retirees. 

I entirely agree with the last part, only I realized this back when Prayut lied his way to a coup, the rest is horses for courses , its always a risk going off to another country, especially one that isn't similar to your country of origin. At the Moment plenty of people around the world are having trouble getting back to their home country, I understand what you say , join the que. 

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

What is the proper name for K-Bank?

Kasikorn Bank.

When you have an account there you can subscribe for free to their K-Cyber service which allows you to do your banking on-line. 

From what I read on the Forum Kasikorn Bank is one of the best Thai banks for electronic banking.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

It is time that our embassies en governments impose the same restriction on all Thai people. If they don't meet the same requirements, kick them out and send them back to Thailand.

During Covid, has ANY foreigner been kicked out of Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I’ve started taking my 800 k out even though I am living here I’ve always been against using an agent but next year I will gladly pay up for them to sort out my retirement and sod leaving to much money in my account Thailand is on a cliff edge my scb moved my account from one branch to another two years ago and didn’t notify me until 3 weeks after it happened they didn’t even give me a choice they just did it.

Better they transfer your account to a nearby branch than leave your money on the ground when they close a branch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

As all good immigrants should! 

Some long-term visitors don't realize how lucky they are being able to stay here permanently with easy requirements compared to other countries. 

I asked for more than 17 years for PR. Married, have a company, WP, family etc etc. No you can not, until one of them told me (after 17 years) that I would not make a chance if my salary was below 80.000 baht. Please show me where I can find that rule?

• Like 1
On 10/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, 19DL86 said:

A slight nuance to the earlier post #1 teachers.  Whilst I see that TVF and Rooster are doing so in good faith and with compassion, to try and make those of us who might be living under a large rock,(therefore unaware) of these scenarios.  But pressuring the current administration and Immigration, not a good move.

Ref Richard Barrow and the TM30 climb down. Just my opinion.

I've lived here a long while and the writing has been on the wall for a large part of the last 10 years, the letters growing larger year after year.  But some people choose to ignore this.  I feel, as do many Expats we are not so much welcomed, nor tolerated as we once might have felt.  Too much shifting sands for my like,ing to warrant investment here.  There's a growing Nationalism right the way across the World from US to UK an increasing hostility to foreigners, and immigrants.  Thailand is no different.

I see a new "flag" being waved how many of those here will ignore this "writing in the wall" - it's started with the "Elite Visa" investments, then the enforcement of funds seasoning in Thai banks for Non O visa applicants.  Then the STV and more recently the starkly frightening requirement of 3MilBt deposit in Govt Bonds or bank, to return to your own Condo.  So on and so.

Only a few days have passed since I read in these very pages that the banks aren't guaranteeing deposits in excess of 1MilBt, after next year, and so too other alarming stories coming out of the financial institutions.

To me it's evident Thailand is financially over stressed and on their way to hell in a hand cart.

Many of these foreigners unable to return or access their accounts might be eyed as easy prey.  Those nominee shareholder "shelf" Companies owning land and houses to circumvent property ownership laws, might be low hanging fruit.

Be very cautious don't ever think what happened in Zimbabwe 40 years ago can't be repeated.  We re living in perilous times and Chinas current attitude and influence must not be taken too lightly.  

Just my thoughts and not in any way professional.

For me, you have summed up the situation perfectly, what with a huge shift about to take place around the world, mainly because of the 'Chinese influence' and  probably some time next year, things are going to get very bumpy for all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

During Covid, has ANY foreigner been kicked out of Thailand?

Not that I know of but you know very well what I mean, but you prefer to ignore it.

Arrived 30 years ago and visited the first time 40 years ago. And all my paperwork is ok.

But none of the Thai people have to go through all the rules and restrictions that the Thai are imposing on me in my country. I would be happy if  I could enjoy only 5 % of the rights that they have in my home country.  I just blame my home country for not doing the same. They can learn from Thailand. Like mentioned before the UK, USA and Australia are doing their job.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So what should they have done, not attended his wife's father's funeral, do you hear what you are saying, I am dreading the day my mother passes away if it's in this current climate, I cannot go and visit her because I will have to do 14 days quarantine in my home country and then if lucky to get back in here, I will have to quarantine for 14 days here.

These governments around the world have taken control over all of our lives over a mere coronavirus flu, we have had 4 previous coronaviruses that we have handed well under herd immunity, the tests they are conducting are not accurate, even the WHO has recently stated that, even one of their head doctors has said lockdowns are not the way to go if there is no spreading of the virus.

Have you asked yourself what is really going on, maybe you enjoy listening to the BS you are fed, ask the protesters in BKK why the government has declared a 'state of emergency' for a month, to shut them up and to make them go away or face arrest, nothing to do with Covid-19, is this democracy or another form of lockdown abuse.

I have all the sympathy in the world for this couple who made Thailand their home but now can't get back in because these governments are playing with our lives under their controlled regime. 

Yes they shouldn't of went home for the funeral.. I have already told my family i won't be returning for Deaths in my family that includes my mother.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3