How to set SD card as internal storage Samsung J7 pro

Kenny202

Got a 64gb mem card on my Samsung but can see know way to set it as general internal storage. SD card only using about 1 mb. I have googled storage J7 pro and most responses say go into settings and format card as internal storage, but there is no such setting. It just gives you a straight FORMAT option, nothing about internal storage. Anyone have any ideas? One particular program I am using is using a lot of GB and it did pop up with something when I installed the app to say had to do this and that to allow usage of SD card but looked complicated, I think involved rooting etc which I am not familiar with.

Any help much appreciated 

Edited by Kenny202

Good explanation here - https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/07/how-to-use-sd-card-as-internal-storage-android.html

in which it says -

If your Android device doesn’t support the Adoptable Storage feature, then it means you're still running on a version of Android lower than Android 6.0, or the manufacturer of your phone disabled it. Samsung for example, has disabled the adoptable storage feature, even in their recent phone models.

So looks like your only option would be to "root" the phone

1 hour ago, topt said:

Good explanation here - https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/07/how-to-use-sd-card-as-internal-storage-android.html

in which it says -

So looks like your only option would be to "root" the phone

I have heard of rooting. But have no idea what it means. I assume giving u access to system files? Once you root the phone what do you do then?

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have heard of rooting. But have no idea what it means. I assume giving u access to system files? Once you root the phone what do you do then?

I suggest you describe what particular program that is, how many GB?

A game with huge installation size?

Strange that it is not capable of using an SD in traditional manner.

Rooting: hands off! It makes the device vulnerable and certain apps (like mobile banking) won't run on rooted devices for good reason.

It's a nerd/hacker hobby juggling with operating systems/replacing user interface and if you are not deep inside technical details, again: HANDS OFF!

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

pretty much -

https://www.androidcentral.com/root

extra detail but dated if interested - https://lifehacker.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-rooting-your-android-5789397

Worth reading XDA forum for your specific model - https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j7

You may need to search a bit within there.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Rooting: hands off! It makes the device vulnerable and certain apps (like mobile banking) won't run on rooted devices for good reason.

If you can use Magisk and Magisk Hide then that should be surmountable on older Android OS. Seems to be more an issue on 10/11. 

Agreed it is not for everybody and I would not do it just to achieve what the OP is looking for. However the average person who wants to root their phone for greater customisation/debloating does not necessarily need to be 

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

deep inside technical details

to make it work. Most of the heavy lifting has already been done for you on sites like XDA and others. 

Statement from AndroidCentral website:

Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage
AndroidCentral | JERRY HILDENBRAND | 17 May 2019

Adoptable storage is when you use a regular microSD card and have it act as if it were internal (non-removable) storage on your phone. It's slower than the actual internal storage, can fail if used too much, and once you do it you can never remove the card again unless you reset your phone. That's why many Android device manufacturers don't enable the option.

An alternative on 'newer' android OS versions allows downloaded apps the option of storing their data on SD Cards, without needing to commit the SD Card to being Adoptible Storage, but this 'move' option has to already be baked into your version (android 6.1 or higher) 

How to Move Android Apps to an SD Card
Tom' Guide | By Sean Riley | April 10, 2019

Tips & Tricks on SAMSUNG Galaxy J7 Pro
How to move application in SAMSUNG Galaxy J7 Pro from phone memory to microSD card?
How to move an application from phone memory to microSD card tutorial

HardReset.info

NOTE... this second 'hardreset' link looks informational but as the website is non-mainstream it should be treated with extreme prejudice and caution if they go beyond being just informative (so don't follow links nor download anything they might offer to 'fix' or solve your issue). I only post it because it 'says' the info is directly related to the J7 Pro.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

I have struggled for several years to get Android phones to actually use the capacious SD cards I stick in them.

Along with all the another Android annoyances, I'm done. Returning to iPhones as soon as orders open for the new Pro.

2 hours ago, prophet01 said:

@Kenny202

I don't know whether or not this helps but I freed up my internal storage for apps and all else by making my SD card the default for storing images and video.

Open up the camera app - settings - storage location - option of internal storage or SD card.

893198834_Screenshot_20201022-082146_Camera1.thumb.jpg.77e5d62fb77e4ff12345e284ead15663.jpg

Thanks mate but apparently newer phones just wont do it. Apparently Samsung made the choice not to allow the use of SD cards for internal use. Was creating a lot of problems seemingly as SD cards not only slow but unstable. Bit like the Mrs lol

What I suggested above has nothing to do with using the SD card for internal storage/adaptable storage as quoted by @RichCor

"Adoptable storage is when you use a regular microSD card and have it act as if it were internal (non-removable) storage on your phone. It's slower than the actual internal storage, can fail if used too much, and once you do it you can never remove the card again unless you reset your phone. That's why many Android device manufacturers don't enable the option.

The SD card remains as external storage.

Have you tried doing what I suggested on your J7 Pro?