Are re entry permits currently useless?

I have been in Thailand on a Non O extension for 16 years based on marriage or retirement (still happily married but the retirement extensions easier to do) and notice if I wanted to go overseas to earn a crust and return to the wife and kids that the condition of Cert Of Entry during COVID does not include re entry permits - only new visas and Non O-A or O-X requiring more insurance than my Non-O?

Is this for real? Why are IO still charging 3800THB for multi re entry permits otherwise?

I have raised a similar question in another thread. 

There seems to a range of views on whether you can use an existing extension with a re entry or not, or if you have to obtain a new Visa. 

Edited by Kadilo

I am sure if you can't use your Reentry permit due to bans on travel imposed by Thailand, Thai Immigration will gladly refund our money. lol

I usually get one each year after my December Retirement visa renewal, but decided to wait and see what happened. Was a good decision and will probably make the same decision this year.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai your re-entry permit could be used to get a certificate of entry. Proof you are married to a Thai is all you needed.

Thanks and somewhat re assuring but:

The Thai Embassy web site in London (for example) does not mention re entry permits, and that if a visa has expired, one must reapply for a new visa. Also on the other thread you clearly stated visas have expired once we go onto extensions, both of which confuse me sorry to say!;-)

** I guess what I am looking for is a real life experience from someone who has been accepted or rejected for a COE with a valid re-entry permit with Thai family? Until now I have not read of such an instance.

Thanks.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction

For family members of Thai nationals (spouse/children)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, spouse and children of a Thai national can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy and your spouse's or child’s passport copy
  2. Copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate
  3. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
  4. Declaration form
  5. A copy of flight confirmation
  6. A copy of ASQ booking confirmation

If your visa has expired, you have to apply for a new visa. Please see our visa page for more detail.

Is your re-entry permit still valid? If yes, that's expiring same date as the extension of stay to the visa, and hence you're good. But if reentry permit already expired, then so would extension of stay, and hence you'd need to apply for a new visa. With your marriage certificate.

7 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

If your visa has expired, you have to apply for a new visa. Please see our visa page for more detail.

If on a extension and have a re-entry permit it would not be possible to have a valid visa. As far as I know most embassies and consulate will accept a valid extension and a re-entry permit.

I think it is the usual confusion caused by so many people and officials calling a extension a visa. All you can do is ask the embassy it the re-entry permit will be accepted as equal to a visa.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The Thai Embassy web site in London (for example) does not mention re entry permits, and that if a visa has expired, one must reapply for a new visa.

The Thais call an extension of stay a visa, so if you've got an extension (of the right type) you're good to enter.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Only if you plan to leave the country and re-enter...which I do not advise unless you absolutely must.

I didn't get one when I did my extension in  July - first time ever that I did not.

Note that if you do nto get one at the time you extend your stay you can still get one at a later date.

Thanks Sheryl, really appreciate your advice. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Maybe off topic, but I will not be applying for a re-entry permit when I do my next extension. Waste of money, and there's no telling when the borders will be unconditionally open again.

And why do you need to apply for a re-entry permit when you apply for the next extension? You can do it anytime you want prior to the departure or at the airport. 

49 minutes ago, heist said:

I'm going to piggyback off this thread because it's slightly relevant. 

I'm in Thailand on a Non-O multi visa and am going to switch over to a 12 month extension based on marriage next month.

Do I need a re-entry permit? 

Where are you going? You can't do a short trip back to your country and come back here in the near future unless you're fine with the CoE requirements incl. 14 nights of quarantine, covid-19 insurance etc etc. If you for some reason really need to go somewhere, then you can apply for the re-entry permit at your local immigration office or at the airport. You don't need the re-entry permit now,right?

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You don't need the re-entry permit now,right?

Yep, makes sense. Believe me I have no intention of going anywhere in the near future. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

Really appreciate the replies guys. Looking forward to someone posting an actual experience of using a re-entry permit to get back into Thailand successfully. Appreciate @Sheryl saying they are doing so.

Right now I am sitting tight in Thailand with all my overseas work opportunities halted as I cannot take risk of not seeing my Thai wife and half Thai kids for an uncertain amount of time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Maybe off topic, but I will not be applying for a re-entry permit when I do my next extension. Waste of money, and there's no telling when the borders will be unconditionally open again.

Absolutely, and if an emergency trip is required, one can be obtained at the airport still.

I have a valid re entry permit until jan2021. Applied for COE. In Australia. 

Had to show marriage cert and supplied childrens birth certificate. 

I was assured that it would be ok.

But at the 11th hour. I was asked to apply for spouse visa. As they might not let me in.

I did as I was asked and now in Bkk ASQ. 

Rather than have problems. Risk missing flight and changing dates and re applying for covid test and all that goes with it.

Canberra Embassy were very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, willr said:

I have a valid re entry permit until jan2021. Applied for COE. In Australia. 

Had to show marriage cert and supplied childrens birth certificate. 

I was assured that it would be ok.

But at the 11th hour. I was asked to apply for spouse visa. As they might not let me in.

I did as I was asked and now in Bkk ASQ. 

Rather than have problems. Risk missing flight and changing dates and re applying for covid test and all that goes with it.

Canberra Embassy were very helpful. 

"I have a valid re entry permit until jan2021."

Was the permission of stay which it was safeguarding granted on the basis of an annual extension of stay for retirement or for marriage/family?

"Canberra Embassy were very helpful."

Not how I would personally describe an embassy which initially said that everything would be OK, only to change their minds at the 11th hour!

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Lacessit said:

Yup save yourself 3800 baht. I'm in exactly the same mind for next March. I will tell you, travel is overrated....all that stress at the airports, standing in lines, <deleted> food dadadadada. 

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, ubonjoe said:

If on a extension and have a re-entry permit it would not be possible to have a valid visa. As far as I know most embassies and consulate will accept a valid extension and a re-entry permit.

I think it is the usual confusion caused by so many people and officials calling a extension a visa. All you can do is ask the embassy it the re-entry permit will be accepted as equal to a visa.

Confirmed so far as Royal Thai Embassy France is concerned....if you can meet all the other criteria.

I read on a FB posting that Canberra was not accepting O-A re entry permit (used for second year) to issue COE at the direction of Bangkok. People were being told to apply for new O-A visa which is interesting because you are not supposed to be able to apply for new visa with one still in place. 

11 hours ago, Searat7 said:

I read on a FB posting that Canberra was not accepting O-A re entry permit (used for second year) to issue COE at the direction of Bangkok. People were being told to apply for new O-A visa which is interesting because you are not supposed to be able to apply for new visa with one still in place. 

But you said the Visa has expired.... an O-A being only valid for a year. So a Visa is NOT still in place.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, KhunKenAP said:

I am sure if you can't use your Reentry permit due to bans on travel imposed by Thailand, Thai Immigration will gladly refund our money. lol

I usually get one each year after my December Retirement visa renewal, but decided to wait and see what happened. Was a good decision and will probably make the same decision this year.

Yes good decision on your part. My annual renewal is in October but I got screwed out of 6 months on the multiple re-entry permit. I asked about a partial refund earlier this month. The IO smiled and said "no". ???? Never again will I pay anything in advance!

On 10/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Really appreciate the replies guys. Looking forward to someone posting an actual experience of using a re-entry permit to get back into Thailand successfully. Appreciate @Sheryl saying they are doing so.

Right now I am sitting tight in Thailand with all my overseas work opportunities halted as I cannot take risk of not seeing my Thai wife and half Thai kids for an uncertain amount of time.

I am currently in the UK with my Thai wife. I have a retirement extension of stay with a valid re entry permit until May 24 2021. I was issued a COE almost immediately in less than 2 days based on my marriage cerificate and my extension/re entry permit. In addition I did not get any fancy insurance, just a cheap one £65 with Coverwise to get my COE. The whole process in the UK is online and for once very easy. Anyone currently out of Thailand and over 50 can apply for an OA even if you have a current retirement extension in your passport. I am also aware they are not being strict at this time on insisting on OA insurance policies from Thailand. They are issuing them based on the $100,000 Covid requirement, which are very easy to get in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jimn said:

I am currently in the UK with my Thai wife. I have a retirement extension of stay with a valid re entry permit until May 24 2021. I was issued a COE almost immediately in less than 2 days based on my marriage cerificate and my extension/re entry permit. In addition I did not get any fancy insurance, just a cheap one £65 with Coverwise to get my COE. The whole process in the UK is online and for once very easy.

This is what I am hoping for, but not from a UK embassy but third country Thai embassy where I might go to work. I would be interested to hear how your return goes with the re-entry permit. This seems a lot more reasonable that what the guy posted about the Canberra embassy and need to get a whole new visa!