Are re entry permits currently useless?

21 hours ago, jimn said:

I am currently in the UK with my Thai wife. I have a retirement extension of stay with a valid re entry permit until May 24 2021. I was issued a COE almost immediately in less than 2 days based on my marriage cerificate and my extension/re entry permit. In addition I did not get any fancy insurance, just a cheap one £65 with Coverwise to get my COE. The whole process in the UK is online and for once very easy. Anyone currently out of Thailand and over 50 can apply for an OA even if you have a current retirement extension in your passport. I am also aware they are not being strict at this time on insisting on OA insurance policies from Thailand. They are issuing them based on the $100,000 Covid requirement, which are very easy to get in the UK.

Great feedback that an Extension/Re-Entry Permit can suffice.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, heist said:

Yep, makes sense. Believe me I have no intention of going anywhere in the near future. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Thanks for your help. 

If and when the Airports open for international flights back in as well as out and back in without the hoops needed you can obtain one at the airport prior to flying out.  But until then do not waste the money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

This is what I am hoping for, but not from a UK embassy but third country Thai embassy where I might go to work. I would be interested to hear how your return goes with the re-entry permit. This seems a lot more reasonable that what the guy posted about the Canberra embassy and need to get a whole new visa!

I will post an update on November 6th when I go back. I seems that some embassy's have different interpretations of the rules. The London embassy have been extremely good and the online COE process is excellent. I am 100% confident I will have no admission problems.