Open up Pattaya to foreign tourists NOW! Russians/Europeans are willing to quarantine, say tourism leaders

rooster59

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

At least the leaders in Pattaya understand that Chinese people don't get long holidays so can't stay long enough to warrant staying in state prison quarantine for 2 weeks. Even if someone comes from a higher risk country they would have taken a covid19 test so would be covid19 free. The purpose of the two weeks of paid for quarantine prison is that the virus shows up within two weeks. TAT makes the tourist take out $100,000 of insurance against insurance so that would be a nice earner for the country. Russians and Europeans who can afford to come for 90 days will spend their money in Thailand and not on Zero Dollar tours like the Chinese. Someone must be earning money from brown envelopes. 

okay, so they don't want (and won't get) short-term tourists.

what about retired snowbirds?

there are millions and millions of retired chinese from the cold north that buy second (or third or fourth) apartments down south as their winter residences.  expensive apartments.  equivalent condo units in pattaya would cost about 1/4 to 1/3 that of hainan condos.

two weeks quarantine shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for that type of traveler, less of an imposition when the government gets around to authorizing home quarantine.

and how is the covid insurance an earner for thailand?  tourists buy travel insurance with covid cover from any agency.  unless i'm misteaken, it's only the o-a visas and extensions that require thai insurance, separate from the covid insurance for tourists.

aside from that, there are around 15 million teachers in china that get two months off in summer and six weeks off for spring festival.  they have the time if the quarantine allows beach use and is not restricted to the hotel room, and a good percentage have the money to afford package tours.

• Thanks 1

Even if you open the airport and promise free beer or 80% off hotel you are not going to get the quantity they want.  First people in the west do not have the money they do not trust the airlines and are presently all suffering with outbreaks

16 minutes ago, wombat said:

i guess you haven't seen WS at night since Covid?

I watch the bars in Central Pattaya. They don't care about Covid regulations. Also their customers don't care. But I understand them. The regulations are not easy to follow at this kind of business. And then I imagine what could happen if people with Corona visit many different nightlife locations. I think Pattaya will get a bigger problem. Perhaps they might have to close everything again. 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

With the baht getting stronger every day why would anybody want to come here as a tourist and lose money and quarantine for fourteen days at their expense .

I've never heard of a currency gain strength over multiple months, while the economy it's attached to dwindles and dies - it's extraordinary 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I seriously doubt legit tourists would be prepared to do quarantine.

Expats living/working here ...... maybe.

People with properties/families ........ maybe.

Criminals/illegal workers ......... maybe.

2-3 weeks tourists, not a bloody chance.

Snowbirds.......Yes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

Pattaya with all its nightlife is for sure the best place to allow foreigners from high risk countries to enter...

What for? 

To promise Thai ladies a rose garden when in fact they have nothing? 

If anything, then the Dark Side of Pattaya will be the place to go for tourists. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Some Europeans, after having secured their unemployment benefits, would rather spend the winter sitting on a bar stool, watching the cars passing by and enjoying their fresh exhaust fumes. 

This is exactly what Pattaya and a number of other tourist destinations need. A regular customer or collection of customers will do the world of good to many businesses. The trickle down effect of some people being allowed to spend their money in town will help many.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I watch the bars in Central Pattaya. They don't care about Covid regulations. Also their customers don't care. But I understand them. The regulations are not easy to follow at this kind of business. And then I imagine what could happen if people with Corona visit many different nightlife locations. I think Pattaya will get a bigger problem. Perhaps they might have to close everything again. 

And then it will get tougher for Farangs. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chang_paarp said:

This is exactly what Pattaya and a number of other tourist destinations need. A regular customer or collection of customers will do the world of good to many businesses. The trickle down effect of some people being allowed to spend their money in town will help many.

Yes, but they must have the money they pretend to have. 

• Sad 2

They keep on about opening up for tourists to come ASAP

With quite a few of the Countries UK most of Europe ect getting worse Corivirus wise 

Plus not many airlines flying and the quarantine requirements 

I think they need to smell the coffee its not going to happen until next year earliest 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

aside from that, there are around 15 million teachers in china that get two months off in summer and six weeks off for spring festival.  they have the time if the quarantine allows beach use and is not restricted to the hotel room, and a good percentage have the money to afford package tours.

Wishful thinking.

Would YOU go to China on a holiday under the same terms?

So if YOU wouldn't, what makes you think other people would?

The reason I travelled around Europe recently to certain destinations, is because no covid test and no quarantine was required.

At most, I would consider ONE covid test prior to arrival, and "unmonitored self isolation", which is what Indonesia is doing on business visas. And this is because I have been to Bali before.

New travellers, no chance. They would not even go for that.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, madmen said:

The elephant in the room is thai people themselves with the overwhelming majority wanting to keep borders closed 

IMO! The real "elephant in the room" is the fact that Thailand will open to tourists when they are told they can by whoever is driving the "ContolaVirus" agenda ????

& not a day before! despite all the showboating!

• Like 2

I dont know where they get this info from, I am intouch with a couple of Russian families who for sure want to come but cannot get out of the country they know its pretty safe here in Phuket and are willing to spend some time here, would rather spend the winter months in Phuket 

Free visa on arrival but 90days instead of 30 days,no Thai embassy involved,check inn with negative covid test not older than 72 hours,tourist can choose the airline they want,can choose the covid insurance they want,all covid tests in Thailand paid by Thai government,quarantine hotels 100$ per night including 3 meals not longer than 10 days.This would cut costs by half or more and I'm sure some tourist would come

2 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Free visa on arrival but 90days instead of 30 days,no Thai embassy involved,check inn with negative covid test not older than 72 hours,tourist can choose the airline they want,can choose the covid insurance they want,all covid tests in Thailand paid by Thai government,quarantine hotels 100$ per night including 3 meals not longer than 10 days.This would cut costs by half or more and I'm sure some tourist would come

The best would be a "Welcome, your country is Covid-free" by WHO standards. But unfortunately, it doesn't look like European countries will make it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

Wishful thinking.

Would YOU go to China on a holiday under the same terms?

So if YOU wouldn't, what makes you think other people would?

The reason I travelled around Europe recently to certain destinations, is because no covid test and no quarantine was required.

At most, I would consider ONE covid test prior to arrival, and "unmonitored self isolation", which is what Indonesia is doing on business visas. And this is because I have been to Bali before.

New travellers, no chance. They would not even go for that.

maybe.  depends.  what are the exact terms, and what is my particular situation?  if i want to visit a country (any country with minimal covid threat) for a long period of time, a couple weeks of quarantine is doable.

depends on A) cost of quarantine, and B) restrictions.  keep the cost reasonable and quarantine in a beach resort, afterwards free run of the country.  sure.  why not?  otherwise i might could be stuck sitting around hindquarters, texas with nothing to do but count tumbleweeds?

my typical vacation involves flying to xxx country, assembling bicycle, and touring for 3-6 months.  i can handle a quarantine on the beach.

covid insurance is irrelevant.  i always have health insurance.  my insurance covers covid.  take a covid test or two or three?  okay, fine.

retiree types who want to buy a condo and spend 6-8 months in the tropics will put up with quarantine to avoid spending the winter in -40C misery.

8 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

otherwise i might could be stuck sitting around hindquarters, texas with nothing to do but count tumbleweeds?

Putting all things in balance, if I was American and Asia would be too much of a headache, I would "sacrifice" myself to go to Mexico to escape winter, which many are doing anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Putting all things in balance, if I was American and Asia would be too much of a headache, I would "sacrifice" myself to go to Mexico to escape winter, which many are doing anyway.

that of course was just an example of retired in home country.

i'm currently sitting in my apartment in hainan, sadly contemplating that my thai non-o (retirement) extension with re-entry permit will expire in 6 hours and 11 minutes (beijing time).

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

These people are absolute roasters....nobody is going to do 2 weeks quarantine bar extreme cases. Get that through your thick heads

Funny you should mention "quarantine bar"....I have it on good authority (from a friend currently in quarantine) that Alcohol is strictly forbidden!

Imagine that on top of being locked in your cell 23 hours a day in Solitary Confinement!

NO THANKS! 

image.png.62ecf7d05c557f57ae2418cb1f331382.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The message to Sontaya Khunpleum was open up now or face more collapse.

Why? I wonder if it's "Pattaya's strongarm mayor's" decision to open country for tourism? I would think that it's up to the government...????

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Very nasty. Pray tell how many people from Britain go to Thailand who are on benifit and what kind of benifit is that affords over a thousand on flights and accommodation? I'm a Brit who has lived in thailand on and off since 2002 only recently 2019 returning to the uk to live. I always had brand new SUV's 4x4's and brand new motorbikes so am I one of these Brits you despise? What an attitude. Never judge a book by its cover.

I thought I had written "some Europeans" and not "all the Brits"... maybe I am losing it...