Open up Pattaya to foreign tourists NOW! Russians/Europeans are willing to quarantine, say tourism leaders

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seriously doubt legit tourists would be prepared to do quarantine. Expats living/working here ...... maybe. People with properties/families ........ maybe. Criminals/illegal workers .

Very few tourists will be willing to jump over the onerous hoops this stunningly uncreative administration is putting forth. Perhaps a few thousand per year. Expats, yes. Tourists, no. Dumb and dumber

With the baht getting stronger every day why would anybody want to come here as a tourist and lose money and quarantine for fourteen days at their expense .

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

At least the leaders in Pattaya understand that Chinese people don't get long holidays so can't stay long enough to warrant staying in state prison quarantine for 2 weeks. Even if someone comes from a higher risk country they would have taken a covid19 test so would be covid19 free. The purpose of the two weeks of paid for quarantine prison is that the virus shows up within two weeks. TAT makes the tourist take out $100,000 of insurance against insurance so that would be a nice earner for the country. Russians and Europeans who can afford to come for 90 days will spend their money in Thailand and not on Zero Dollar tours like the Chinese. Someone must be earning money from brown envelopes. 

okay, so they don't want (and won't get) short-term tourists.

what about retired snowbirds?

there are millions and millions of retired chinese from the cold north that buy second (or third or fourth) apartments down south as their winter residences.  expensive apartments.  equivalent condo units in pattaya would cost about 1/4 to 1/3 that of hainan condos.

two weeks quarantine shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for that type of traveler, less of an imposition when the government gets around to authorizing home quarantine.

and how is the covid insurance an earner for thailand?  tourists buy travel insurance with covid cover from any agency.  unless i'm misteaken, it's only the o-a visas and extensions that require thai insurance, separate from the covid insurance for tourists.

aside from that, there are around 15 million teachers in china that get two months off in summer and six weeks off for spring festival.  they have the time if the quarantine allows beach use and is not restricted to the hotel room, and a good percentage have the money to afford package tours.

• Thanks 1

Even if you open the airport and promise free beer or 80% off hotel you are not going to get the quantity they want.  First people in the west do not have the money they do not trust the airlines and are presently all suffering with outbreaks

16 minutes ago, wombat said:

i guess you haven't seen WS at night since Covid?

I watch the bars in Central Pattaya. They don't care about Covid regulations. Also their customers don't care. But I understand them. The regulations are not easy to follow at this kind of business. And then I imagine what could happen if people with Corona visit many different nightlife locations. I think Pattaya will get a bigger problem. Perhaps they might have to close everything again. 

• Sad 3
4 hours ago, keith101 said:

With the baht getting stronger every day why would anybody want to come here as a tourist and lose money and quarantine for fourteen days at their expense .

I've never heard of a currency gain strength over multiple months, while the economy it's attached to dwindles and dies - it's extraordinary 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I seriously doubt legit tourists would be prepared to do quarantine.

Expats living/working here ...... maybe.

People with properties/families ........ maybe.

Criminals/illegal workers ......... maybe.

2-3 weeks tourists, not a bloody chance.

Snowbirds.......Yes.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Oldie said:

Pattaya with all its nightlife is for sure the best place to allow foreigners from high risk countries to enter...

What for? 

To promise Thai ladies a rose garden when in fact they have nothing? 

If anything, then the Dark Side of Pattaya will be the place to go for tourists. 

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Some Europeans, after having secured their unemployment benefits, would rather spend the winter sitting on a bar stool, watching the cars passing by and enjoying their fresh exhaust fumes. 

This is exactly what Pattaya and a number of other tourist destinations need. A regular customer or collection of customers will do the world of good to many businesses. The trickle down effect of some people being allowed to spend their money in town will help many.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I watch the bars in Central Pattaya. They don't care about Covid regulations. Also their customers don't care. But I understand them. The regulations are not easy to follow at this kind of business. And then I imagine what could happen if people with Corona visit many different nightlife locations. I think Pattaya will get a bigger problem. Perhaps they might have to close everything again. 

And then it will get tougher for Farangs. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Totally sick of these 'economic' idiots putting money before life...!

An economy in recession can be recovered from, death cannot.....!

And just in time for Europes' second wave....pockets before brains..!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, Chang_paarp said:

This is exactly what Pattaya and a number of other tourist destinations need. A regular customer or collection of customers will do the world of good to many businesses. The trickle down effect of some people being allowed to spend their money in town will help many.

Yes, but they must have the money they pretend to have. 

• Sad 2

They keep on about opening up for tourists to come ASAP

With quite a few of the Countries UK most of Europe ect getting worse Corivirus wise 

Plus not many airlines flying and the quarantine requirements 

I think they need to smell the coffee its not going to happen until next year earliest 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

aside from that, there are around 15 million teachers in china that get two months off in summer and six weeks off for spring festival.  they have the time if the quarantine allows beach use and is not restricted to the hotel room, and a good percentage have the money to afford package tours.

Wishful thinking.

Would YOU go to China on a holiday under the same terms?

So if YOU wouldn't, what makes you think other people would?

The reason I travelled around Europe recently to certain destinations, is because no covid test and no quarantine was required.

At most, I would consider ONE covid test prior to arrival, and "unmonitored self isolation", which is what Indonesia is doing on business visas. And this is because I have been to Bali before.

New travellers, no chance. They would not even go for that.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, madmen said:

The elephant in the room is thai people themselves with the overwhelming majority wanting to keep borders closed 

IMO! The real "elephant in the room" is the fact that Thailand will open to tourists when they are told they can by whoever is driving the "ContolaVirus" agenda 🤔

& not a day before! despite all the showboating!

• Like 2