Pattaya: Totally useless pipes cause delay to Walking Street cable burying

rooster59

Pattaya: Totally useless pipes cause delay to Walking Street cable burying

121464009_3628274913860083_1044534947222306130_o.jpg

Image: STV Pattaya

A delegation of operators in Walking Street who went to see the mayor were told why the burying of the unsightly cables on the famed red light street was taking so long. 

Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem said that the problems concern pipes laid by the Ministry of Science and Technology 20 years ago. 

Pipes that he admitted were totally pointless. 

The electrical authorities were going to use these to bury the cables meaning that the road would not have to be dug up. 

But this had created a legal mess as City Hall were the owners of the pipes and the electrical authorities would have had to pay compensation to use them. 

It now looks as though the pipes will be taken out and the wires buried as per the original plan meaning digging up the street. Work is expected to proceed in November.

Walking Street association chief Naris Petcharat was also updated on plans for the beautification of the street including its footpaths and a promised "beautiful roof frame". Exactly what form this would take was unclear from the Sophon report. 

A beachside walk is also in the offing as well as landscaping of the South Pattaya area including the Bali Hai port area where recent reports suggested that multi million baht work some years ago had been a monumental waste of money.

Sontaya said there were still plans and studies to be completed before he could be more specific.

Source: STV Pattaya

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-17

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pipes that he admitted were totally pointless

that's impossible! installing wrong pipes makes sense.. so it can removed and be re-installed again and again and again and again and................................

Edited by pattayadude
  • Haha 1

Logically the pipes should be there for something, dont know what pipes (iron concrete plastic).

It would be wise to determine what was/is the use. Otherwise you could have an old problem back again.

A problem like KerryD described. But ok im not an engineer of expert.

But the ones who are involved arent that clever, if i might say so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Those old pipes (originally labelled as "ancient" when they first "discovered" them) were the pipes draining the water from Walking Street.

If they are "ancient" maybe they could become a tourist attraction.  They could be promoted as ancient Thai aqueducts.  ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But this had created a legal mess as City Hall were the owners of the pipes and the electrical authorities would have had to pay compensation to use them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't this all be sorted out in the planning stage....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Pipes have been laid in Pattaya North, Pattaya Klang for some years now and yet not a single wire has gone underground yet! In the last 21 years that I have lived here I have always seen new wires go up but never seen old redundant wires come down. 

The only thing that seems to come down in Pattaya are under-garmets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You mean they will dig up the streets when there are pipes already there because there is a 'legal' issue?  ***********!

I thought you knew enough about Thailand to know what the real reason for projects in Pattaya is. Hint- it's not about making things better.

Looking at every project in Pattaya done by the council ( as opposed to private enterprise ), I doubt anyone can point to a success that happened on time and within budget. Far as I can tell, most collapse or don't work anyway.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, JusticeGB said:

Pipes have been laid in Pattaya North, Pattaya Klang for some years now and yet not a single wire has gone underground yet! In the last 21 years that I have lived here I have always seen new wires go up but never seen old redundant wires come down. 

there's time for this to happen.......i been doing lottery for years .......one time.....one time i JUST MIGHT WINN.....abit like burying wires I suppose !!!!

On 10/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, JusticeGB said:

Come for a wander down Sukhumvit South of Pattaya Tai. Wires getting removed by the truckload. Even the ones that used to go through the roof space of the police box on the corner of Thepprasit.  They also demolished some on Huay Yai Rd recently, my bloody internet out for 2 days as Somchai got carried away.

Cheers