Damage Done: Phuket’s tourism industry will take years to recover, say experts

Damage Done: Phuket’s tourism industry will take years to recover, say experts

By The Phuket News

1602697546_1-org.jpg

Shops remain shuttered throughout Kata, one of the tourism areas on the island devastated by the economic crisis. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The damage to Phuket’s tourism industry by the COVID-19 prevention measures has already been done, and will take years to recover from, Phuket Chamber of Commerce President Thanusak Phungdet told The Phuket News this week.

Worse, if a moratorium on loan repayments for tourism businesses is not extended beyond the end of this month, the damage will deepen, adding even more years to the expected time frame for the industry to recover, he said.

“We have shouted this and shown the extent of the damage done to the industry for months, and yet still nothing has been done,” Mr Thanusak said on Monday (Oct 12).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/damage-done-phuket-tourism-industry-will-take-years-to-recover-say-experts-77645.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-17

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will take some time for Bangkok corporations to realize why they get less profit from mobile network and internet usage; for elder Isaan farmers to realize why they get less money support from

I think the only positive thing about this Crisis;  the recovery of the marine ecosystem.

Phuket wouldn't be the only place.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The damage was done more than 30 years ago. Anyone who recommend a person to visit Phuket needs a medical check-up 🙂 . I had the luck to stay at Rawai (preferred by the Thai) and Patong (01 hotel and 3 guesthouses, not a single bar, just one restaurant on the beach) ) about 40 years ago.

# Me Too 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“We have shouted this and shown the extent of the damage done to the industry for months, and yet still nothing has been done,” Mr Thanusak said on Monday (Oct 12).

I hope Mr T has some strong allies in the right places.....

or his shouting might cause something to be done alright

28 minutes ago, engamann said:

Dont expect any help from the junta leader Cha Cha , him and his generals dont give a <deleted> 

about you people , the downafall of Thailand started already back in 2014.

Uncle Ned is working on that in BKK as we speak.  :wink: