Damage Done: Phuket’s tourism industry will take years to recover, say experts

rooster59

Damage Done: Phuket’s tourism industry will take years to recover, say experts

By The Phuket News

1602697546_1-org.jpg

Shops remain shuttered throughout Kata, one of the tourism areas on the island devastated by the economic crisis. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The damage to Phuket’s tourism industry by the COVID-19 prevention measures has already been done, and will take years to recover from, Phuket Chamber of Commerce President Thanusak Phungdet told The Phuket News this week.

Worse, if a moratorium on loan repayments for tourism businesses is not extended beyond the end of this month, the damage will deepen, adding even more years to the expected time frame for the industry to recover, he said.

“We have shouted this and shown the extent of the damage done to the industry for months, and yet still nothing has been done,” Mr Thanusak said on Monday (Oct 12).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/damage-done-phuket-tourism-industry-will-take-years-to-recover-say-experts-77645.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-17

6 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The damage was done more than 30 years ago. Anyone who recommend a person to visit Phuket needs a medical check-up ???? . I had the luck to stay at Rawai (preferred by the Thai) and Patong (01 hotel and 3 guesthouses, not a single bar, just one restaurant on the beach) ) about 40 years ago.

# Me Too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“We have shouted this and shown the extent of the damage done to the industry for months, and yet still nothing has been done,” Mr Thanusak said on Monday (Oct 12).

I hope Mr T has some strong allies in the right places.....

or his shouting might cause something to be done alright

28 minutes ago, engamann said:

Dont expect any help from the junta leader Cha Cha , him and his generals dont give a <deleted> 

about you people , the downafall of Thailand started already back in 2014.

Uncle Ned is working on that in BKK as we speak.  :wink:

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It was going downhill before Covid19 I dont care what the experts say

Only those who are blind cannot see it, the problem goes far deeper than covid and started a long time before it came along.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I think the only positive thing about this Crisis;  the recovery of the marine ecosystem.

The sewage still goes into ocean. As you know  the rains are very big this year. Overflow runoff has been going into the ocean. No treatment and it takes all the contamination with it.  So much diesel, petrol runoff from roads. The damaged and sun bleached coral is dead, and cannot heal in 6 months. It is gone forever. If only they planted vegetation or even use small stones and not concrete over anything to allow water to be absorbed on land. Thank you

15 hours ago, Pottinger said:

What a supremely stupid remark.

Think man.  What's the point.  Ok, Phuket tourism has tanked; and now what.  Let's do something other than talk.  Start a GOFUND, save it somehow.  I love Thailand, but talk is cheap because it exceeds the demand....

17 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The damage was done more than 30 years ago. Anyone who recommend a person to visit Phuket needs a medical check-up ???? . I had the luck to stay at Rawai (preferred by the Thai) and Patong (01 hotel and 3 guesthouses, not a single bar, just one restaurant on the beach) ) about 40 years ago.

And I had the beaches of the Sinai peninsula to myself 40 years ago , the world has changed !

The point is , and Phuket is just a part of it , is that international tourism has collapsed in Thailand and may not recover for some time.

And what has the Thai government done to support the individuals and businesses affected , next to nothing !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

Think man.  What's the point.  Ok, Phuket tourism has tanked; and now what.  Let's do something other than talk.  Start a GOFUND, save it somehow.  I love Thailand, but talk is cheap because it exceeds the demand....

Well the government might help , no ? I keep hearing how well they have managed covid , infections are just one side of the story.

• Thanks 1