Requirements to open an account with Kasikornbank?

Hi

What are the current requirements to open a bank account with Kasikornbank? I'm a foreigner staying in Bangkok. I'm not working in Thailand so I do not have a Thai work permit. 

I'm here a non-imm O visa and need to open a Thai bank account and transfer 400K THB to it and I would prefer Kasikornbank. 

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The only absolute requirement is passport and proof of residence.  For the last, they might accept a lease or might require you to get a letter from Immigration.

In practice, it seems to vary by branch.

Yes so true. Bangkok Bank would not open an account for me even though I had an account with them where I used to live in Thailand. I went to the another branch in the shopping centre and it was no problem. Go figure

So if you get rejected at one branch try another. 

You don't need a work permit; your long stay visa is enough. You might get asked for an embassy certified copy of your passport which has been also sighted and stamped by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs but try without that first up.

Edited by Isaan Alan
added an extra comment

When i first tried to open an account at my nearest kasikorn bank i showed them my passort with retirement visa they said no... i needed a work permit then i pulled out my thai driving licence and they said yes ok,

Fact is if you ask 10 different employees maybe you get 10 different answers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The only absolute requirement is passport and proof of residence.  For the last, they might accept a lease or might require you to get a letter from Immigration.

I already have a account with the kasikorn bank that I opened it ten years ago Now 2 weeks ago I wanted to open a another account with the bank and they said I can not. They said I needed a non-OA visa not a non-o visa. I said say what? I already have a account with you. So I asked for the manage and he said the same thing. So I rang their hot line number and they said the same. Sounds very stupid to me as I already have a account with them, but I guess you can't fight city hall.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I already have a account with the kasikorn bank that I opened it ten years ago Now 2 weeks ago I wanted to open a another account with the bank and they said I can not. They said I needed a non-OA visa not a non-o visa. I said say what? I already have a account with you. So I asked for the manage and he said the same thing. So I rang their hot line number and they said the same. Sounds very stupid to me as I already have a account with them, but I guess you can't fight city hall.

I have had a K Bank account for over 15 years. Last year went in to try to get a secured credit card and they said sorry, you need a retirement visa. 

• Like 1

I had the same rubbish with all major banks in BKK.

I'm on a Non O-A

Good morning Sir, how can we help?

I want to open an account.

Great, have a seat. You want a coffee Sir.

Yes, please milk and sugar.

5 minutes later. Can I have your work permit? Don't have any. Retired. Lazy.

Ohhh, can not Sir. Quickly guided me to the door.

Probably getting more money each month then the bank manager. 555

I went to UOB, Singaporean bank. Very good service. Had to deposit 50k Baht. Opened account and could, if I wanted, withdraw funds straight ahead.

• Like 2

Opening a bank account is all down to the branch manager. If you have continued problems, try contacting the kasikorn helpline, the frontline service will only give you the company policy but if you can speak to a supervisor. They seem to understand the need for foreigners to open a bank account to season the money for immigration and they can act as a go-between, translating your requirements. This worked for me, but I already had an existing account. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I had the same rubbish with all major banks in BKK.

I'm on a Non O-A

Good morning Sir, how can we help?

I want to open an account.

Great, have a seat. You want a coffee Sir.

Yes, please milk and sugar.

5 minutes later. Can I have your work permit? Don't have any. Retired. Lazy.

Ohhh, can not Sir. Quickly guided me to the door.

Probably getting more money each month then the bank manager. 555

There is a serious misalignment between Thai bank procedures for opening an account as a foreigner and the requirements from Thai Immigration for a Visa or 1-year Extension of stay application.

Most Thai banks will turn you away when wanting to open a bank-account while on a Visa Exempt, Tourist Visa or Non Imm O Visa.

But without such a bank-account you will not be able to meet the IO requirements.

>> When you are on a Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa it is somewhat easier (although many banks will require a Work Permit, while a Visa for reason of retirement strictly prohibits you from working - nice Catch-22).

But for those on VisaExempt or a Tourist Visa, it is a real ordeal and often have to try at 10-20 bank branches before they find one that is willing to open an account for them.  

The bright side is that it gives them already a taste of the Thai bureaucratic flexibility they will encounter when visiting their local IO... ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I don't think it's City Hall it's Kasikorn, they blocked me opening a second account also so instead I opened at Bangkok Bank and Krungsi, both are easier and better 

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I opened an account with Kasikorn on Asoke last year, and all I needed was my passport. I brought proof of residence (lease, letter from the building office, rent receipts, utility bills), but they had no interest in any of it - they were happy to accept the address I wrote on the application form without any evidence at all.

The conversation began with them asking for a work permit, but when I said that I was retired and showed them my (then) O-A and extension, they said "oh, ok" and proceeded to open the account for me.

As everyone has noted, your mileage may vary!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 1:59 PM, Sheryl said:

Like you said,it depends on the branch,but officially since early last year when they changed the requirements, a foreigner isn't allowed to open an account at K-Bank. Check the website:

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

I have 3 accounts with K-Bank, 2 savings and the third I opened just 2 months ago was my fixed deposit account.  Never had to show them anything more than my Passport which showed O-A, and my yellow book and Pink ID card.  The branch I use is in the Central Festival Lad Prao.  I also have an account with Krungsri, as that is where my Truck payment was made back when I had a Truck, and they wanted a savings account opened as well so they could just auto draft the payment every month.  No issues there either.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, tingtongfarang said:

When i first tried to open an account at my nearest kasikorn bank i showed them my passort with retirement visa they said no... i needed a work permit then i pulled out my thai driving licence and they said yes ok,

Fact is if you ask 10 different employees maybe you get 10 different answers.

Strange, why is a Thai driving licence more acceptable than a retirement visa?

It seems that a retirement visa is not looked highly upon in Thailand?

I opened several bank accounts only with a tourist visa, both Kasikorn and BBK accepted it, but that was many years ago.  A 1 year visa should be more than enough, and you need to bring a residence certificate , or a rental contract.  Also you need to try several branches, some of the staff are very hard to talk to. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, redpill17 said:

I've opened an account with K-Bank recently (Elite visa), Residence Certificate wasn't required. I think the only bank that cares for RC is Bangkok Bank, because I have UOB and Krungsri opened with just passport on tourist exempt. At K-Bank they told me that any long-term visa will do, but no tourists. SCB wants either work permit or retirement visa.

Last year tried to open a BA at Bangkok bank, my wife have a BA already for years at that location. In 2018 they want a Residence Certificate from immigration. In 2019 I have the RC and now they want a letter of my embassy. Clearly they do not like to give me a BA. I go to the Krungthai Bank and my poor sister in law could be a guarantee because she have a BA at that branch????

On 10/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, recom273 said:

Opening a bank account is all down to the branch manager. If you have continued problems, try contacting the kasikorn helpline, the frontline service will only give you the company policy but if you can speak to a supervisor. They seem to understand the need for foreigners to open a bank account to season the money for immigration and they can act as a go-between, translating your requirements. This worked for me, but I already had an existing account. 

The helpline (02-8888888) responded that Kasikorn will NOT open an account for me without a "retirement visa".  Their position never wavered despite my explanation that such a visa does not exist.

I even attempted to open an account in person with the assistance of a Kasikorn employee who is the regional Manager for a division of Kasikorn (personal friend of family).  The branch manager also stated that I must have a "retirement visa".

Best go elsewhere and take ALL family accounts with you.

Edited by gamb00ler
speling

9 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The helpline (02-8888888) responded that Kasikorn will NOT open an account for me without a "retirement visa".  Their position never wavered despite my explanation that such a visa does not exist.

I even attempted to open an account in person with the assistance of a Kasikorn employee who is the regional Manager for a division of Kasikorn (personal friend of family).  The branch manager also stated that I must have a "retirement visa".

Best go elsewhere.

they are referring to a non Imm O or OA based on retirement or a subsequent extension