Requirements to open an account with Kasikornbank?

18 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The helpline (02-8888888) responded that Kasikorn will NOT open an account for me without a "retirement visa".  Their position never wavered despite my explanation that such a visa does not exist.

On my 1st attempt to open a Kasikorn savings-account they told me they could not do it because I needed a Work Permit.  Explaining that working is strictly prohibited when staying on a Non Imm O-A Visa or Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, did not help.  Sorry not possible... 

I knew this Work Permit requirement was BS because many retirees have opened a bank-account without such a Permit, so I waited couple of days and then returned and asked for the local branch Manager (who was not present on my 1st attempt). 

I explained that I needed  a bank-account to  park the funds for my upcoming 1-year extension of stay end of January.  Response: no problem, and got referred to same staffer that previously told me Not possible.

During the process to open the account the bank officer also asked for my 'retirement Visa'.  I showed them the Non Imm O-A Visa sticker in my passport, but that sticker does not mention the word 'retirement', so I had to explain 3 times that this was the 'retirement Visa' they were looking for.  Took very long to open the account (staffer being 3/4 of the time on the phone with headquarters for instructions), but finally succeeded.

>> And that was for an application with a Non Imm Visa, wonder how many times you would be turned down when applying on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa that also need a bank-account in order to apply for their in-country 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  

From reports it seems that KrungSri Bank is one of the rare banks not making problems when trying to open an account.  And it seems that bank-branches situated in shopping malls are also more familiar with opening a bank-account for a foreigner 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

On my 1st attempt to open a Kasikorn savings-account they told me they could not do it because I needed a Work Permit.  Explaining that working is strictly prohibited when staying on a Non Imm O-A Visa or Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, did not help.  Sorry not possible... 

I knew this Work Permit requirement was BS because many retirees have opened a bank-account without such a Permit, so I waited couple of days and then returned and asked for the local branch Manager (who was not present on my 1st attempt). 

I explained that I needed  a bank-account to  park the funds for my upcoming 1-year extension of stay end of January.  Response: no problem, and got referred to same staffer that previously told me Not possible.

During the process to open the account the bank officer also asked for my 'retirement Visa'.  I showed them the Non Imm O-A Visa sticker in my passport, but that sticker does not mention the word 'retirement', so I had to explain 3 times that this was the 'retirement Visa' they were looking for.  Took very long to open the account (staffer being 3/4 of the time on the phone with headquarters for instructions), but finally succeeded.

>> And that was for an application with a Non Imm Visa, wonder how many times you would be turned down when applying on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa that also need a bank-account in order to apply for their in-country 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  

From reports it seems that KrungSri Bank is one of the rare banks not making problems when trying to open an account.  And it seems that bank-branches situated in shopping malls are also more familiar with opening a bank-account for a foreigner 

So you only needed your passport to open the account? When was this? 

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The helpline (02-8888888) responded that Kasikorn will NOT open an account for me without a "retirement visa".  Their position never wavered despite my explanation that such a visa does not exist.

I even attempted to open an account in person with the assistance of a Kasikorn employee who is the regional Manager for a division of Kasikorn (personal friend of family).  The branch manager also stated that I must have a "retirement visa".

Yes, you are correct ..

You are talking about opening your first account. I think there has been a bank policy for over a year that no new accounts to westerners, with the exception of “retirement visas”. I think that has been documented here in the past, however as with all Kasikorn policy, it’s at the discretion of the branch manager.

The OP was about opening a second bank account with Kasikorn. 

The way I got to open a second account is by talking to a supervisor at the helpline. I got to speak to her on a totally unrelated subject. I was having a rant at her, and I mentioned the ridiculous policy of only one account for non-o holders, yet “retirement” or teachers with work permit and their 29K a month could open as many as they liked.
She stopped me and asked me “What I was talking about?” - I explained my situation of having a few million in one account, attached to one atm card in my back pocket with internet shopping privileges was ridiculous, she stated that this was down to the discretion of the branch manager, she then said she would speak to my local branch and put my case to the manager.

She called back the next day, telling me to attend the branch and claim my second account, it was a revelation, after years of refusal, suddenly they were happy to comply to my request.

Yes, you are correct, Kasikorn helpline FLS will not deviate from the company policy written in their on-screen rule book. 

The way I got to open my first account was through a friend with a teaching agency, she wrote a letter stating I had just been hired and my WP was in process but there would be a need to pay me before the WP arrived. Its pretty standard procedure, I have worked for about 4 companies and schools over 10 years and always obtained a different bank account using this method. Maybe worth checking to see if your family have a friend, a company director who is willing to help. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, teacherclaire said:

A suitcase full with money and tell them you'd like to talk to the manager.

That's how I opened my first bank account here. 

This is exactly why they won’t open first account like this, they are scared stiff of money laundering, they are convinced that foreign nationals with long standing marriages are prime suspects for rinsing proceeds of international crime through their systems, ???? but everything is worth a try, right?