Is now a good time to buy a condo in Bangkok?

Depends. If you are a poor person, it's always a stupid thing to buy a condo in Thailand. If you are a rich person then its usually a good idea.

Discounts are to be had now. Sellers, especially those that want/need to sell relatively soon will be very happy to find a buyer, so make sure to go in low and see how they respond.

But if it were me, I'd wait a bit longer. The market might go down even more. Especially if the vaccine takes a long time to come and the political side gets out of control. Even if those two things don't happen, there will still be good discounts to be had for a few months ...or more. In my opinion.

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 2

Maybe - if you are going to live in it long term.  Compare the rent you'd be paying to live in Bangkok to the mortgage payments.  Also check if probable rental value covers the loan repayments - but be realistic, it's a tough market.

But no if you think it will be an investment.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I know a couple of guys in Pattaya who have rented for 15 years and regret not buying, it would have paid for itself by now

I know a couple of guys in Pattaya who bought a house in their hooker wife's name, and were evicted within the year.

If you buy her a house, does she really need you anymore? 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I know a couple of guys in Pattaya who bought a house in their hooker wife's name, and were evicted within the year.

I agree I wouldn't get married here or put a property in her name

• Like 2

A Thai friend of mine has been looking recently to buy a new condo for her son. She went to roughly ten places and no seller offered any form of discount on their advertised prices, continuing to hold the line that these shoeboxes are selling out fast.

17 minutes ago, alien365 said:

A Thai friend of mine has been looking recently to buy a new condo for her son. She went to roughly ten places and no seller offered any form of discount on their advertised prices, continuing to hold the line that these shoeboxes are selling out fast.

Took me 5 minutes to get down from 26,000 to 17,000 a month.....only to find my neighbor got his for 14,000.

They must be looking in the wrong place.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I looked at 10 Condos in a block that needed a total refurb and were overpriced and probably empty for years and will stay empty for years, Thais don't seem to realise what they have I.e. a overvalued sh*ty condo needing a refurb 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Whenever I invested in anything, I lost money faster than just having it sitting in a zero interest bank account.

Now any spare cash I have sits in a UK bank account losing value.

I agree that's what most people do, it's a bit mythical for some posters to claim the alternative to buying is investing the money and getting 5%. It just doesn't work like that, it's all about timing, markets go up and down

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree that's what most people do, it's a bit mythical for some posters to claim the alternative to buying is investing the money and getting 5%. It just doesn't work like that, it's all about timing, markets go up and down

Try P-2-P lending I have two accounts...one averages 5.1% the other 6.8%.......

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

In Isaan, you can build yourself a castle.

Yeh, but in Bangkok you can have a condo with a moat around it every few years. Maybe permanently in 10 years time. And if the youth are still demonstrating you get to pour boiling oil on them from the 7th floor upwards.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hoopsandyoyo said:

In Pattaya, I had a general location I was looking for.  The place I just closed on this week, was in the exact location I wanted, the size I wanted- #130 sqm, and from it’s original listing price from 12 months ago has been relisted 3 times at a lower price.  I gave a even further, low ball offer and the seller countered with his offer which was still less than #25,000 per square 

3M is too much for a condo in Thailand IMHO.

What happens when they reject your VISA extension for some bogus reason?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes,but only a very silly person,would buy a house in their wifes name..yet many do.

Good luck to them..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've not noticed anything 'loosening up' in the world since the day the borders closed.

If anything, in the west it's tightening up.

So now you concede it's not just Thailand. But you'd have to read the news and have your eyeglasses prescription up to date. In Pattaya, First Optic is most recommended. Or perhaps the usual paranoia creates such selective perception.

Since last week:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1187191-foreigners-offered-new-‘smart-visa’-if-they-buy-a-condo-in-thailand-elite-card-holders-offered-work-permits/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1187695-here-they-come-120-chinese-from-guangzhou-set-to-arrive-at-bangkok-airport-on-tuesday/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1186794-foreign-property-owners-now-allowed-to-return-to-thailand/

and

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1185879-stv-preliminary-country-list/

Note "foreign property owners." So that's definitely loosening from the total lockdown before, and the trend looks to continue as pressure mounts. Not to omit the salutary effect of the vaccines coming down the pike.

Edited by BigStar