Help me out with allergies

rahi

Hey

It might be a stretch but I wonder if anyone who has allergies, could recognise whats going on. So I have had allergies since kid and had allergy skin tests done and they show that I am allergic to cats, dogs, hazelnut, birch and parsnip. So since I am from Europe and now stuck here, my face is red from cheeks and forehead and It also gets swollen and flaky (like atopic skin). So the mysterious part is that when I am in Asia, those issues are gone. Only things which differ are the diet and humidity+sun. Since back at home, I eat "normal" european/western food and in Asia, mostly thai food. Weird thing is that whatever I change in my diet, I cannot get anything ruled out and antihistamines do not help (tried several presciption meds). The allergy tests have been quite extensive and my first guess was flours but they do not register on the test.

So anyone else experienced same?

Edited by rahi

I am allergic to cats, pollen, dust.. but have been treated since my childhood, so it's almost nothing, I take a Zyrtec (Cetirizine) pill when symptomatic (respiratory difficulties - sneezing)

Occasionnally ice cream, strawberries. beer ..can cause me itching,  and  then I take Telfast (Fexofenadine)

10 minutes ago, Opl said:

I am allergic to cats, pollen, dust.. but have been treated since my childhood, so it's almost nothing, I take a Zyrtec (Cetirizine) pill when symptomatic (respiratory difficulties - sneezing)

Occasionnally ice cream, strawberries. beer ..can cause me itching,  and  then I take Telfast (Fexofenadine)

Interesting. So for you Fexofenadine works better for itching?

9 minutes ago, rahi said:

Interesting. So for you Fexofenadine works better for itching?

When it becomes itching more and more - like a sudden crisis - a single Zyrtec pill can work for me too, within a couple of hours.

When it's more of a red skin lasting itching symptom, then Telfast during a few days.   

Edited by Opl

I am allergic to nuts (almonds to be precise) the first time I nearly choked, the second time I was itching all over my body. recently after a operation I was on antibiotics for a lengthy spell and have now become allergic to a certain antibiotic (symptoms: itchy hands and feet, which I still have but less so, a month after stopping)

3 hours ago, rwill said:

1) have a dermatologist look at it to see if it is another problem.

2) Perhaps a humidifier in your house would help. 

It's really hard to say what causes your allergies. But there are things that can help. When we have burn off season, I feel it in my eyes and throat, so I got a Sharp air purifier and I leave it run all night. It's so cheap to run and it works great. When my eyes get itchy and hurt I spray colloidal silver 15 parts per million in them. And my eyes are back to normal in a minute or two. Many things can help you, but the biggest cause for allergies  is the dust mites poo and you get that everywhere, So good luck and search out the things that can help.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, Opl said:

It looks as though I'm allergic to cats too. Bought some Clarityne tablets, symptoms went in a couple of days. Do I need to take these every day, or just when I get problems? Will be wearing a face mask when around cats in future.

7 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

It looks as though I'm allergic to cats too. Bought some Clarityne tablets, symptoms went in a couple of days. Do I need to take these every day, or just when I get problems? Will be wearing a face mask when around cats in future.

only when necessary, when you are symptomatic, 1 tablet, follow the prescription

Also beware of clothes you wear, in case cat hair stick to textiles  

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

Try cutting out milk/dairy products. It worked for our dog! Exact same symptoms!

I second that!

Have, sometimes quite debilitating allergie symptoms myself: cats & dogs (for those you don't know yet: it's a protein in their salvia that triggers the immune system), dust, fungus and several (European) grasses.

Even though I take anti histamin daily there are infrequent times when it hardly helps to keep the reactions in place.

What I have noticed: food has a huge impact on my wellbeing when it comes to allergies, even food that I have no detectable allergic reaction: milk & dairy, wheat, industrial sugar and product that contain a high amount and alcohol. In any of these, I rarely indulge.

Have two cats since one year and while it was a bit of a struggle in the beginning my immune system seems to have adapted to them. It still might play up on the day or day after on days that I indulge on aforementioned items though; antihistamine regardless.

Additionally, I have used masks since many years, a decade almost. Mainly during flights, which I have ammassed a quadruple digit of. Since I am using masks on flights a get less allergy problems on the days of arrival or thereafter and I found to be less sick.

It is a struggle to live with and manage allergies. That's essentially what it is: managing. Only some rare cases that I heard from people totally getting rid of their symptoms, most "curable" allergies I read about are quite singular, eg. only symptoms towards exposure cats & dogs.

Good luck with finding out what triggers your symptoms, if I could recommend anything its a) antihistamine regularly (I am using a liquid capsuled form of Loratadine 10mg selling under the name: Loreze) and b) read up on connection between stomach/digestive track and allergies; it seems to come to light through research in recent years that there is a bigger connection between these areas.

Good luck!