Why does CNN get blocked out from the news

TheFishman1

Same for other news channels. It seems to be done by the provider (True Visions for example) protect themselves from being dinged by the government.

True has a 5 minute delay for the news channels to give them time to block things. 

Moved to the general forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's also interesting, that probably the most significant event in Thai news doesn't get a single mention in the Thai News section of TVF,

You must be reading a different news section in TV than I am!

There are seven different news item in todays TVF news thread!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

I didn't see them making that clear. Can you point me to the post? And I didn't say "doesn't get a single mention".

From this pinned topic in the Thailand News Forum:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's not the news of the protests, it's what they're likely to flash over to, in order to provide more context to understand why these protests are different than in the past.

News outlets operating in Thailand are not likely to flash over to unflattering content that would put them in violation of lese majeste laws.  Like TVF, they have learned to self censor to stay out of trouble.

International news outlets make them twitchy because they cannot be counted on to self censor.   They never know what those rascals are going to show next.

yeah, thats a logical explanation

Yeah I would agree, it's the analysis of facts rather than just the reporting of the facts on the ground which is probably worrisome for them.

The truth is however probably 0.1% of the Thai population ever watches overseas news outlets, so what impact CNN has on the consciousness of the average Thai is laughable.

What influence it has on the paranoia of the ruling elite, well thats another matter!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

CNN not blocked via AIS, although I prefer the news on ABN from Singapore and the Thai Channel 3 news plus Nation TV - as they have live coverage so you can see where the current hot spots are.

One of the issues, and I thought about this last night as we watched C3 news, was the fact that domestic TV is reporting the facts, but very little comment.

Now I have been rather amazed I must say at some of the editorials in the Bangkok Post for one, which I never believed I would read in my lifetime.

But compared to a report I saw on NBC news last night which gave a rather good analysis of the reasons behind the protests and underlying issues, that you are never probably see within Thailand.

Well at least until there is true structural reform, and that I fear I will never see in my lifetime

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

The local media are reporting freely on the first three items of the protestors demands but will not talk about the fourth one. The foreign media will blather away about that what is proscribed here so it is easier just to block them for the duration of their report.

23 hours ago, impulse said:

It's not the news of the protests, it's what they're likely to flash over to, in order to provide more context to understand why these protests are different than in the past.

News outlets operating in Thailand are not likely to flash over to unflattering content that would put them in violation of lese majeste laws.  Like TVF, they have learned to self censor to stay out of trouble.

International news outlets make them twitchy because they cannot be counted on to self censor.   They never know what those rascals are going to show next.

This.