Thai Airways Claiming Refund Online

Hi, anyone else received an email recently advising them that they have until November 2nd to submit their debt repayment claim regards Thai Airways?

The online form is a bit laborious to fill in and needs a lot of info but hopefully signals that refunds are a little closer for cancelled flights.

6 hours ago, UB40 said:

I've got same. I filed registration with all details. But after all I'm not able to login. 555

Maybe a fake? I'm not sure anymore

There's a link on the Thai Airways website too so don't believe it was a scam. Wifey got one as well to her email as she had a flight booked separately.

Did you get the 200 bht admin fee at the end of the online form?

Thai airways has no money and it is in serious debt restructuring proceedings through voluntary administration  .... they don't even have cash for daily expenses such as airport landing fees, salaries  etc ....

Do you really think they are gonna give you a refund   ??     lol   ..... I can't believe your still hopeful. 

good luck but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thai airways has no money and it is in bankruptcy proceedings  .... they don't even have cash for daily expenses such as airport landing fees, salaries  etc ....

Do you really think they are gonna give you a refund   ??     lol   ..... I can't believe your still hopeful. 

Yeah I don't trust them as far as I could throw one of their A380's but when you're owed a lot of money you have to at least make a claim through official channels.

The fact that the Govt suddenly unsaddled themselves of any liability after divesting themselves of their majority share and still packing the Thai board with their own handpicked staff reeks of a stitch up but one lives in hope.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah I don't trust them as far as I could throw one of their A380's but when you're owed a lot of money you have to at least make a claim through official channels.

The fact that the Govt suddenly unsaddled themselves of any liability after divesting themselves of their majority share and still packing the Thai board with their own handpicked staff reeks of a stitch up but one lives in hope.

yeah ... I really hope you have success and get a good result but they delay, delay delay. I just recently got back a substantial refund from AA which took 7 months, 40 emails, 50 tweets, Expedia HQ boss, and numerous other ways .....  lol.  cheers.

Briefly

Anyone holding a ticket or ROP miles is a creditor.

Creditors must register.

A deadline seems appropriate as the reorg planners hope to submit a plan to the court in Q12021.

Tough choice: voucher which may be useless vs. satang on the baht in a few years? 

Some have been successfully lodging chargebacks. Some of those have been reversed, because a voucher is available. YMMV.

With regard to the creditors, the Legal Execution Department will inform the creditors of the Court’s order. In order to ensure that the creditors will not lose their rights to receive a debt repayment, the creditors must file the application for debt repayment to the official receiver, the Legal Execution Department, within one month from the date that the appointment of the planners is published in the Government Gazette. At present, as the Court granted the business reorganization petition and appointed the planners, the creditors can file the application for debt repayment online until 1 month after the Court's order is published in the Government Gazette expires.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/news/news_announcement/news_detail/news98.page

http://www.led.go.th/tgreorg/index.asp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thai airways has no money and it is in serious debt restructuring proceedings through voluntary administration  .... they don't even have cash for daily expenses such as airport landing fees, salaries  etc ....

As long as the stock is still trading, I  think we still have a fair chance of a refund. Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Asking myself, if I should sign-up at the bancruptcy court becoming a creditor or change my ticket to a travel voucher I decided to go for the travel voucher now.  I can't remember many cases where ticket holders received money from the bankrupt's estate.  So I go for the travel voucher now, hopeing that they will resume flights at some time.

But most likley I think, money and miles are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

What about the people who had their return flights out ofThailand cancelled ? 

A partially used ticket? That is, what Thai Airways is still writing about it:

Option 3: Refund for partially used tickets (ticket numbers starting with 217-)

• If some sectors of your ticket have been cancelled by THAI and/or THAI Smile, and you have already used part of your ticket, the refund will be calculated based on flight(s) flown and settled by the original issuing office.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/contact_us/thai_special_assistance_form.page?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taunusianer said:

Asking myself, if I should sign-up at the bancruptcy court becoming a creditor or change my ticket to a travel voucher I decided to go for the travel voucher now.  I can't remember many cases where ticket holders received money from the bankrupt's estate.  So I go for the travel voucher now, hopeing that they will resume flights at some time.

Seriously doubt that Thai have made any refunds as of now considering the rehabilitation plan hasn't even been ok'd in the bankruptcy court.

Chatting on the phone with someone on the helpline suggested any refunds will take a minimum of 8 months.

I enquired about a flight voucher but was told because we booked through an agency only the refund option was available.

Even if we get a refund will never fly with this mob again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Taunusianer said:

And even if Thai were to resume flights at some point, the $64,000 question remains as to whether the overall COVID-19 situation would have improved sufficiently as to make flying generally with any airline a practical proposition by then. Following the cancellation of the Thai flights for my planned trip to Europe last June I opted to have the ticket validity period extended until the end of next year. However, since I am becoming increasingly doubtful about the prospect of any European trip being able to take place before 2022 at the earliest, I have opted to register as a creditor on the principle of nothing ventured, nothing gained. That said, I am inclined to agree with you and others that, at the end of the day, those of us who have been victims of Thai flight cancellations as a result of COVID-19 can probably, in practice, go whistle for any sort of compensation.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Taunusianer said:

A partially used ticket? That is, what Thai Airways is still writing about it:

Option 3: Refund for partially used tickets (ticket numbers starting with 217-)

• If some sectors of your ticket have been cancelled by THAI and/or THAI Smile, and you have already used part of your ticket, the refund will be calculated based on flight(s) flown and settled by the original issuing office.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/contact_us/thai_special_assistance_form.page?

Thanks for that. I’ll sit tight here in Thailand until TA unravels. Don’t want a refund just a return ticket to Italy.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, edwinchester said:

Did you get the 200 bht admin fee at the end of the online form?

Sorry of my late reply. I'm tired of all that stealing money from the "little" ones. I gave up. I will never get a payback, because I'm to stupid to register.

In the meanwhile I understand the drastic increase of suicides of Thais in Thailand. 

On 11/8/2020 at 4:09 AM, torturedsole said:

Good luck with the TG refund. A voucher is only good if redeemed which is highly uncertain and there's definitely no cash available for a refund. 

Charge back on your credit card or claiming on your travel insurance is your best bet.

No prospect of a successful travel insurance claim in my experience, I'm afraid. The insurers informed me that my flight cancellations were not covered by any of their acceptable circumstances for appropriate benefit, and that I would therefore need to apply to THAI for a refund!

Gather that this get-out is pretty much standard in the travel insurance world generally in the case of flight cancellations caused by COVID-19.

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

I assume everyone else also got the below mail:

Dear Valued Customer,

As you may be aware, Thai Airways International PCL (THAI) is currently undergoing business
reorganization proceedings. The onset of the COVID-19 global pandemic and the comprehensive
travel restrictions have resulted in mass flight cancellations, and customers worldwide have been
applying for refunds. We sincerely apologize for the delay in processing the refund and any
inconvenience this may have caused.

In this regard, THAI is committed to facilitating for the utmost benefit of our customers who have
applied for a refund to the best of our ability by offering the Travel Voucher as attached. The Travel
Voucher holds equal value to your ticket, which can be used as credit to issue new tickets towards
any future flights operated by THAI or THAI Smile, including taxes and fuel surcharge payments.
This Travel Voucher will be valid until 31st December, 2022.

Conditions of the Travel Voucher:
• The Travel Voucher will be issued on behalf of passengers who hold a ticket only (1 voucher per 1
passenger ticket). However, the Travel Voucher can be used to issue tickets for any other passengers
with proof of documents provided at the time of new ticketing.
• Customers are not allowed to use more than 5 Travel Vouchers to redeem the ticket at a single time.
• In the event that the value of the Travel Voucher is insufficient for payment, the residual value will be
valid for ticket issuance until 31st December 2022. Customers will need to pay for any exceeding amount
by any of the available means of payment.
• If you have any questions, please contact THAI via THAI Contact Center at Tel. 02 356 1111 or email:
[email protected] or your local offices here
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/help/contact_us/world_wide_office.page

If you do not wish to use the offered Travel Voucher, your right to receive the refund as per your
request previously made shall remain intact (subject to local laws and the financial ability of THAI).

We look forward to serving our valued customers when the COVID-19 pandemic can be regulated
and THAI is allowed to operate normal flights. We truly appreciate your kind understanding and
support, and we hope to receive your continued trust in THAI in the near future.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, steven100 said:

in my country Air Canada owes something like 8000 refunds (issuing travel vouchers which most don't want) and now wants a  government bail out (funded by tax payers of course lol) , passengers are organizing class action lawsuits and the government is telling AC pay your debts or no $ for you - this airline has been bailed out too many times to count, I'd let it fail..

On 11/9/2020 at 5:43 AM, OJAS said:

Gather that this get-out is pretty much standard in the travel insurance world generally in the case of flight cancellations caused by COVID-19.

Probably there's a need of an insurance, if the other insurance doesn't cover. Its just a screwed s...t 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I assume everyone else also got the below mail:

Dear Valued Customer,

As you may be aware, Thai Airways International PCL (THAI) is currently undergoing business
reorganization proceedings. The onset of the COVID-19 global pandemic and the comprehensive
travel restrictions have resulted in mass flight cancellations, and customers worldwide have been
applying for refunds. We sincerely apologize for the delay in processing the refund and any
inconvenience this may have caused.

In this regard, THAI is committed to facilitating for the utmost benefit of our customers who have
applied for a refund to the best of our ability by offering the Travel Voucher as attached. The Travel
Voucher holds equal value to your ticket, which can be used as credit to issue new tickets towards
any future flights operated by THAI or THAI Smile, including taxes and fuel surcharge payments.
This Travel Voucher will be valid until 31st December, 2022.

Conditions of the Travel Voucher:
• The Travel Voucher will be issued on behalf of passengers who hold a ticket only (1 voucher per 1
passenger ticket). However, the Travel Voucher can be used to issue tickets for any other passengers
with proof of documents provided at the time of new ticketing.
• Customers are not allowed to use more than 5 Travel Vouchers to redeem the ticket at a single time.
• In the event that the value of the Travel Voucher is insufficient for payment, the residual value will be
valid for ticket issuance until 31st December 2022. Customers will need to pay for any exceeding amount
by any of the available means of payment.
• If you have any questions, please contact THAI via THAI Contact Center at Tel. 02 356 1111 or email:
[email protected] or your local offices here
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/help/contact_us/world_wide_office.page

If you do not wish to use the offered Travel Voucher, your right to receive the refund as per your
request previously made shall remain intact (subject to local laws and the financial ability of THAI).

We look forward to serving our valued customers when the COVID-19 pandemic can be regulated
and THAI is allowed to operate normal flights. We truly appreciate your kind understanding and
support, and we hope to receive your continued trust in THAI in the near future.

I haven't received this particular email, but it is interesting to note that THAI appear to be no longer offering ticket validity extensions up until the end of next year as they were a few months ago. I opted for one of these on the basis of being able to reschedule my European trip planned for last June until 2021 (which is now looking an increasingly forlorn hope). You had to stick to the same itinerary (which would not have been an issue for me), but my understanding was that ticket prices would be frozen. With a voucher, on the other hand, you would need to pay a ticket price differential (not an insignificant consideration, I think, since air fares will probably only move in one direction post-COVID-19, and that is rapidly upwards). But at least you would not be tied to exactly the same itinerary as for your cancelled flights.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:07 AM, UB40 said:

Probably there's a need of an insurance, if the other insurance doesn't cover. Its just a screwed s...t 

Just as UK train operators used to blame winter travel disruption on the wrong kind of snow, so are travel insurers blaming COVID-19 for the wrong kind of flight cancellations, I think! ????

• Haha 1