Hong Kong activist Grandma Wong says kept back in Shenzhen for 14 months

rooster59

Hong Kong activist Grandma Wong says kept back in Shenzhen for 14 months

2020-10-17T064234Z_1_LYNXMPEG9G07F_RTROPTP_4_HONGKONG-SECURITY-ACTIVIST.JPG

Alexandra Wong, 64, a pro-democracy activist, attends a news conference after Chinese authorities kept her in custody for a month and a half, across the border in Shenzhen, in Hong Kong, China October 17, 2020. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

HONG KONG (Reuters) - A Hong Kong protester dubbed "Grandma Wong" said on Saturday that Chinese authorities kept her in custody for a month and a half across the border in Shenzhen, where she allegedly suffered mental abuse, and then prevented from coming back for over a year.

Grey-haired and bespectacled Alexandra Wong, 64, had been a familiar face at anti-government protests in Hong Kong last year, often waving a large British flag, but she disappeared from the streets around August last year.

Activists and human rights groups had expressed concern over her whereabouts.

Speaking to media for the first time since her release after completing 14 days in quarantine, Wong said she had been detained by Chinese police when she tried to return to her home in Shenzhen on August 14, 2019.

During about one and a half months detention at various centres, where up to 26 people would sleep in a room of less than 200 square feet, Wong said she was being interrogated almost every day about the Hong Kong protests.

"I didn't know what crime I committed," Wong said.

The Shenzhen Municipal Public Security Bureau could not be reached for comment.

After the detention, Wong said she was sent to the northwestern province of Shaanxi for a five-day patriotic camp in late September last year.

Until early this month, Wong had been restricted by authorities from returning to Hong Kong, pending a trial that never took place in the end. She stayed in her home in Shenzhen where she would get regular visits by the national security officers, she added.

"I was scared I would be stopped from coming back to Hong Kong... I was scared everyday something might happen again everyday day," Wong said.

Wong called for the release of the 12 activists who were intercepted at sea in late August by mainland authorities as they tried to flee by boat to Taiwan.

"I'm worried about the 12 young people; their treatment could be worse than me."

(Reporting by Jessie Pang; Writing by Anne Marie Roantree and Clare Jim; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-18

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Since when is Hong Kong a part of Shenzhen? 

It isn't, but wait until Hong Kongers living there and other parts of China are given the right to vote in Hong Kong elections.  Who knows what will happen then?  Apart from the Chinese Government that is!

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Chinese will call it 'Attitude Adjustment'; the Western World calls it 'Mental Torture', but sadly the Western World will do nothing to stop China acting in this way as they have money on their minds and little else !

and what should the western world do? start a nuclear war? try to starve them out with sanctions which may start the war? This isn't Iran we're talking about here, there could be real consequences for the whole world especially when Russia could have their backs - thankfully talk is cheap as hell.. (from both sides)

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Alexandra Wong, 64, a pro-democracy activist, attends a news conference after Chinese authorities kept her in custody for a month and a half, across the border in Shenzhen, in Hong Kong, China

the title says she was kept back in Shenzhen for 14 months, above it says they kept her in custody for 14 days and later down the post it says she was kept 14 days in Shenzhen ( since her release after completing 14 days in quarantine) under quarantine prevention, as it also says that she stayed at HER home in Shenzhen (She stayed in her home in Shenzhen)....

the post/news are very confusing and non sense, smells fishy

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the title says she was kept back in Shenzhen for 14 months, above it says they kept her in custody for 14 days and later down the post it says she was kept 14 days in Shenzhen ( since her release after completing 14 days in quarantine) under quarantine prevention, as it also says that she stayed at HER home in Shenzhen (She stayed in her home in Shenzhen)....

the post/news are very confusing and non sense, smells fishy

i read it as she was speaking to reporters in hong kong, after she returned from shenzhen...............the press conference was held following 14 days of quarantine in hong kong.

first reports said she "disappeared from the streets" implying the ccp somehow abducted her in hong kong.  she told reporters she tried to return to shenzhen on the 14th (that was bright!) when she was picked up by the mainland police.  she was kept in detention about 5 weeks, plus a week at a reeducation camp in shaanxi. 

the remainder of the time appears to be house arrest until returning to hong kong, although i'm not sure it wasn't closed borders due to covid that prevented her return.

you just read it wong.

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1

I posted a reply to somebody's earlier comment several hours ago and I don't see it here now........ What happened???? 

No mention of being deleted by moderation in the thread now...........

What happened............... OMG..... what is happening in ThaiVisa.com????????

I have gotten to the point that I seldom post anymore but I do find the news informative and I like ThaiVisa.com........... but I am gradually losing my interest in it.........It is 'pitiful' what TV has come down, down, down tooooooooooooooo.

MAYBE it is just a few of the Moderators that are ruining the very interesting site..............

• Sad 1