UK business groups urge Britain, EU to find compromise: FT

rooster59

UK business groups urge Britain, EU to find compromise: FT

2020-10-17T234125Z_1_LYNXMPEG9G0QX_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-BARCLAY-BARNIER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Union Jack and EU flags are pictured before the meeting with Britain's Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay and European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier at the EU Commission headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, September 20, 2019. Kenzo Tribouillard/Pool via REUTERS

(Reuters) - More than 70 British business groups representing over 7 million workers have made a last-ditch attempt to persuade politicians to get back on the dialogue table next week to strike a deal with the European Union, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Sunday.

The groups ranged from the CBI, TheCityUK and techUK to the National Farmers' Union, British Retail Consortium and the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders and asked for the sides to find a compromise over trade terms, the report added https://on.ft.com/2H8JayB.

"With compromise and tenacity, a deal can be done. Businesses call on leaders on both sides to find a route through", the newspaper quoted the groups as saying in a statement.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh; Editing by David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-18

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

A few polls from different political tendencies may give an idea.

Personally I think, except a few radicals, nobody really care about this Brexit thing now,

4 years ago, sure.

However, starting next year, assuming it change concretely their daily life, it may again.

A few radicals! ????

As Johnson is hell bent on sinking sterling, I doubt he'll take any notice of business groups, only the commands of his back benchers who keep him in power.

As for the EU, I trust Barnier will sink the Euro as well. Politicians - we could do without these despots. 

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Churchill said the biggest single argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with your average voter (or words to that effect)........the average voter is how we ended up with Brexit.

So cruel..with fickerunus connotations of course. 

52 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

A few polls from different political tendencies may give an idea.

Personally I think, except a few radicals, nobody really care about this Brexit thing now,

4 years ago, sure.

However, starting next year, assuming it change concretely their daily life, it may again.

At least we will be free radicals! ????

• Haha 1

One good thing to UK is that any illegal immigrant not anymore entrance there! Truck's stand so long time on border that inside there don't have enough food or water to survive! Or food is ruined!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

This notion of " free again " is ridiculous.

Being member, or not, of an union, for a country, has no influence at all on its sovereignty.

Said in fun but never mind. You know I disagree with you about the sovereignty issue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

One good thing to UK is that any illegal immigrant not anymore entrance there! Truck's stand so long time on border that inside there don't have enough food or water to survive!

OMG. Sicko alert.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Said in fun but never mind. You know I disagree with you about the sovereignty issue.

Well I have no problem at all with people who disagree with me, and have an own opinion.

After all it is only an opinion that we express.

However I experienced, that some consider their opinion as the only correct one, and thus a synonym of the only truth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I expect reactions to this with something like :

" We won, get used to it "

and of course the usual

confused, sad & haha emoticons.

Did you have something that is actually related to the topic discussed in this thread?

• Confused 1