Buying a second-hand car (Pattaya)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a second-hand car in Pattaya. I've never owner a car in Thailand so not that familiar with the market. I've owned many big bikes and scooters so quite familiar with that scene, but never a car.

The reason for buying a car is that I recently adopted two dogs, and realized I need to have a car to be able to transport them to various places as needed. Also, it will be used for general shopping and perhaps some road trips. Because of this I'm not really looking to spend a lot, in fact, as little as possible. I know that the dogs will probably pee in the car and ruin it 🙂

I've been looking at different cars on FB Marketplace, Bahtsold and visited a few car lots in Pattaya (very overpriced). A Thai friend of mine has told me to avoid Ford and Chevrolet, due to maintenance issues and difficulties getting parts. I tend to take advise from Thai people with a grain of salt, because sometimes they really don't know what they are talking about. 

What are your experiences with different car brands? Are there some to avoid? If you were looking to buy a car for say 100-150k THB, what make and model would you be looking it?

Thanks!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn’t know dogs peed in cars Steve! Why got get a Ute if that’s the case?

Yes get a pickup truck so they can pee in the back.   Second hand cars/trucks in Thailand are overpriced compared to other countries..but the running costs are lower here.   Get a

For that sort of money, all you'll probably get is a car that smells of pee, lol.

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Didn’t know dogs peed in cars Steve! Why got get a Ute if that’s the case?

They might when they are young and afraid of new things. They also chew on everything at this age.

Did you have a look at what's available in your 100-150k price range yet?

That's not much, mostly 20 year old cars with 200k+ kilometers.

If you go with Toyota or Honda you should not have problems with spare parts, but due to this they cost a bit more than other brands.

Just now, jackdd said:

If you go with Toyota or Honda you should not have problems with spare parts, but due to this they cost a bit more than other brands.

Yes, I've been looking for a few days now and what I see are some roughly 15-20 year old cars with 100k-200k kilometers. Some good deals on older Ford and Chevrolet sedans. Toyota and Honda prices are higher and I guess this is due to the reason you mention, they are simply more reliable and easier to find spare parts. This of course is quite valuable with an older vehicle. Thanks for the advice.

There's nothin g wrong with Chevrolet or Ford as I been driving them for many years in Thailand. Parts are easily available for average price as they assemble the cars in Thailand, they are not  imported or more expensive then your average Toyota parts. The reason why there are cheaper then Japanese cars because Thais just prefer popular brand names like Toyota and Honda rather then American brands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good for you for homing the dogs. For the vehicle, all I can say is that something like our truck might suit (not trying to sell ours). But there are similar trucks for sale around the country and I would say that it is probably better not to buy in Pattaya, pricewise. We bought a Toyota Tiger 3.0 in 2002 when this D4D version came out and it has been excellent - still running well although mileage is quite low. Several similar in the link added and you can look around but you will need to be careful to avoid the lemons, of which there are many around! Good luck:

https://www.kaidee.com/browse?q=toyota tiger d4d

On 10/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, jackdd said:

there is no problem finding spare parts for Fords or Chevy's, have owned both and never had a problem!

• Like 2