Visa expired + letter of Embassy

Hi

my brother in law let his 1 year multi entry marriage visa expire but can stay based on an letter of embassy. The letter of the embassy will be very likely issued another few times looking at the situation in Europe. But he is looking for a more longterm solution. As far as I know, he can not ask for an extension of stay based on an expired visa. Is there a solution for his situation?

thx and best regards

- can you be more specific whether he had a non-o visa or a 1-year extension of stay with multiple re-entry permit.

- What date did the last permission to stay start/expire?

the amnesty period should cover him from from 26 March until the end of this month (October)

Edited by 4evermaat

3 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

can you be more specific whether he had a non-o visa or a 1-year extension of stay with multiple re-entry permit.

No explanation needed. He already clearly stated that it regards a multi-entry visa based on marriage, not an extension made at an immigration office.

38 minutes ago, Opossum said:

As far as I know, he can not ask for an extension of stay based on an expired visa.

That is not correct. 

He could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage if he has 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

He can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit his wife if has not applied for one since his most recent entry to the country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

He already clearly stated that it regards a multi-entry visa based on marriage, not an extension made at an immigration office.

He really did not say that clearly since many people incorrectly call a extension of stay a visa and if they have a re-entry permit they call it a multiple entry visa.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He really did not say that clearly since many people incorrectly call a extension of stay a visa and if they have a re-entry permit they call it a multiple entry visa.

I guess that depends on how a person understands what they read. ???? 

Yes, it's  a "multi-entry visa based on marriage" which has been expired and not an extension of stay. It has been exprired while he was asking for the embassy letter. Things are complicated, the way it happened and I don't want go to the details. So I will tell him to do the extension of stay as proposed. Thank you for your support.

Not so sure about this letter of the embassy. This is what my embassy said to me 4 days ago

"Following the further recent extension of the Visa Amnesty by the Thai Authorities, the Embassy of _____ is awaiting clarification from the Immigration Bureau on the particular requirements for this further extension of permission to remain in Thailand for non-nationals. We will advise further when the Thai Immigration Authorities clarify the position."

24 minutes ago, jimn said:

Yes and you sir are one of the worst with your constant pedantic replies.

Oh, I am sorry! Maybe it´s just me, but when a person post they have a visa, I read it like that. Same when a person post they have extension/or permission to stay, I read it and understand it like that. 

Is your opinion that I should believe that people don´t know if they are talking about a visa or an extension in a foreign country, so that they just sign the first thing that comes to mind. 

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, I am sorry! Maybe it´s just me, but when a person post they have a visa, I read it like that. Same when a person post they have extension/or permission to stay, I read it and understand it like that. 

Is your opinion that I should believe that people don´t know if they are talking about a visa or an extension in a foreign country, so that they just sign the first thing that comes to mind. 

Lol. You have been on here long enough to know never to assume people understand what they are posting. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jimn said:

Lol. You have been on here long enough to know never to assume people understand what they are posting. 

Sorry once again. Not knowing what you talk about while travelling or living in foreign countries, is what I call stupid. Nothing I am ever going to get used to just because I´ve been here long enough.

• Haha 1