live Thai TV reception from router : possible?

fvw53

My Thai wife's very old mother is going to stay with us.

We would like to buy for her a 40" Smart TV which can receive a few Thai TV channels.

In the same room we have an extender of our internet router (which transmits a strong signal)

This room is too far to link with cables to our existing TV setup in the living room and an indoor antenna would have very weak reception (if not at all)

A Thai TV channel "The Nation" transmits live via internet (there may be others)

I have no clue if there are on the markets TV sets able to receive via Wifi a TV signal from a router

Also I do not know if this is technically possible (and then how to do this?)

If some Forum members can provide advise I would be very grateful

Easy with an android box as you can get all the free thai stations on android eg loox tv, and others on play storeor use the smart tv wifi  and see what you can find on youtube. You can also watch on a phone and cast to the tv.  Important to have a reasonable internet whatever you do. Tx6 smart tv box on lazada is ok and cheap. I have one.   1290b.

Edited by uncleP

My Thai wife's TV stopped working some two months ago.

So we went for a new.  She does not like the large screen ones, and wanted a small 32".

In the shop they had a SHARP Aquos TV LED Blacklight TV which sold for 3.500 THB.

But they also had same model in SMART-version, which sold for 5.000 THB.

Took some convincing of the wife to go for that SMART Android one.

Picture quality very good and super-easy to set up.

The only thing I needed to do was to go via the remote to the settings and putting the pass-code to make connection with my mobile phone, which is in 'Portable Wifi Hotspot' mode. 

And she has now access to hundreds of channels on that TV via that mobile-phone Wifi Hotspot connection (I am using same on my computer for Internet access).  I have an unlimited data 4 Mbps dTac subscription (1 Mbps is too slow and 10 Mbps not needed) and never experience any buffering.  Works perfectly...

2 hours ago, uncleP said:

Easy with an android box as you can get all the free thai stations on android eg loox tv, and others on play storeor use the smart tv wifi  and see what you can find on youtube. You can also watch on a phone and cast to the tv.  Important to have a reasonable internet whatever you do. Tx6 smart tv box on lazada is ok and cheap. I have one.   1290b.

Sorry for my question but where does the TV signal enter this TX6 TV box :

does it enter via the short (black) antenna from the air ?

or

....is this antenna a wifi transmitter to the smart TV and then how does this box catch the TV signal?

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

or

....is this antenna a wifi transmitter to the smart TV and then how does this box catch the TV signal?

No tv signal. Wifi connects to your router and the installed programs connect with the internet and the  transmitted content.

of course there will always be good old wwitv

https://wwitv.com/television/204.htm 

the Thailand Live TV selections at this time are:

TV channels from Thailand
Channel Name   Information
. . Koh Samui (-)   Live webcams from Koh Samui Island. In and arround Murphys, Galaxy Cabaret, Sweet Soul Cafe, Bondi Hotel and Lamai Walking street.
. ASTV News1 (Thai)   ASTV (Asia Satellite TV is a free-to-air satellite TV network. The TV channel is based in Bangkok. The channel mainly provides news shows. It is operated by Manager Media Group (Phuchatkan Rai Wan), the major news source in Thailand.
. Boonniyom TV (Thai)   For Mankind Television) is a television station of Dharma Santi Asoke Buddhist charity foundation. The headquarter is based in Bangkok, Thailand. The channel broadcasts dharma programs. In accordance with the guidelines of peace most of that Hosted by Asana Bodhi Rak, the leader of the Ashoka people, followed by the program on non-toxic agriculture Educational program Vetgetarien food About the lifestyle of the Asoke people.
. Channel 3 (Thai)   Thailand Colour Television Channel 3 was Thailands first commercial Entertainment TV channel. It started broadcasting in 1970. Its headquarters is based in Khlong Toei, Bangkok.
. Channel 5 (Thai)   Royal Thai Army Radio and Television or TV 5 is a terrestrial free-to-air-television channel located in Bangkok, Thailand. It broadcasts local dramas and entertainment..
. MVTV (Thai)   MVTV is based in the Klongjaokhunsing District, Wang Thong Lang. It offers many thematic channels that are available online.
. Nation Channel (Thai)   Nation Channel (owned by the Nation Multimedia Group) is a National News TV Station, that broadcasts 24 hours a day. It is located in Bangkok. It covers political, economic, social and cultural news.
. NBT World (Thai)   News from the Government Public Relations Department (english language).
. One 31 HD (Thai)   One 31 is a movie and entertaiment channel. It broadcasts various drama series and family oriented programs. The headquarter of One 31 is based in Bangkok.
. PBS TV (Thai)   PBS TV (Thai Public Broadcasting Service) is a national public TV channel offering a informative and entertaining programming. The channel was launched in 1996.
. Rama channel (Thai)   Rama Channel is founded as result of the mission of Ramathibodi Hospital to distribute knowledge for prevention and enhance good health through 24-hour television media in collaboration with True Vision.
. Spring News (Thai)   Spring News is a news TV channel. The headquarter is based in Bangkok.
. TV Muslim (Thai)   TV Muslim is an Islamic channel.
. Voice TV (Thai)   Voice TV sees rapid changes in new media formats, including the growth of the network. Internet network As well as mobile phones and the emergence of digital TV. Multimedia communication technology enables modern consumers to quickly access information, news, and entertainment anytime, anywhere according to different needs of individuals.

You should consider Netflix, plenty of good Thai movies and many others available in Thai.

You don't need the most expensive package, if you have somebody who also wants Netflix you can share.

I'm on the cheapest option, only 220 baht per month. But that limits it to one phone, or one PC and i can't send my data to the TV to watch it on the bigger screen.

BTW, the first month is free and you can cancel it when you want. 

2 hours ago, uncleP said:

No tv signal. Wifi connects to your router and the installed programs connect with the internet and the  transmitted content.

Our intelligent Samsung is so intelligent that I hate it to type each letter with the remote control. 

It's much better to use the "Smart View" option of a Samsung phone ( no idea what others have) and i have my TV connected to the PC to make it easier.

4 hours ago, fvw53 said:

or

If a broadcaster, or rebroadcaster, wants also to make their content available over the Internet they will provide specialized servers to digitally 'stream' the content to anyone on the internet who has proper software and authorization to view it. A SmartTV or Internet Set Top Box can be used to request and view the digital streamed content -- very similar to how you might watch live YouTube content now on a phone (or SmartTV).

We have several large-screen TVs set up in the house. While two of them are SmartTV or Internet Set Top Box enabled, 'mother' doesn't like the complication (too many input options) and prefers her SatTV Set Top Box for quick access to her favorite soaps and the local news  ...even if she IS a LINE, Facebook, and YouTube video junky on her mobile phone  ...on which she mutes the phone ringer and makes it impossible for anyone to ever reach her. 

Gotta keep in mind here... the OP said he's trying to find a TV solution for his Thai wife's "very old mother," so the level of techie-ness is probably going to be low to nonexistent.

I know as one kind of solution, 3BB for its internet customers makes available an Android app, which can be installed on a smart TV, that allows you to watch many of the free Thai TV channels. I know from past experience at least True has a similar service.

For the Mom, in the case of the 3BB app once set up, you could just leave the TV and app on and open, so the only thing she'd have to do would be use the directional controls on the remote to click up-down, right-left to get to the channel she wants to watch.

Another option, depending on the OP's location, might be to run a coax cable from the Smart TV to a higher or different location on his property that would get a better digital TV signal with an external antenna placed there. Then the MIL could just watch regular TV as she might already be accustomed to.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, tifino said:

of course there will always be good old wwitv

https://wwitv.com/television/204.htm 

the Thailand Live TV selections at this time are:

Seems a number of the Live TV links on that site either aren't working or don't point to the correct sites anymore.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I think any internet option would be hard for an old lady to operate.

It would cost next to nothing to get some coax from existing TV antena/dish run into the room, even a separate antenna/satellite dish wouldn't cost much, and old lady would probably be familiar with it.