Thailand Seeks Travel Bubble Pact With China to Spur Tourism

webfact

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Banks are state-funded and owned. This means the government sets interest rates and approves loans. They pay low-interest rates on deposits so they can lend cheaply to state-owned businesses. As a result, banks have channeled government funds into an unknown number of projects that may not be profitable.

Pretty much sounds like what every Western central bank has been doing since the 2008/09 financial crash as well...just change "state owned" to "privately owned."

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Maybe I didn't Make myself clear.  Will the test provide a 100% accuracy in determining whether the people being tested are Positive or Negative in regard to the Wuhan China virus so those carrying the virus can be isolated.

If the test had a 100% accuracy the actual quarantine shouldn't exist

People are tested before to travel and tested again when they arrive and few of them still

are found having the virus during the quarantine, they call them ''asymptomatics cases''

in fact the tests haven't a 100% accuracy, maybe 80% for the best of them? 

The problem with the virus is even only few persons infected are enough to spread in few days/months the virus in a country

it's why the ''bubble'' idea is totally dumb and can not work

imo it's just again hot air from a minister wanting to show he is trying hard to do something

(Being well paid for that) when in fact he is doing nothing, except talking hot air

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

You might want to look past the end of the nose your glasses sit on and digest all of the news regarding the Chinese economy.  when the story starts out China say's...well then its all suspect as whether there is a 100% truth to it. 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/coronavirus-pushes-millions-of-chinese-tourists-to-spend-national-day-holiday

As one of the many Chinese have stated:

“I usually prefer traveling abroad, because there are too many people traveling domestically, and accommodation and meals become very expensive,'' said Cao. That's a sentiment shared by many Chinese who can afford to fly overseas for holidays but now are barred by flight cancelations and quarantine restrictions.

Yes there are those that can afford to travel but even there own country has restricted them.  So no matter how much Thailand begs them, and unless the CCP change there stance they are set to try and build up there own domestic tourism first and keep money in house.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The WHO has NOT estimated this.

An article published in the WHO newsletter (not the same thing as a n official WHO pronouncement) which reviewed data from various studies found wide variation in IFR across locations and an average IFR of about 0.23% in those specific locations and made no claims as to an overall worldwide figure.

A study recently published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases concludes:

• Published estimates vary, with a ‘true’ fatality rate hard to calculate.
  • Systematically reviewing the literature and meta-analyzing the results shows an IFR of 0.68% (0.53-0.82%).
  • This rate was variable from place to place, with a lower range of 0.17% and a highest estimate of 1.7%.
  • Serology studies with a lower risk of bias appeared to demonstrate a higher IFR than those at a higher risk of bias."
  • https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)32180-9/fulltext

According to this story the WHO expert Mike Ryan warns that 10% of the worlds population maybe infected by Covid 19.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-06/1-in-10-worldwide-may-have-caught-covid-19,-says-who/12733992

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

No doubt China is to blame for this.  But politicians are trying to deflect their mistakes by trying to deflect blame to China.  Ala Trump.  We're in a global pandemic.  Life's going to be changed forever, just like after 9/11.

"Blame"...not sure i agree...it depends on what you mean by it. One can also argue they've shown how to defeat the virus too (especially for large countries).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

"Thailand is in talks with China to establish a quarantine-free travel corridor by January to rescue its ailing tourism industry"  

This maybe a risky move!  I have been following a Vlogger called serpentza on Youtube for a few years who lived in China for 13 years and has a lot of contacts there and he is saying the Wuhan China virus is still a huge problem in China.  The CCP are not telling the truth about it!

Serpentza indeed was there for 13 years, however he makes his money bashing China. Don't take everything he says seriously.

• Like 1

Of course this makes perfect sense the country that promised not to dam the mekong. But a few baht fixed that. The country that gave us the covid virus welcome back. The girls that mostly want ferang not Asians. The list is endless.

51 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Blame"...not sure i agree...it depends on what you mean by it. One can also argue they've shown how to defeat the virus too (especially for large countries).

I'm not a China basher, but they are to blame.  Selling banned and endangered live animals in wet markets in violation of the laws there.  No live animals in wet markets, no CV19.  Or SARS.  I was in China during that time.  No fun!!

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Good god thailand is like an infatuated teenager when it comes to China. 

They are literally at the core of every economic thought they have. 

I keep imaging their lips firmly sealed around the rectum extracting golden butt nuggets ????

• Haha 2

China suppresses facts and media.  

Unfortunately, the US has gone the far opposite direction.  They just throw SO much BS out there, so much noise, that none of it rings true.  So hard to sift through it all, as usually they don't share full context any more (if watching "news" stations.  Not even sure you should call them tthat any more).

Although FB, Twitter, etc seem to be trying out this suppression thing...

7 minutes ago, jobas69 said:

They must appease their Chinese masters 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

In addition, Thai Chinese have a strong presence in Thailand's political scene with most of Thailand's former Prime Ministers and the majority of parliament having at least some Chinese ancestry.[16][17][13]:58[18] Thais of Chinese descent are also well represented among Thailand's military and royalist elite.

34 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm not a China basher, but they are to blame.  Selling banned and endangered live animals in wet markets in violation of the laws there.  No live animals in wet markets, no CV19.  Or SARS.  I was in China during that time.  No fun!!

My understanding is the selling of wild animals in the food trade was banned after the SARS-CoV-1 virus outbreak, however, I thought I read somewhere that at some point the prohibition was repealed. Regardless, I agree that wild animals, especially rare and endangered ones, should not be consumed as food. However, then you quickly bump up against long standing cultural practices and societal norms...should the eating of hunted animals, like bison, deer, and pheasants and ducks be banned in the West? What about all the wild animal consumption that presumably occurs in Africa and most other countries of the world?

What about MERS...is Saudia Arabia responsible for it because aspects of their desert culture revolve around camels, which carry and transmit the virus (which at 30% mortality is orders of magnitude more deadly than Covid-19)? "Blame" is a slippery slope...not least because viruses are omnipresent in all living things and can, at any time and place under the right conditions, become zoonotic and infect humans, with sometimes deadly results. After an initially fumbling and halting reaction to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, for which the Chinese have been rightly criticized, there subsequent actions (like quickly sequencing and publicly posting the virus's DNA, so researchers worldwide could study it) and the public health steps taken to tamp-down and snuff out the virus have been exemplary. I think their present countrywide virus count speaks for itself.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Duplicate.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
Duplicate

20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

In addition, Thai Chinese have a strong presence in Thailand's political scene with most of Thailand's former Prime Ministers and the majority of parliament having at least some Chinese ancestry.[16][17][13]:58[18] Thais of Chinese descent are also well represented among Thailand's military and royalist elite.

This is news to you...anyone with even a passing knowledge of Thai history and culture knows this.

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

My understanding is the selling of wild animals in the food trade was banned after the SARS-CoV-1 virus outbreak, however, I thought I read somewhere that at some point the prohibition was repealed. Regardless, I agree that wild animals, especially rare and endangered ones, should not be consumed as food. However, then you quickly bump up against long standing cultural practices and societal norms...should the eating of hunted animals, like bison, deer, and pheasants and ducks be banned in the West? What about all the wild animal consumption that presumably occurs in Africa and most other countries of the world?

What about MERS...is Saudia Arabia responsible for it because aspects of their desert culture revolve around camels, which carry and transmit the virus (which at 30% mortality is orders of magnitude more deadly than Covid-19)? "Blame" is a slippery slope...not least because viruses are omnipresent in all living things and can, at any time and place under the right conditions, become zoonotic and infect humans, with sometimes deadly results. After an initially fumbling and halting reaction to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, for which the Chinese have been rightly criticized, there subsequent actions (like quickly sequencing and publicly posting the virus's DNA, so researchers worldwide could study the virus) and the public health steps taken to tamp-down and snuff out the virus have been exemplary. I think their present countrywide virus count speaks for itself.

I do believe that is true.  Selling live wild animals was banned.  This is the major source of the coronavirus.  But!  Corruption is rampant, like here, and live wild animals are still sold.  Chinese think if it's still alive, it's fresh.  Even in seafood restaurants, you'll be shown live seafood before you eat it.  At least at the nicer restaurants.

There's a lot of pressure on China to clean this up.  Seems a majority of Chinese even agree with it.  Sadly, the older, more traditional, and less educated ones don't. 

Again, no live civet cats, bats, etc...no SARS or CV19.  But yes, it's complicated.  Sadly!

A very interesting read:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7362142/

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/15/21219222/coronavirus-china-ban-wet-markets-reopening

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This is news to you...anyone with even a passing knowledge of Thai history and culture knows this.

I did that in response to some members that don't seem to understand Thailand's extremely close relationship with China.  I've been here almost 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I did that in response to some members that don't seem to understand Thailand's extremely close relationship with China.  I've been here almost 20 years.

My now ex-in laws were Thai-Chinese, or Sino-Thais, true originals, all men over 6' tall, and the women 5'7" and taller.  Learned quite a bit from Grandpa about the way they ended up here in the Northern Area of Udon Thani.  It is also why they have no money problems.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spock said:

I am surprised Australia does not get a mention. New Zealand has just opened a one way travel bubble with Australia, and the government also seems to be loosening reasons for travel exemption - they are apparently entertaining applications from people who will leave the country longer than three months. These two countries would provide a very safe tourist source for Thailand.

Ozzie borders shut till end of 2021. Thailand will be looking for reciprocal agreements 

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Let's see how eager the Chinese really are. They seem to be quite pleased with keeping their people safely under lock and key while promoting domestic tourism, which has been booming. Coming to Thailand, they might even get to see street protests, heaven forbid!

I as well as other posters before think this is just a smoke screen for Chinese Commie proxy buyers getting in here to suck up things. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I hear you...many don't know that China and Thailand have had a long standing and mutually beneficial economic and cultural relationship, and times of large scale Chinese immigration to Thailand, for hundreds of years. They think it all started the past decade, with the influx of tourists from the country.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My now ex-in laws were Thai-Chinese, or Sino-Thais, true originals, all men over 6' tall, and the women 5'7" and taller.  Learned quite a bit from Grandpa about the way they ended up here in the Northern Area of Udon Thani.  It is also why they have no money problems.

My wife is thai chinese..she is small and skinny..my ex former husband is thai chinese..he is wery tall,more then 6"