Islamic State tells supporters to target westerners, oil pipelines in Saudi Arabia

webfact

Islamic State tells supporters to target westerners, oil pipelines in Saudi Arabia

static.reuters.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

CAIRO (Reuters) - An Islamic State spokesman called on the militant group's supporters to target westerners, oil pipelines and economic infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.

"Targets are plenty ... Start by hitting and destroying oil pipelines,‮‮ ‬‬factories and facilities which are the source (of income) of the tyrant government," the spokesman, Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, said in a recorded speech on the militant group's official telegram channel.‮‮ ‬‬

He said the kingdom had supported normalisation with Israel by opening its airspace for Israeli flights to neighbouring Gulf states.

The threats surfaced as Bahrain has followed the United Arab Emirates in agreeing last month to normalise ties with Israel.

Saudi Arabia, which has Islam's holiest sites and is the world's largest oil exporter, has stressed the need to step up efforts to reach a lasting and sustainable peace agreement among the Palestinians and the Israelis.

(Reporting by Omar Fahmy and Ghaida Ghantous; Editing by Alexandra Hudson and Jane Merriman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-19

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scammed said:

targeting pipe lines now is just plain dumb,

the world has an oversupply of oil already

Saudi dictatorship has long been a target of IS, So far don't believe IS has had any success in managing to disrupt cash flow for the dictatorship,. On the other side of the coin, Saudi government has disrupted IS operations.

28 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

My understanding is that most of islamic states funding comes FROM Saudi Arabia.

How dumb a move is this?

Used to be SA, but these days Qatar is supplying funds in stead of SA.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scammed said:

targeting pipe lines now is just plain dumb,

the world has an oversupply of oil already

However there are countries that are fully dependent on the oil export, for example the largest country on the planet. Target its oil pipelines and meddling with american elections will stop within the week.

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

My understanding is that most of islamic states funding comes FROM Saudi Arabia.

How dumb a move is this?

Your understanding is completely  wrong.

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/uploads/Documents/infographics/Islamic-State-of-Iraq-and-al-Sham-ISIS-Funding.pdf

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow, to be so rich from being so stupid go figure I would love to be that stupid... YEP What a despicable man doing a job for the love of his country, taking no salary for doing it..... people who are haters always have so much venom. Trump is a great president and I pray for 4 more years. But it's a free world so if people want to support a man with VERY strong ties to The KKK then crack on.

Oh dear, struck a nerve. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

They can start another one, can't they...?

Unfortunately IS are not wiped out, still causing grief. IS are trying to gain territory in places such as Afghanistan and Africa. In Afghanistan trying against the odds to re-establish the Khorasan caliphate, Taliban seem to be doing a good job with blocking them, but some of their fighters have gone over to IS; better pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Unfortunately IS are not wiped out, still causing grief. IS are trying to gain territory in places such as Afghanistan and Africa. In Afghanistan trying against the odds to re-establish the Khorasan caliphate, Taliban seem to be doing a good job with blocking them, but some of their fighters have gone over to IS; better pay.

Toyota should stop selling them trucks

• Like 1

While I have no time for terrorism, I cannot understand ISIS - I mean, it they really want to be martyrs for a cause (as opposed to killing their own brother Muslims in Saudi Arabia), why don't they do something for the Uighurs? Or is it only the easy targets that provide nice audio-visuals that they want?

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Have a guess who was fighting mostly with IS when they tried to establish their own country?

Why would I need to guess that? Isn´t the problem still existing. Maybe they didn´t fought enough.

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

While I have no time for terrorism, I cannot understand ISIS - I mean, it they really want to be martyrs for a cause (as opposed to killing their own brother Muslims in Saudi Arabia), why don't they do something for the Uighurs? Or is it only the easy targets that provide nice audio-visuals that they want?

Reported thousands of Uighurs went to join IS in Syria, some claim they went to get war fighting / terror experience to take on PRC; It was reported Uighurs were involved with some heavy fighting in Syria, possible they experienced a high casualty rate. PRC is of course a dictatorship with sophisticated surveillance / oppression apparatus. So far nothing being reported of any meaningful IS operations in PRC.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1