"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #3 Charity workers and volunteers

webfact

On 10/20/2020 at 6:42 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Do you seriously think a sex predator is someone not having enough money?

As for the ''perv'' near the school, if you have any real reason to suspect him

you shouldn't hesitate to report him to the police, If it's just the sunglasses 

well maybe his eyes are sensitive to lights, or he thinks sunglasses give him more authority in the allure

why not to ask to him the real reason?

Seems there are a few on TVF that think they are better than other people for some reason :whistling:

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:38 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I agree...and it could also be that the Thai authorities have a lot on their plate, what with the pandemic and political unrest, and the problems of foreign volunteers and missionaries entering Thailand are not high on their priority list.

the problems of foreign volunteers and missionaries entering Thailand are not high on their priority list.

Exactly right. :clap2:

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:05 AM, Truth Will Set You Free said:

As much hatred over the years Thailand has been showing expats, what makes you think they would change during a time like this. I really hope the blindness of looking the other way is now coming to haunt you now.  

what their saying “No Money, No Honey”.

Well said. They made it more difficult every year to extend my visa, so they really didn't care about whether I stayed or left.

I don't know why some posters think they are more deserving of returning than other groups. Far as I'm concerned they don't really want any of us, but for obvious reasons couldn't just come out and ban us outright. It's a version of "death by a thousand cuts".

IMO if every expat out of the country just gave up and never returned they wouldn't give us a second thought. The people we support are not hisos.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, sanuk711 said:

So its all down to Thailand losing face.......

why do you not do an article on what all the neighboring countries are doing so we can compare--Like Cambodia --you have to get the visa you have to get the same certificates also paying them $us2,000 to enter for the one test they do on you, you don't have to do the 14 days --but if any one person on that plane has a positive result then its a MONTH shut down for everyone 2 weeks in the hotel $us60 a day--2 weeks self isolate .

Also

All foreign travelers arriving in Cambodia will need to present proof of health insurance valued at a minimum of $50,000 and make a deposit of $us3,000 with a designated commercial bank, which will cover payments for any Covid-19-related services while they are in the country, according to a Health Ministry statement dated Thursday.

• Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes 
  • Pay a deposit of $us2,000 upon arrival at airports for mandatory COVID-19 testing and potential treatment services   
  •    
  •    Watched BBC program last night "Divided Britain" where you have city's with rules -Closure of all bars etc----20 min away from City's with different rules. What a mess--with nearly 45,000 dead--I bet they wish that it all came down to having a government with a problem of loosing face. One thing that came across loudly in that debate figures was that the majority wanted it to be tougher. Like New Zealand --with some of the strictest rules--who have just reelected the sitting government on their policy.

This is a world wide Pandemic so there will be a minority of people who miss out--isn't it the same in any like wise situation.

You still have to do the 14 days, just that after 2 days you do it at a location of your choice. 

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. They made it more difficult every year to extend my visa, so they really didn't care about whether I stayed or left.

I don't know why some posters think they are more deserving of returning than other groups. Far as I'm concerned they don't really want any of us, but for obvious reasons couldn't just come out and ban us outright. It's a version of "death by a thousand cuts".

IMO if every expat out of the country just gave up and never returned they wouldn't give us a second thought. The people we support are not hisos.

It's corruption - you can easily get your extension if you pay off an agent. Same story for pretty much every neighboring country where an agent is almost compulsory (such as in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam).

At this time the whole world is a "s***show" so I don't think one could come up with any country which genuinely cares about stranded foreigners during this crisis. Thailand at least opened the doors to expats married to Thai nationals back in July, a move that Vietnam only allowed about 3 weeks ago. 

• Like 1