Back to Thailand with a valid extension

I am in Thailand. My retirement extension renewal is earliest 1st November 2020.  After renewal I want to travel to the UK this year  and see my sick Father before he dies.  The UK  lockdown rules are changing on a daily basis but if I decide to take that risk what is the current return process for a valid retirement extension holder?  I assume I will need to budget for test and quarantine which I am OK with although i'd like to choose where. 

Has any retirement extension holder done this recently? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Although your have a visa u will still have to apply, with specified documentation to the Thai Embassy in UK .. they will require u to take 2 tests before u leave ..1 within 48 hrs of departure ..

Family, officially married, work visa acceptable to return but retirement visa?? ..need to check.

Quarantine is seriously strict ..you'll be told where u can stay for 14 days under police supervision at your own expense (,,budget 40k bt) ..

Other may add some additional points ..or corrections ..

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you initially enter with a non-O or non-OA visa?

If your extension is based on a non-O visa you will currently not be allowed to enter.

Extension from OA can return ?????

26 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If your extension is based on a non-O visa you will currently not be allowed to enter.

That is for Retirement extension grandfathered on Non-O.

However, if the Extension of the Non-O is based on the holder being either married to a Thai or supporting his Thai-born children, I understand that they can apply for the CoE and get on the 'repatriation' wait list.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your father.

How quickly do you need to get back to Thailand? Obviously, no one relishes the thought of winter in the UK but there are repeated indications that the Thai government is manoeuvring to properly re-open by the start of next year so that they can catch the all-important Chinese New Year peak season in February.

The Thai government are now clearly aware that the expensive quarantine requirement is a barrier, so, we might see the option to replace that requirement by, instead, showing certification of vaccination. If the Cambridge vaccine works, it will be distributed initially to frontline NHS workers and, then, to citizens in order of risk and age. The roll-out may be underway by the time you arrive but I have no idea how long it might take for you to become eligible. Still, worth being aware that the current procedures and expenses relating to getting back into Thailand may radically change within the next few months.

• Thanks 1

If you decide to go back, just do not renew your current extension. Apply for a Non-OA from home and return on that with all that is necessary for returning and entering. You can as it is today, not re-enter on a Non-O based on retirement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That is for Retirement extension grandfathered on Non-O.

However, if the Extension of the Non-O is based on the holder being either married to a Thai or supporting his Thai-born children, I understand that they can apply for the CoE and get on the 'repatriation' wait list.

That's correct. 

I'm guessing the OP in not married or parent of Thai as he did not mention it.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's correct. 

I'm guessing the OP in not married or parent of Thai as he did not mention it.

Agreed and he also hasn't mentioned if he owns a condo who are also now permitted to apply for a CoE.

Just hoping to pre-empt the inevitable questions that pop up as a thread matures from those unfamiliar with the different categories of Non-O and their extensions.

Here's a hypothetical for you. If a foreigner married to a Thai or with Thai-born siblings has a valid Non-O Extension that has been issued against Retirement and a valid re-entry permit for that Extension, can that foreigner apply at the RTE in London for a CoE based on being married/having children?

Many retirees switched from Marriage Extensions to Retirement Extension simply to avoid the ball-ache of the former's annual renewal. The RTE London's website doesn't specifically state if they qualify for a CoE or otherwise.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Did you initially enter with a non-O or non-OA visa?

I am still unsure if even that category is ok , neither retirement, or O-A Permission Extensions are mentioned here.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Poet said:

Sorry to hear about your father.

How quickly do you need to get back to Thailand? Obviously, no one relishes the thought of winter in the UK but there are repeated indications that the Thai government is manoeuvring to properly re-open by the start of next year so that they can catch the all-important Chinese New Year peak season in February.

The Thai government are now clearly aware that the expensive quarantine requirement is a barrier, so, we might see the option to replace that requirement by, instead, showing certification of vaccination. If the Cambridge vaccine works, it will be distributed initially to frontline NHS workers and, then, to citizens in order of risk and age. The roll-out may be underway by the time you arrive but I have no idea how long it might take for you to become eligible. Still, worth being aware that the current procedures and expenses relating to getting back into Thailand may radically change within the next few months.

I think this is a lot of wishful thinking and guess work, at a breakfast buffet, the Thai decision makers change their minds 10 times, before choosing Chinese food as it will please China.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If you decide to go back, just do not renew your current extension. Apply for a Non-OA from home and return on that with all that is necessary for returning and entering. You can as it is today, not re-enter on a Non-O based on retirement.

but doesn't O-A require insurance?

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, holders of Retirement visas and Extensions thereof are not currently on the MFA's list of foreigners eligible for entry to Thailand.

If OP means an O-A Visa which is officially a Retirement Visa,then he can return if applying for a CoE. If he's on an 1 year extension based on retirement from an initial O Visa, then he won't be allowed to apply for a CoE. Yet,that is.

41 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I think this is a lot of wishful thinking and guess work, at a breakfast buffet, the Thai decision makers change their minds 10 times, before choosing Chinese food as it will please China.

If you read newspapers or go online, you'll understand why countries in Europe and also the US won't be allowed in. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Misab said:

but doesn't O-A require insurance?

If his current retirement extension which he was planning to renew next month is based on an original OA visa he would need an approved 400k/40k insurance policy in any case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Here's a hypothetical for you. If a foreigner married to a Thai or with Thai-born siblings has a valid Non-O Extension that has been issued against Retirement and a valid re-entry permit for that Extension, can that foreigner apply at the RTE in London for a CoE based on being married/having children?

Yes, if somebody is on a Non-O "Retirement" extension but is married to a Thai and/or has Thai children then they can return to Thailand on the basis of visiting their family, the basis of their Visa or extension doesn't matter. 

Obviously they have to meet the same requirements as all other Non-Thais (Covid Tests, Fit-2-Fly certificate, $100.000 Covid Insurance, ASQ etc...) to get their COE

OP... If you're on a Non-O now and not married/have Thai children then your options to get back quickly would be:-

1. Non-OA - Assuming you can meet the requirements IIRC for the UK this is medical, police clearance, proof of 800,000 THB (or equivalent) in the bank + health insurance that has a minimum of 400K inpatients & 40K outpatients cover
  2. Thai Elite Visa - Min 500K for 5 years

If you are planning on changing Visa then be sure to not get a re-entry permit, it might even be worth not extending at all if the timing of your trip back fits. 

If you're happy to stay in the UK for a while (Nobody knows how long, somebody mentioned Feb in time for the Chinese New Year but I think it's much more likely that they'll have a travel bubble with China, Singapore & Hong Kong to cover that) then obviously extend your Non-O & get your re-entry permit. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:
5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, if somebody is on a Non-O "Retirement" extension but is married to a Thai and/or has Thai children then they can return to Thailand on the basis of visiting their family, the basis of their Visa or extension doesn't matter. 

Obviously they have to meet the same requirements as all other Non-Thais (Covid Tests, Fit-2-Fly certificate, $100.000 Covid Insurance, ASQ etc...) to get their COE

Thanks Mike. Avoiding the palaver of the Marriage Extension renewal has always been a bonus and would have been a major pain in the butt if I needed to get one of those to qualify for returning here. I heard that even agents try and steer applicants away from them if a foreigner can qualify for a Retirement Extension instead.

I will most likely be out of Thailand, working in a third country for the next 3 - 5 months. If the borders remain closed, my plan would be to go back to the UK and get in the CoE queue... or whatever procedure is in effect then.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, Peterw42 said:

Extension from OA can return ?????

Yes, with a Non Imm O-A (or O-X) Visa or a valid Re-Entry protected permission to stay based on such a Visa you are eligible for the COE.

Same goes - irrespective of type Visa - when married to a Thai national or having a thai dependent child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the constructive and useful responses. It looks like I can't currently come back if I go but here are the extra questions answered.

Original Visa type was 1 Year Non-OA applied for on basis of retirement.

I've extended 6 times.

I rent property on one year contracts.

Not married to Thai wife or any Thai dependents.

I hold 800K Baht year round to qualify.

I can stay in the UK for a long time if forced to and pay nearly all my bills electronically. Have a good long term relationship with my property owner, she'll be happy to get paid in the current market,  but there will be practical issues like car tax renewal etc. 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, you can renew your retire extension, 1 year and a re-entry permit etc At the moment you cannot return based on a retire extension,  but I think its maybe safe to presume sometime in the next 12 months you may well be able to return using the extension/re-entry. 

I don't think this is a valid assumption. There is almost no immunity to Covid, we will almost certainly see wave 2 in January or February time and the moment the borders open and the morgues overflow, the airports will shut again. 

7 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:
On 10/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, you can renew your retire extension, 1 year and a re-entry permit etc At the moment you cannot return based on a retire extension,  but I think its maybe safe to presume sometime in the next 12 months you may well be able to return using the extension/re-entry. 

I don't think this is a valid assumption. There is almost no immunity to Covid, we will almost certainly see wave 2 in January or February time and the moment the borders open and the morgues overflow, the airports will shut again. 

The total uncertainty of the pandemic situation should not preclude the OP from obtaining a re-entry permit before departing Thailand to protect his current immigration status. There's absolutely no need to burn any of the few legitimate bridges that long-stay foreigners still have, especially a 1000 baht one.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:27 AM, Rmac442 said:

Although your have a visa u will still have to apply, with specified documentation to the Thai Embassy in UK .. they will require u to take 2 tests before u leave ..1 within 48 hrs of departure ..

Family, officially married, work visa acceptable to return but retirement visa?? ..need to check.

Quarantine is seriously strict ..you'll be told where u can stay for 14 days under police supervision at your own expense (,,budget 40k bt) ..

Other may add some additional points ..or corrections ..

Lol you got that wrong. To enter Thailand not leave the UK, you require a negetative Covid 19 test via the RT PCR method, with the lab test RESULT, 72 hours before your flight. You also require a Fit to Fly certificate from a doctor within the same timeframe. Requirements are on this link below. If you are not married or have a Thai child you may have to get a new OA visa to get your COE.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

This link will help with ASQ hotels

https://asq.wanderthai.com/