Back to Thailand with a valid extension

Unless it has changed again recently, if you enter the UK after a transit (i.e. get off one plane and get on another) through a country not on the UK's "safe list", you will likely have 14 days self-isolating upon entering the UK.  If you can, try EVA for a non stop flight, or Singapore or Finn Air (both are on the safe list so a stopover is not a problem).  Most of the middle east countries are not on the list.  As far as the UK is concerned, it's where the plane you arrived on left for the UK, not where you original departure was from (if you have a stopover flight).  So if you have a connecting flight from a non listed country, the fact you started from Thailand (now a safe country) it counts for nothing if you transit through a non listed country.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, turgid said:

Thanks for the constructive and useful responses. It looks like I can't currently come back if I go but here are the extra questions answered.

Original Visa type was 1 Year Non-OA applied for on basis of retirement.

I've extended 6 times.

I rent property on one year contracts.

Not married to Thai wife or any Thai dependents.

I hold 800K Baht year round to qualify.

I can stay in the UK for a long time if forced to and pay nearly all my bills electronically. Have a good long term relationship with my property owner, she'll be happy to get paid in the current market,  but there will be practical issues like car tax renewal etc. 

So presumably as an original OA visa holder you have subscribed to a TGIA-approved health insurance policy? If so, you might wish to check the terms and conditions of your policy to see whether these include a minimum residency requirement since an extended stay in the UK might have ramifications for the policy's validity. My Pacific Cross policy, for example, stipulates that I must reside in Thailand for at least 6 months in a 12-month period.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, turgid said:

Thanks for the constructive and useful responses. It looks like I can't currently come back if I go but here are the extra questions answered.

Original Visa type was 1 Year Non-OA applied for on basis of retirement.

I've extended 6 times.

I rent property on one year contracts.

Not married to Thai wife or any Thai dependents.

I hold 800K Baht year round to qualify.

I can stay in the UK for a long time if forced to and pay nearly all my bills electronically. Have a good long term relationship with my property owner, she'll be happy to get paid in the current market,  but there will be practical issues like car tax renewal etc. 

Sorry if I’m missing the obvious here but you say “ It looks like I can’t currently come back if I go “ ??

Is the OA extension on retirement the issue or something else ??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is the OA extension on retirement the issue or something else ??

Seems to be varying opinions on this... if one reads what is posted on the Thai Embassy London website here, I see that extensions and re-entry permits are not mentioned to qualify for a COE. The only mention of retirement is '(non-O retirement visa is not permitted)'. Many seem to hinge on the line While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreign nationals who are holder of Non-Immigrant O-A and O-X can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand. Personally I do not see those with Extensions based on an O-A Entry as currently holding O-A Visas, they are likely expired.

There have also been comments that those with a Thai wife can use a Re-Entry Permit.... rather than obtaining a Non-Imm-O. I have not seen many reports to vary my opinion and best advice seems to be ask the Embassy directly. I do hope this is clarified soon.

Edited by jacko45k

47 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Seems to be varying opinions on this... if one reads what is posted on the Thai Embassy London website here, I see that extensions and re-entry permits are not mentioned to qualify for a COE. The only mention of retirement is '(non-O retirement visa is not permitted)'. Many seem to hinge on the line While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreign nationals who are holder of Non-Immigrant O-A and O-X can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand. Personally I do not see those with Extensions based on an O-A Entry as currently holding O-A Visas, they are likely expired.

There have also been comments that those with a Thai wife can use a Re-Entry Permit.... rather than obtaining a Non-Imm-O. I have not seen many reports to vary my opinion and best advice seems to be ask the Embassy directly. I do hope this is clarified soon.

Thanks Jack, interesting, sometimes the wording in these Embassy websites can be open to interpretation.

There was another thread, can’t find it now, from a U.K. citizen stranded in the U.K. with a similar situation, extension of stay from an OA visa and he was also trying to figure out if extensions were accepted or only valid visas. ( don’t remember if his was based on retirement or marriage ).

Any conclusion on your search @Kadilo  ?

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Jack, interesting, sometimes the wording in these Embassy websites can be open to interpretation.

There was another thread, can’t find it now, from a U.K. citizen stranded in the U.K. with a similar situation, extension of stay from an OA visa and he was also trying to figure out if extensions were accepted or only valid visas. ( don’t remember if his was based on retirement or marriage ).

Any conclusion on your search @Kadilo  ?

I’ve just updated my thread with my experience. I’m not sure if it’s been rejected or not as I have head no official notification but my application does not now seem to be on their system  so I am guessing it’s probably been rejected  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 5:54 PM, OJAS said:

So presumably as an original OA visa holder you have subscribed to a TGIA-approved health insurance policy? If so, you might wish to check the terms and conditions of your policy to see whether these include a minimum residency requirement since an extended stay in the UK might have ramifications for the policy's validity. My Pacific Cross policy, for example, stipulates that I must reside in Thailand for at least 6 months in a 12-month period.

Last years Retirement extension was just after the health insurance policy change. I didn't  know I needed Insurance last year, they didn't ask for it and they  extended my  Visa  without it.  I think the 6 month thing is the smallest part of the problem. Maybe it will show up on the immigration computer but i doubt it.   It would invalidate a claim but I don't intend to claim.   I'm currently out for a quote from LMG to enable me to do this years extension but have noticed that LMG will not offer Covid cover to over 60 years old. Which means i can get an Insurance  policy to extend my visa but can not travel back into the Thailand  with it.           Whether I can "top up" later with a third party Covid only policy seems to be a subject for debate also.  I think I gave up after page 17 of the thread on that subject.  I see both of these insurance  policies as a travel tax.  I don't feel inclined to pay 60K for Covid cover now if I may never  be able to use  that insurance document to come back but if I have to take a whole new policy later the six month problem goes away anyway. Catch 22 squared right now.

Good morning,

my first post in this forum, though following and reading topics for a while.

I´d like to jump in here, as i am in (was) in a similar situation as turgid.

This year i received my Non Imm. -O- Visa based on retirement from CW Immigration, while in Thailand.

Initially the 90 days. Then i got the 1 one year extension of stay based on retirement. I bought a Multiple Re-Entry permit and had to leave Thailand by end of July. Unfortunatelly that was not an option, i HAD to leave due to personal reasons in my home country Germany. So now i am stuck outside Thailand, separated from my Thai girlfriend (together since 7 years).

When the COE procedures started to pop up, i was happy when i read that long stay permission of stay holders are allowed to back in Thailand, i applied for a COE. However, beeing told from the Consulate that with my Non O extension of stay, i am not eligible to apply for a COE, i would need that Non O A status.

Because there seems to be a lot of knowledge in this board regarding that matter... what do you guys think would be the best thing to do right now? I know there is the option of applying for a Non O A Visa. But dont you think that we might see soon the addition of the Non O - retirement group to join the eligible for COE group?

I just see some benefits of my Non O status for future extensions... Though if that group will be rouled out for COE, i have to change Visa to Non O A anyway...

I do have already a booked and confirmed flight with Etihad mid of November, as i am usually booking my flights well in advance, and this flight i booked pre Covid19.

At this time i am really not sure what to do, though started already collecting paperwork for that O-A Visa..

Thanks for any input!

John

Edited by Piscis
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Piscis said:

At this time i am really not sure what to do, though started already collecting paperwork for that O-A Visa..

> I PM-ed you a Guideline document on how to meet the mandatory IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thanks Peter. Great advice!

Do you think there will be a change on Thai policy on letting in us Non -O- extension of stay holders?

I am preparing all documents to apply for the Non OA Visa based on Retirement. But still have a little bit of hope to use my existing Re Entry permit based on my Non O.

Thanks again for your help!

John

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Piscis said:

Do you think there will be a change on Thai policy on letting in us Non -O- extension of stay holders?

I am preparing all documents to apply for the Non OA Visa based on Retirement. But still have a little bit of hope to use my existing Re Entry permit based on my Non O.

There have been some rumors that the Thai Embassies/Immigration will allow re-entry on a still valid Non Imm O Visa for retirees.  You can already enter on such Visa when married to a Thai national or having Thai dependant children.

But I would not wait for that (also considering that a valid permission to stay protected by a Re-Entry Permit is not mentioned in the CoE requirements and technically it is not the same as a 'valid Visa' and thus could be rejected by Embassy staff following the requirements literally).

Applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa is currently the best option for retirees wanting to return to Thailand. 

Just an idea, but not sure whether it would apply for uk, In Australia you can apply for a Tourist visa, only one type available, duration 90 days with a max stay of 60 days, you cannot change this tr to any other type during your stay, however if you are on an O with a re entry permit then once in the country just revert back to it?, The TR is much simpler to obtain as it requires no Insurance, Police Check, Medical etc, however you still need a COE, like I said not sure if it would work.

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/tourist-visa-2/

I`m pretty sure I meet all the requirements to leave and return should I so wish. I am the holder of a Non O-A visa based on retirement and I hold a valid insurance with one of the recognised companies which also meets the Covid 19 requirements. The only query I have is regarding the finances. I have always deposited in excess of 65,000 thb per month, I`m not holding 800k in my Thai account. Indeed the London Embassy says nothing about meeting any financial requirement if you are already a holder of a qualifying visa, is this correct, will my 65k + a month mean I can return?

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreign nationals who are holder of Non-Immigrant O-A and O-X can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  If your spouse wishes to go to Thailand with you, both of you must apply for O-A/O-X visa (non-O retirement visa is not permitted).

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy
  2. Copy of your O-A/O-X visa
  3. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
  4. Declaration form
  5. A copy of flight confirmation
  6. A copy of ASQ booking confirmation

7 hours ago, Jim P said:

I`m pretty sure I meet all the requirements to leave and return should I so wish. I am the holder of a Non O-A visa based on retirement and I hold a valid insurance with one of the recognised companies which also meets the Covid 19 requirements. The only query I have is regarding the finances. I have always deposited in excess of 65,000 thb per month, I`m not holding 800k in my Thai account. Indeed the London Embassy says nothing about meeting any financial requirement if you are already a holder of a qualifying visa, is this correct, will my 65k + a month mean I can return?

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreign nationals who are holder of Non-Immigrant O-A and O-X can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  If your spouse wishes to go to Thailand with you, both of you must apply for O-A/O-X visa (non-O retirement visa is not permitted).

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy
  2. Copy of your O-A/O-X visa
  3. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
  4. Declaration form
  5. A copy of flight confirmation
  6. A copy of ASQ booking confirmation

When you leave Thailand and the permission to stay of the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa is still valid (it has to be protected by a Re-Entry Permit), you can re-enter Thailand on that still valid permission to stay, with no need to prove any financials nor the Non Imm O-A compliant insurance (because you did prove you met the criteria when the 1-year extension of stay was provided).

HOWEVER, in order to be eligible to enter Thailand now you need a CoE.  And it is not fully clear whether that valid permission to stay would be accepted for the CoE, as it only mentions a 'valid Visa' and - technically speaking - a valid permission to stay is not a Visa.  So it would be recommended to contact the Embassy to ensure that your valid permission to stay would be accepted.  If not, you would need to apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, and you would need to meet all the criteria for such application like you did when you applied for your original Non Imm O-A Visa.  Also be aware that on entry in Thailand with that NEW Non Imm O-A Visa you will be stamped in by border-immigration not for a 1 year permission to stay, but capped to the expiry date of the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy you used on application, so it would be wise in that case to contact your insurer and have your current policy rescheduled so that it aligns with the new Visa you will be applying for.

• Like 1