Pattaya: Protests against government yet another nail in the coffin of tourism, says operator

webfact

I think that if the protests at weekends in Bangkok become a fixture then people will come here in greater numbers to stay well away from them.

The protests in Pattaya have been relatively small by comparison and have not been disrupting transport and causing shopping malls to close like they have in the capital.

• Like 2

When they refer to "tourism" now - they are referring to Domestic Tourists (Thais), not foreign tourists who they already know are not going to be back any time soon.

Which is why there has been a drive on in recent weeks to increase Domestic tourism in an attempt to generate more business in that sector. It won't make up for the loss of the International tourism market, but could offset that loss to a degree and provide some additional employment for the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants, etc).

37 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When they refer to "tourism" now - they are referring to Domestic Tourists (Thais), not foreign tourists who they already know are not going to be back any time soon.

Which is why there has been a drive on in recent weeks to increase Domestic tourism in an attempt to generate more business in that sector. It won't make up for the loss of the International tourism market, but could offset that loss to a degree and provide some additional employment for the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants, etc).

I doubt Thai tourists would be going to this woman's bar or cancel their travel plans because of prorests. 

• Like 2

If the government was smart they would come out with the truth. “After decades of environmental damage caused by millions of tourists we are killing tourism off in order to allow the environment to recover back to it natural beauty. “ That’s the only excuse that I can think of for what they have done. It’s also the only upside I can think of as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

If the government was smart they would come out with the truth. “After decades of environmental damage caused by millions of tourists we are killing tourism off in order to allow the environment to recover back to it natural beauty. “ That’s the only excuse that I can think of for what they have done. It’s also the only upside I can think of as well. 

Watch what is happening in Europe. Covid cases increase very fast. If it continues like this they will have a "natural" shutdown - businesses will close because their employees are sick. I think the government here did a great job so far. Of course tourism related businesses suffer but not the big rest of Thailand. But even if Thailand opens its borders completely there will be still much less tourists than usual. So the tourist industry still will have problems.

• Thanks 1

You are a very dumb gov. Incompetent very much.. You left farangs who support Thai family's stranded deliberate. You are a jealous old group of pensioners. Also there is no tourism with you lol. Dirty Chinese are not tourists goose.

Protests have shown your imposters.. Destroyers and finished.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Sounds about right for medium sized bar in a complex with say 5 bgs. Out of that 10k comes rent wages electricity, buyAlcohol etc, 

she said THAT SHE MADE 10 K........go read it....10 k per day.......!!!! thats 70 k per week which I would say is good money....if her statement is true.....which i doubt.....

On 10/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Oldie said:

She made 10,000 a day and couldn't save anything... I know people that are in a worse position. 

Probably her turnover was 10,000 a day  little mixed up ,most Thais have trouble working out any profit figures 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Unfortunately a common cry for a lot of bar owners.

its not just bars, it cascade on everything else,

my neighbor that washes clothes closed shop yesterday

stating pattaya had become too quiet,

she is going back to isaan

2 hours ago, scammed said:

its not just bars, it cascade on everything else,

my neighbor that washes clothes closed shop yesterday

stating pattaya had become too quiet,

she is going back to isaan

Of course it's cascaded, however as the story was about a bar owner, my comment stated the obvious, i.e. she was not alone, other bars were and had done down the hole.

This is and will continue to have a domino affect for years to come, that said, my wife has just started her business from home and is making a killing in the sense that she is making 3 times what the average wage is for a Thai, although she doesn't need to work, she saw an opportunity and pounced on it, that said, people will need to diversify and keep swimming to stay afloat.