DIY termite eradication.

vogie

1 minute ago, rumak said:

if small area get a small plastic bottle of Chaindrite (thais prounounce it  chelldrite )

mix ABOUT  20% or even less  ( with water in small spray container and spray liberally on bottom of frame and where it goes into the concrete.

can be bought at hardware and building supplies

I have also noticed some of their wood dust by the door lock cut out, so how far up the timber is anyones guess. Luckely my doors are plastic but the surrounds are wood.

BTW:  all here should learn what termite tunnels look like.   easy to spot on inspections walking around the house ( concrete houses of course easiest)

old wooden houses built on the ground or even off it can be difficult to catch unless one inspects often.

they live in ground !  and work their way into house  via the tunnels      OR, if wooden posts can eat inside and go up  ????

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

if small area get a small plastic bottle of Chaindrite (thais prounounce it  chelldrite )

mix ABOUT  20% or even less  ( with water in small spray container and spray liberally on bottom of frame and where it goes into the concrete.

can be bought at hardware and building supplies

Vogie you can get that Chaindrite as an aerosol in a can. Comes with a thin metal pipe you put on the nozzle and spray into any gaps you think they might be coming in by.

The "spray" carries on working for a couple of months after you have used it.

The stuff is very strong so I would remove pets and yourselves from the house before you use it and leave the house to vent for an hour or so before going back in. 

Anyway good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

BTW:  all here should learn what termite tunnels look like.   easy to spot on inspections walking around the house ( concrete houses of course easiest)

old wooden houses built on the ground or even off it can be difficult to catch unless one inspects often.

they live in ground !  and work their way into house  via the tunnels      OR, if wooden posts can eat inside and go up  ????

The house itself is only about 4 years old, built on the ground and mainly of concrete construction.

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

even concrete structures are at risk...the tunnels can undermine foundations and they can easily live on orgranic matter outside of the house.

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

and they did that by digging a shallow trench around the perimeter of the house and in that they placed a pipe system with vent holes and used the vent holes to pour in a solution which effectively surrounded the house.

You can do that here, if you were to build a new house I strongly advise putting in the pipe system

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Vogie you can get that Chaindrite as an aerosol in a can. Comes with a thin metal pipe you put on the nozzle and spray into any gaps you think they might be coming in by.

The "spray" carries on working for a couple of months after you have used it.

The stuff is very strong so I would remove pets and yourselves from the house before you use it and leave the house to vent for an hour or so before going back in. 

Anyway good luck. 

Do I have to drill any holes in the door frame for it to penetrate. Would spraying the bottom of the door frame kill the ones higher up in the frame? Thanks

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do I have to drill any holes in the door frame for it to penetrate. Would spraying the bottom of the door frame kill the ones higher up in the frame? Thanks

You can hear them get something like a small hammer and start tapping around the area you will hear click click click especially behind the skirting boards they will eat all the wood away and leave the varnish or pain there

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The house is mostly surrounded by tiles and at the last house we had the same problem and did get the professionals in, they ended up drilling holes in the tiles and injecting their killer liquid into the holes.

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

That thin metal tube you put on the nozzle allows you to get into cracks and crevices. With the aerosol you should be able to fill any airspace inside the door if you can get that tube in there. 

This is the foam but I suggest you get the aerosol. You can see how small the tube is there. 

เชนไดร้ท์โฟม Chaindrite Foam ขนาด 250 กรัม แพ็คคู่ ส่งฟรี  ผลิตภัณฑ์กำจัดปลวกแบบเนื้อโฟม | Lazada.co.th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a pipe system installed under the house when it was built, get's re-charged every few months by the Termite-Lady.

The house has no problems, but despite them spraying around the periphery we still get the beasties attacking anything wooden which isn't on the main slab.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The house is mostly surrounded by tiles and at the last house we had the same problem and did get the professionals in, they ended up drilling holes in the tiles and injecting their killer liquid into the holes.

There's a video on the seller's Lazada page that shows how this is supposed to work, it's a bait and carry back to the nest principle so no holes needed.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There's a video on the seller's Lazada page that shows how this is supposed to work, it's a bait and carry back to the nest principle so no holes needed.

Would be good to know if anybody has tried it, did it work

• Like 2

From what I can see it's certain areas, I have owned a few house over the years I have lived here, just this one I have now I bought 4 years ago I've got to be right on top of it, still a few things I could replace, It's like Termite City.

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

That thin metal tube you put on the nozzle allows you to get into cracks and crevices. With the aerosol you should be able to fill any airspace inside the door if you can get that tube in there. 

This is the foam but I suggest you get the aerosol. You can see how small the tube is there. 

เชนไดร้ท์โฟม Chaindrite Foam ขนาด 250 กรัม แพ็คคู่ ส่งฟรี  ผลิตภัณฑ์กำจัดปลวกแบบเนื้อโฟม | Lazada.co.th

One problem with aerosols is it can be difficult to get into areas close to the floor as the can needs to pretty much upright to function...won't work upside down or horizontal.

51 minutes ago, vogie said:

The house itself is only about 4 years old, built on the ground and mainly of concrete construction.

Local shops have pest killer in our village. 

If you do it yourself some it is nasty stuff so be careful. 

As rumak said chaindrite is a start in spraying all the wood frame area,  see if that works first.

I have a 7th floor unit, and found a few flying termites a year ago, but no other evidence.

Is there a general spray that can be used that's sprayed around the unit, as opposed to directly onto a nest, as I have no idea if there are any other termites, let alone where.

Or would keeping some poison bait at various places around the unit be a good idea? 

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Local shops have pest killer in our village. 

If you do it yourself some it is nasty stuff so be careful. 

As rumak said chaindrite is a start in spraying all the wood frame area,  see if that works first.

But that would not eradicate them would it, from what I have been reading they need to be carrying poison back to their nest. But having said that I bought some ant poison and they wouldn't go anywhere near it.????

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I have a 7th floor unit, and found a few flying termites a year ago, but no other evidence.

Is there a general spray that can be used that's sprayed around the unit, as opposed to directly onto a nest, as I have no idea if there are any other termites, let alone where.

Or would keeping some poison bait at various places around the unit be a good idea? 

That appears to be the problem, the critters nest could be underground somewhere. Poison bait does seem to be the answer though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

But that would not eradicate them would it, from what I have been reading they need to be carrying poison back to their nest. But having said that I bought some ant poison and they wouldn't go anywhere near it.????

Termites are no ants. They will not bring poison to a nest. Also baiting is not easy. The best thing is to avoid wood in the home wherever possible.

• Like 1