DIY termite eradication.

vogie

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The house itself is only about 4 years old, built on the ground and mainly of concrete construction.

I currently have 5 concrete houses, have owned others........  3 are built on the ground, 2 are raised a little bit.    The concrete slab on all are at least 10 centemeters, using portland cement.  Then there is another layer of cement under the tile.  These 5 houses are 15 years old and none ever had an inside problem regarding termites.  I did have one house where i noticed a little infiltration where an inside bathroom door showed signs as you describe.  I sprayed at bottom of door frame as i told you, let some seep down..... and never a problem since.   

Usually the problem on this type of house ( which almost all are that are recently built) will be on an outside door, , like a storage room,  or very occasionally you might see the beginnings of a tunnel on an outside wall.   If on an inside wall ,  whoever did the foundation did a very poor job.

there will be other experts here talking all kinds of stuff..... but i am talking from my 30 years of experience.  I had some pain in the butt problems with 2 partly wooden houses way back,  and do not

do wood anymore.  A friend who treated the ground and wood of his house still had some termite problems .

Serious problems do require a professional,  which i have used only once when a tenant did not observe the big tunnel going up the storage room into the house attic.  DUH. 

I have used the Chaindrite on small things like you mention and it solves the problem. Spray all the wood door areas on the outside for prevention.  I also use it around the base of the house, just walk around with a garden sprayer and give a continuous spray as you walk.  Once a month or two, takes a few minutes and controls ants from getting into the house. ( unlike chalk, this stuff has a residual effect and works)       

Note:  i favor the concentrate over the spray.     lazy to explain why  ???? 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

I thought most modern built houses already has the pipe system built in, I know ours does out in Min Buri. We pay 5k a year for the bug guys, they come out every 3 months. For an extra ThB 1,500 they even fumigate all the drains and water points for Mosquito. Most of our neighbours don't bother with the bug guys. They now pay the price, one house really bad, cost ThB 400k to set right. Idiots. Best set is to find a local but repellent company to come out and see what's what.
It will be money well spent in the long run......

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

But that would not eradicate them would it, from what I have been reading they need to be carrying poison back to their nest. But having said that I bought some ant poison and they wouldn't go anywhere near it.????

I have a lot of wood inside my house but it was all pretreated properly before instillation 

Some outside areas I just replaced or used spray on it in some places and it seemed to do the trick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vogie said:

I have also noticed some of their wood dust by the door lock cut out, so how far up the timber is anyones guess. Luckely my doors are plastic but the surrounds are wood.

You gotta watch the floors and walls and spray every time you see them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Termites are no ants. They will not bring poison to a nest. Also baiting is not easy. The best thing is to avoid wood in the home wherever possible.

Most of my house, walls and floors is poured concrete.

I've got fake wood laminate floorboards upstairs ...... the little blighters ate their way along just one in the middle of the floor. I also have fake wood skirting-boards ...... again they ate just the one completely gone.

They'll eat a lot more than wood.

I'm guessing the manufacturers treat their products, but miss out a plank here and there.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, vogie said:

The house itself is only about 4 years old, built on the ground and mainly of concrete construction.

I was a builder in the USA. We would always pretreat the ground for termites before pouring concrete. Maybe they don't do that here?

25 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

I was a builder in the USA. We would always pretreat the ground for termites before pouring concrete. Maybe they don't do that here?

I have watched the builders here make concrete and not use stone, it is too much work for them when they mix it by hand. They built me an extension to the kitchen and I had to tell them to put stone in the mix.

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The stuff is very strong so I would remove pets and yourselves from the house before you use it and leave the house to vent for an hour or so before going back in.

Yes. We had an invasion of small moths in the bathroom from the septic system. Almost suffocated from using too much in a small space.

6 hours ago, rumak said:

if small area get a small plastic bottle of Chaindrite (thais prounounce it  chelldrite )

mix ABOUT  20% or even less  ( with water in small spray container and spray liberally on bottom of frame and where it goes into the concrete.

can be bought at hardware and building supplies

That dilution is ridiculously strong and quite probably dangerous.

The strongest solution is a 25 to 1

Chaindrite Stedfast 30 SC

1. For public health insect control and cereal storage.(6-8 wks residual effect)
    For cockroach and crawling insects : Dilute 25 ml product with 1 Lt water. Spray at the rate of 1 litre per 20 square metre.
    For flying insects: Diulte 30 ml product with 1 Lt water. Spray at the rate of 1 litre per
    40 square metre.
    For tick and flea : Diulte 20 ml product with 1 Lt water. Spray at the rate of 1 litre per
    20 square metre.
  2. For Pre- and Post -constrution Soil Treatment : Dilute 1 Lt product with 60 Lt water. Apply 60 Lt of diluted product to 5-8 square metre. Overlay with plastic sheet and iron net and complete the concrete fill within the same day.
  3. For Perimeter treatment with residual effect of 1-2 months : Dilute at 1:100 ratio or 1 Lt  product with 100 Lt water. Spray over 1,500 -2,000 sqyare netre

Edited by sometimewoodworker

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That dilution is ridiculously strong and quite probably dangerous.

The strongest solution is a 25 to 1

Chaindrite Stedfast 30 SC

yes,  you're right.     i do use very little,  miswrote on the percent 

thank you for always being here to correct me.   

1 minute ago, rumak said:

yes,  you're right.     i do use very little,  miswrote on the percent 

thank you for always being here to correct me.   

No problem, the miswritten percentage is potentially nasty 

Active ingredient in Chaindrite Stedfast 30 SC is pyrethroid group. No specific antidote, Treat symptomatically.

The Chainderite MDS 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifenthrin is the active ingredient 

It is deadly to fish.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I have just bought a bottle of this from HomePro, unfortunately it is all in Thai, will this kill all the termites and their nests, and/or will I still have to buy some bait boxes.

That product is a Bifenthin based contact killer.

Read here:

https://www.toagroup.com/en/product/product-details?url=chaindrite-stedfast-30-sc

https://www.domyown.com/what-is-the-difference-between-fipronil-and-bifenthrin-when-it-comes-to-killing-all-types-of-termites-qa-64910.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

My mate in Australia had the same problem when termites infested his house and they got into quite a few places before he realised it and got in some experts to cope with it.

They ascertained that these pests were getting in somewhere through a crack in the concrete base of the house, which seems unlikely but these guys were experts and they did cure the problem – – – and they did that by digging a shallow trench around the perimeter of the house and in that they placed a pipe system with vent holes and used the vent holes to pour in a solution which effectively surrounded the house.

I can't remember how the termites were supposed to carry this liquid back to their nests, but that was the ploy, and it worked.

Good luck with finding some experts here to do that same type of operation for you.

They do the same in Thailand, at least in the North

43 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

They do the same in Thailand, at least in the North

Also here in Phuket......saw a house here which was totally infested with the things. They ate out doors, cupboards, kitchen cabinets and even a benchtop which had a melamine covering!! Barstewards!!

15 hours ago, drtreelove said:

You are assuming that the "wood dust" is sign of a termite infestation, but it could be powder-post beetles. 

https://termitesurvey.com/difference-beetles-termites/#:~:text=Powder-post beetles are a kind of insect that,insects that don’t need each other to function.

true........ especially in bamboo or very soft wood         bamboo or rattan furniture often has those beetles,  and even with the spray (in the holes)  they seem to keep popping up in another area

The whole house needs to be treated professionally. You will not eradicate them properly by treating them yourself. I have an American chap treat my house fully once a year with quarterly check ups/top ups for 8,000 baht, with a safe treatment from Australia. Never had an issue since I started the treatment. It started when I came back from the UK after 4 months and the kitchen cupboard door fell off when my wife opened it. I had to replace all the kitchen units and all of the downstairs wood skirting boards. If you have it in one place I guarantee you have it everywhere. 

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I used to hate mosquitoes, but I love them compared to termites.

I noticed on the 4th floor of Ram hospital they had eaten away the wood frame of the doors!  

What they've done to my wood working tools I brought over from America is incredible... Now I see the foolishness of my ways in using the old lanna style house on stilts as my room after putting in interior cement board walls and a ceiling.  They've eaten some rafters away completely in just a few years... omg!.

Chandrite 30 sc has now been sprayed liberally after first vacuuming up all the termites I could scrap away... at 72 am too old for this stuff, but have seen the corners Thais will cut if you don't watch every minute so since I sleep under this roof I felt I needed to do myself.  I'll die a happy man if never see another termite.

later,

Mike

• Like 1