Britain and EU to try to rescue post-Brexit trade talks

webfact

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

You stated that the EU is not bothered about a deal which equates to not being bothered about the 1 million EU workers who will lose their jobs, care to re-think your original post?

is it a fact or just an assumption/estimation made by some UK news site trying to make a sour deal look like a potential catastrophe, if it's a fact, please provide the link....

Vogie, I am going to tell you a secret, please don't repeat.... a good deal it's only good if good for both parties, a BAD deal is only bad if bad for both parties, in this case, if a no trade deal is reached it will be bad for both sides, which side will suffer the must it's anybody's guess but my money would be in the UK

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

is it a fact or just an assumption/estimation made by some UK news site trying to make a sour deal look like a potential catastrophe, if it's a fact, please provide the link....

Vogie, I am going to tell you a secret, please don't repeat.... a good deal it's only good if good for both parties, a BAD deal is only bad if bad for both parties, in this case, if a no trade deal is reached it will be bad for both sides, which side will suffer the must it's anybody's guess but my money would be in the UK

As requested.

https://www.ft.com/content/18ff26dc-b4c1-406d-ab68-2eacf24944b7

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

You stated that the EU is not bothered about a deal which equates to not being bothered about the 1 million EU workers who will lose their jobs, care to re-think your original post?

Project fear Vogie.

15 minutes ago, Loiner said:

All deals of this type are a competition in which both sides aim is to get the best out of the deal for their own side. 
The EU wants more than just a trade deal, but to restrict UK policy and world trade, while imposing EU controls and law on the very country which just left their union because we did not want those EU regulations. Negotiations trying to tie us back into the EU is what makes us distrust the untrustworthy EU, there's no working together with them.

I didn't spoke about what both sides aim was/is or what restrictions, policies, controls or whatsoever, I spoke about trying to make a good deal that would be good for both sides but it's too much for you and right away you started finger pointing, blaming the EU.... not worth my ink,  I rest my case

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

it's a warning nothing else, just a warning like when the bad weather/storms/thunder/typhoon or be be careful the dog might bite you and so forth, nothing happened but you were warned... and btw the figure is 700,000 potential jobs losses.... you have been Warnbed, Vogie...  555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

I showed you that the EU is not trying to make a deal that is good for both sides. 
Save your ink and don't just rest your case, but have a good lie down.

last try.... there is ALWAYS two versions/opinions to a fact, yours is clear,  maybe, could it be possible that somebody else has a different one,?..... just give it a thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

I've never seen a UK fishing quota sale agreement. Do you have a copy of a contract? There are usually a few ways to terminate a contract without breaking it. These type of deals are often for a given period. 

You may need to talk to Tony Bliar about that. IIRC he was the PM when it was sold off cheaply.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

deleted post

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What 48% of the population are you talking about?

Did you mean the 48% of those who voted or 48% of the entire population? You remember that only 72.2% of the population actually turned up to vote and the other 27.8% just couldn't be bothered.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/elections-and-referendums/past-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/results-and-turnout-eu-referendum

https://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Seems a bit pedantic as the point that I was making wasn't dependent on the numbers; the figure could just as easily been 1% and the argument would remain the same.

Nevertheless, I'll change "48% of the population" to "34.656% of the population" if you like.

Edited by RayC
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, RayC said:

Seems a bit pedantic as the point that I was making wasn't dependent on the numbers; the figure could just as easily been 1% and the argument would remain the same.

Nevertheless, I'll change "48% of the population" to "34.656% of the population" if you like.

No, you were posting false information. I am not being pedantic but you don't seem to understand commonsense maths. 

If you are going to post something then you really ought to be sure that what you are posting is correct and that you can back it up with links the first time you post it. Otherwise it is simply an opinion and everybody has at least one of those.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You should have told Boris that for a No Deal Brexit he doesn’t need “a massive lever”, and that he doesn’t need to backpedal from deadline to deadline like an amateur ???? 

Only last week he's beaten Barnier over the head with it and sent him home. Thanks M. Macron, will you be giving Michel a fundamental change in the EU's approach, to be able to try again?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No, you were posting false information. I am not being pedantic but you don't seem to understand commonsense maths. 

If you are going to post something then you really ought to be sure that what you are posting is correct and that you can back it up with links the first time you post it. Otherwise it is simply an opinion and everybody has at least one of those.

And perhaps you ought to understand the nature and context of the conversation in question before trying to pull me up about.

Below is @Loiner post which I commented on, together with my reply. Tell me how replacing 48% with 37%, 1% or any number between 0.1 - 100 alters the nub of my argument? Or are you are suggesting that it is ok to disenfranchise part of the electorate?

@loiner: Apologies for quoting your post here, but necessary to make my point.

_--------

Remainers and remainerism was a consequence of the referendum. Don't worry though because we won't hang you. As for the division, yes we can do that to your 48%, which we don't need.

Disenfranchising 48% of the population. Might as well do away with the election in 2024 while you're at it.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Only last week he's beaten Barnier over the head with it and sent him home. Thanks M. Macron, will you be giving Michel a fundamental change in the EU's approach, to be able to try again?

Was that the same “last week” where he announced negotiations are over just to backpedal again and keep negotiating? ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Have you tried to convince the Mercedes CEO that no deal is better than a deal, any ideas who will buy the  30,398  mercedes cars that were sold in the UK last year

Once Mercedes start laying off workers it will make it more diffcult for Mercedes to remain in F1 with the expenditure required to maintain a F1 team will Mercedes withdraw from F1 as a result of no deal

What cars the present Mercedes buyers in the UK will buy then ? A Thai built Pajero pick-up ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Explain me: why so many EU-érs would loose their job ? Do not forget: a LOT of UK's export to the EU will disappear also. British cars will be replaced by EU made etc. And for fresh vegetables and fruits... you just can stick to "dried" and canned.. 

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Looking at recent European polls it appears not everyone out of the 450 million people in Europe wishes to remain in the EU and weren't aware when their countries voted to join the EU that they were entering into a contract that is similar to the now illegal perpetual timeshare contracts.

If the EU is so great there shouldn't be an issue holding  national referendum every 5 or 10 years or is it the case they are not confident that every country would vote yes to remain in the EU

Which ? Yes, as small minority maybe. 

Bye-the-way: would also be a good idea for the UK: which county/constituency still wants to stay in the UK...

Even the Scots are not allowed by Westminster...

Eur social survey member EU.webp