Britain and EU to try to rescue post-Brexit trade talks

webfact

14 hours ago, RayC said:

And perhaps you ought to understand the nature and context of the conversation in question before trying to pull me up about.

Below is @Loiner post which I commented on, together with my reply. Tell me how replacing 48% with 37%, 1% or any number between 0.1 - 100 alters the nub of my argument? Or are you are suggesting that it is ok to disenfranchise part of the electorate?

@loiner: Apologies for quoting your post here, but necessary to make my point.

_--------

Remainers and remainerism was a consequence of the referendum. Don't worry though because we won't hang you. As for the division, yes we can do that to your 48%, which we don't need.

Disenfranchising 48% of the population. Might as well do away with the election in 2024 while you're at it.

The point is that YOU are claiming that the 48%, or 37% or whatever figure you care to use, have been dis-enfranchised. Please explain in some detail how you have been dis-enfranchised?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02Wv2BcGQD5PoY1XX6UuVKqihlFRw%3A1603171257519&ei=uXOOX72EH9iAyAOqppxQ&q=disenfranchised+meaning&oq=disenfranchised+meaning&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFAAWABg-uQBaABwAXgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj9xMWqtsLsAhVYAHIKHSoTBwoQ4dUDCA0

dis·en·fran·chise

verb
past tense: disenfranchised; past participle: disenfranchised
deprive (someone) of the right to vote.
"the law disenfranchised some 3,000 voters on the basis of a residence qualification"
deprive (someone) of a right or privilege.
"a measure that would disenfranchise people from access to legal advice"
ARCHAIC
deprive (someone) of the rights and privileges of a free inhabitant of a borough, city, or country.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

The point is that YOU are claiming that the 48%, or 37% or whatever figure you care to use, have been dis-enfranchised. Please explain in some detail how you have been dis-enfranchised?

YOU have misunderstood and/or misinterpreted my post(s). 

My post (#59) was an off-the-cuff, sacastic remark to @Loiner , which he appears to have treated with the contempt it probably deserved by ignoring it.

So, if it helps put an end to this exchange. No, I don't believe that voters in the UK have been disenfranchised, or that the current government has any plans to do so.

I'll try to pre-empt any reply by adding that I expect that the 2024 general election will go ahead as planned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

We had no problems importing fresh fruit and vegetables before we joined the Common Market, in fact in certain cases they were cheaper!

I'm pretty sure that fruit and vegetable growers in European countries who currently sell into the UK will wish to continue doing so.

If the EU chooses to forbid such trade (illegal unless properly sanctioned under the World Trade Organisation rules) or to impose punitive tarrifs, then they will have to answer to those producers, who will certainly not be happy.

I cannot think of anything that we currently import from EU countries which we couldn't source from elsewhere - perhaps more expensive ( by no means certain in all cases), certainly less convenient, but given time it can be done.

And for those enthusiasts who advocate bricking up the tunnel and effectively imposing a blockade, don't forget that would also effectively blockade Ireland. What is more (and this last is not intended  to be taken seriously) I understand that none of your U Boats work at the moment!????

Why the EU would forbid any trade with any nation on the world ?  And how ?

Maybe when there is a boycot, sanctioned by the UN or .. EU, but against England c.s. for fresh foods ? ?

To block any transport from and to the EUK ? Give me any reason.

Please take in account the exchange rate of the GBP then and now.

It is the CUSTOMS handling, who will cause the congestion. Not any other EU rule.

Only a big chance the UK will impose the same import duty tariffs as the EU impose on UK origin.

Like.. oh fun, 

CHAPTER 7 EDIBLE VEGETABLES AND CERTAIN ROOTS AND TUBERS 

0704 20 goods_menu.png
-   Brussels sprouts 

Measures for import:
Third country duty (01-07-2000 - )  12.00 %  

0809 10 goods_menu.png
-   Apricots  (PN001)
Measures for import:
Third country duty (01-08-2020 - 31-12-2020)  20.00 % (PB002)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

We had no problems importing fresh fruit and vegetables before we joined the Common Market, in fact in certain cases they were cheaper!

I'm pretty sure that fruit and vegetable growers in European countries who currently sell into the UK will wish to continue doing so.

If the EU chooses to forbid such trade (illegal unless properly sanctioned under the World Trade Organisation rules) or to impose punitive tarrifs, then they will have to answer to those producers, who will certainly not be happy.

I cannot think of anything that we currently import from EU countries which we couldn't source from elsewhere - perhaps more expensive ( by no means certain in all cases), certainly less convenient, but given time it can be done.

And for those enthusiasts who advocate bricking up the tunnel and effectively imposing a blockade, don't forget that would also effectively blockade Ireland. What is more (and this last is not intended  to be taken seriously) I understand that none of your U Boats work at the moment!????

I suppose the tariffs you talk about are for imports, not exports. So the EU can still sell you veggies (but the cost of handling/customs will be higher). But if the UK does not impose any tariffs itself you might ruin your own producers. And yes, UK exporters wil be hit hard by WTO tariffs.

• Like 1