Landborders

What are people's thoughts on landborders opening???they can't stay closed forever.with high season coming up fairly soon surely a country like Cambodia would want to open and get the economy in Siem reap pumped up again,if these places miss one high they won't last until the next high season.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

You can't even get into neighboring countries right now.  All borders are closed not just by Thailand, but by them also.

I didn't say the borders were open. 

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not anytime soon unless one of them opened up

But by air it is possible to enter Cambodia with the correct visa issued by one of their embassies.

The border crossings are closed for normal departures from here but if a person was allowed to enter Cambodia they could probably leave Thailand.

• Like 2

It's not strictly true to say that all the land borders are completely closed.  It is possible to enter/exit Thailand over a land border if the COE requirements are met.  My (non-Thai) wife and son returned from Laos in August over the Chong Mek border (Ubon).  Of course, they needed COEs and had to quarantine in Bangkok.

I live basically on the Cambodian border, Probably in the last month I have noticed lots of Cambodian labourers around definitely many more than those few who stayed throughout. They are employed mainly in fruit picking at the moment, and I have noticed a lot of activity in orchards generally also. The Chinese buyers were allowed in so must have been the labour. The wife says illegally, I know that growers were complaining about the very high cost to bring them in legally.

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not strictly true to say that all the land borders are completely closed.  It is possible to enter/exit Thailand over a land border if the COE requirements are met.  My (non-Thai) wife and son returned from Laos in August over the Chong Mek border (Ubon).  Of course, they needed COEs and had to quarantine in Bangkok.

Interesting! How did they travel from Chong Mek to Bangkok? That's quite a hike where people who are supposed to quarantine first could get lost or in contact with people.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I didn't say the borders were open. 

But by air it is possible to enter Cambodia with the correct visa issued by one of their embassies.

However there are no flights between Thailand and Cambodia.

You would have to take a detour through a third country such as Korea.

And you would have to qualify for a business visa, tourist visas are not being issued.

• Like 1

Don't plan your whole life on borders re openingsoon  , the intra Korean border has been closed all my life and many others.

Of course if some kind of vaccine, respite arrives all trading partners and tourists destinations will want to open but you must have seen the polls that despite the hardships most locals are in no hurry to open despite TAT dreams.

I find it annoying with a multi O enbaling me to hop over a few times a month to shop but Thai regime has our concerns pretty far down the agenda.

The era of a "useful" multi entry or borde rbounce may be over as immigration has long wanted either short real vacationers or long term workers and  retirees on 1 year non O type deals, despite recent buzz about nomads, STVs I think high roller be they gamblers investors medical big spenders is the grwoth market not the backpacker low budget crowd,

This will prove a real pain to those n rotation having to obtain access more than once a year like oil guys and many in the Gulf for whom the non O multi has been very handy.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, Caldera said:

Interesting! How did they travel from Chong Mek to Bangkok? That's quite a hike where people who are supposed to quarantine first could get lost or in contact with people.

They were met at the border by a hospital 'quarantine' van (and a nurse) and taken first to Ubon for another Covid test, and then on to Bangkok. This had to be approved by the MOFA before the COE was issued. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Why couldn't they quarantine in Ubon? Very strange...is Bangkok the only city in the country? 

On 10/20/2020 at 4:45 PM, RubbaJohnny said:

Don't plan your whole life on borders re openingsoon  , the intra Korean border has been closed all my life and many others.

Of course if some kind of vaccine, respite arrives all trading partners and tourists destinations will want to open but you must have seen the polls that despite the hardships most locals are in no hurry to open despite TAT dreams.

I find it annoying with a multi O enbaling me to hop over a few times a month to shop but Thai regime has our concerns pretty far down the agenda.

The era of a "useful" multi entry or borde rbounce may be over as immigration has long wanted either short real vacationers or long term workers and  retirees on 1 year non O type deals, despite recent buzz about nomads, STVs I think high roller be they gamblers investors medical big spenders is the grwoth market not the backpacker low budget crowd,

This will prove a real pain to those n rotation having to obtain access more than once a year like oil guys and many in the Gulf for whom the non O multi has been very handy.

A lot of conjecture and speculation there.

The North-South Korean border is hardly a good example of what's happening now. Two completely different things. 

Anutin has said he wants the borders opened soon. Forget about what the population thinks...the economy is going down the toilet and the borders NEED to be opened and the decision to do so will be made by the government, not some hysterical locals whose opinions were made known in a biased poll.  

When exactly that will happen is unclear (as others have stated it depends on neighboring countries too, which in some cases, are being even more stubborn about this than Thailand) but eventually, most likely sometime next year they'll reopen. The vaccine is far from guaranteed and a border reopening won't depend on it. They could just go for testing at the border or wait until things settle down and reopen normally then. It's all a big guessing game.

• Thanks 1

Cannot argue with any of that.As you correctly state it is beyond the control of the Thais however much they wish to open.For most of my life E Europe was "virtually closed' in practice to poor solo travellers. Organised more controllable groups , exchanges were allowed but very limited.Gibralter had a closed border and Koenigsberg/Kaliningrad too.

Luckily this is not a political issue like Czechia DDR Korea etc but the fact the restrictions are due to a virus makes it even harder to predict. All I wished to point out was I may not live to do another border bounce by land and would certainly not wish to queue up with crowds at Myanmar frontier even if open.

I read here those willing to risk the hassle of re entry and $3000 deposit equivalent are "free " to visit Cambodge, I went from DDR to Czechoslovakia in 1970s and 1980sas it was then with a great deal of paperwork, inconvenience.For my Moravian parter  it was "easier to visit Cuba or Vietnam than Vienna an hour away.There may be travle bubbles or pairs, it is hard to guess.

The entry of hundreds of foreigners free to roam will almost certanly lead to transmssion, then we will see what level of trade off is acceptabel as is the burning issue in US ad Europe where the most frail have probably already succombed.

I doubt the fre tourists who have spare cash will wish to visit LOS with quarantine, demos and a justifiable  anti foreigner fear of transmission.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Why couldn't they quarantine in Ubon? Very strange...is Bangkok the only city in the country? 

At that time (August) the only ASQ outside Bangkok was Amari Buriram, but that was totally booked up.  It was one of the issues in getting the COE, as at first it was rejected as they (MOFA) were not satisfied that the journey from the border to Bangkok could be completed safely.  I appealed, and they re-considered, but the additional Covid test in Ubon was required - they also had to be Covid tested in Laos 72-hours before travelling.  It was not a cheap process!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Cannot argue with any of that.As you correctly state it is beyond the control of the Thais however much they wish to open.For most of my life E Europe was "virtually closed' in practice to poor solo travellers. Organised more controllable groups , exchanges were allowed but very limited.Gibralter had a closed border and Koenigsberg/Kaliningrad too.

Luckily this is not a political issue like Czechia DDR Korea etc but the fact the restrictions are due to a virus makes it even harder to predict. All I wished to point out was I may not live to do another border bounce by land and would certainly not wish to queue up with crowds at Myanmar frontier even if open.

I read here those willing to risk the hassle of re entry and $3000 deposit equivalent are "free " to visit Cambodge, I went from DDR to Czechoslovakia in 1970s and 1980sas it was then with a great deal of paperwork, inconvenience.For my Moravian parter  it was "easier to visit Cuba or Vietnam than Vienna an hour away.There may be travle bubbles or pairs, it is hard to guess.

The entry of hundreds of foreigners free to roam will almost certanly lead to transmssion, then we will see what level of trade off is acceptabel as is the burning issue in US ad Europe where the most frail have probably already succombed.

I doubt the fre tourists who have spare cash will wish to visit LOS with quarantine, demos and a justifiable  anti foreigner fear of transmission.

Fair enough and lots of good points raised.

Personally, I think the fear factor will disappear quite quickly once the global situation stabilizes. Normality will only resume once the entire world is back to normal. Until then, one can only expect a partial reopening at best.