"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #4 Injustice for property owners

webfact

its about time the embassies got involved or perhaps  we reciprocated,in all matters.what needs to happen is racist greed control needs to be reigned in.in all western countries thais with property/ visas can return or be allowed back and forth to the same extent the locals can.property holders spouses etc.so if this isnt reciprocated do something about it.we are always being preached to from our pc govts about discrimination and this is clear cut.so clearly act.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

While I cannot disagree that other countries are handling this better but for years I have read and heard a lot about "They do not care, all they want is your money".  I guess I would ask " Why should they care?"  I do not mean that in a harsh way but what do you really expect them to do?  I would never expect a country to care about me and the folks that go on and on about how much money they spend here shouldn't really matter and clearly doesn't.  I work and live here and pay Thai taxes, own a home etc and I do not expect special privileges. Same as when I lived in the states. Why would I expect special privileges?  I think many foreigners have a much higher opinion of their worth here.   

This is a mess and has brought out the worst in many people and governments.  I have a few friends in the states who had family members die due to C19 related complications and they could not attend their funeral. Does the country not care or are they holding fast to the C19 controls in place?

Again I feel for the folks and believe they should have a group reviewing requests submitted wanting to return back to family, friends and their homes. Clearly its not a priority.  

Thai government said it quite clearly: Getting rid of the C19 pandemic is their top priority, and as long as the pandemic is not over in the West Farangs that want to return from Western Nations are considered a menace to Thai people.

My wife and I moved to Thailand to retire and returned to the States 4 years ago and while we were there we met many people that purchased homes and condos. I was always leary of the Thai way of purchasing real estate with a Thai partner that had 51% of the ownership of property or business. I explained to my expat friends that if the government wants at anytime they could just find a way to confiscate the property. The same goes for the money in a Thai bank, we stayed using the income proving method at the time. I never trusted a government or a people that will not allow full ownership in anything. The US has a treaty that allows US citizens to purchase land and own business but try to do that and it is impossible so the treaty is useless, like everything else that is put forth by the government. They want only to confiscate property and money left in bank accounts as they need it to do what they want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Covid is putting the world on a war footing putting travel on hold so for now best to forget foreign property and stay at home. Let's hope that war does not actually break out there are hot spots where this could happen 

It's not covid 19,it's the governments from many countries that have the Power to control the many, it's gone to their heads or some group with big money that  are paying them to do this. If you took a vote on this with the Thai people, I am sure they would want all the foreigners to return to Thailand with out all this BS.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brunolem said:

But property owners can come back to Thailand!

They just need to show 3 million baht on their Thai bank account, 0.5 million in a foreign bank account, 5 baht of Thai gold around their neck, a Buddha amulet approved by the Thai Post Office, and be able to recite the Thai alphabet backward in less than 3 minutes.

What's to complain about?

UPDATE :  Sorry B .......    there were a few people that managed to do that.    NOW,  the time to recite the alphabet has been changed.   One Minute !     GO....

14 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Other countries around the world are handling this much better than Thailand.  It has nothing to do with professionalism, it's the fact that they just don't care.  Everybody knows it.

I'd disagree, I think its that they are more risk adverse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1