"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #4 Injustice for property owners

webfact

Closing a bank account seems to be an onerous process. Why not just withdraw the bulk of the 800,000 thb (or whatever amount you have) but leave some money , a few 1,000 thb, to keep it open.

I believe the withdrawal can be done from outside Thailand using a company (that is inside Thailand) such as Dee Money. Contact DM to find out the process.

IMO though, Unless you really need the money just leave it there until all this is over and you will have a little best egg to kick things off in LOS again. 

• Like 2

Big deal. There's a lot of Australians stranded in the UK, but you don't hear them bleating about how badly their country is treating them. Grow up, for goodness sake, and realise that this is a global crisis, it's not all about you and what suits you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not news. This anti farang campaign started 1.5 years ago. I was informed by civil servant that it was in play. 

Hence the protesters this gov must be held accountable and audited. As we know they came by gun point. The dissent is now huge Thais are posting on FB thousands. It won't be long until all Thais stand. PRAYUT Must be audited and family 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

its about time the embassies got involved or perhaps  we reciprocated,in all matters.what needs to happen is racist greed control needs to be reigned in.in all western countries thais with property/ visas can return or be allowed back and forth to the same extent the locals can.property holders spouses etc.so if this isnt reciprocated do something about it.we are always being preached to from our pc govts about discrimintation and this is clear cut.so clearly act.

Foreign embassies primary objective is to maintain good relations between the two countries/governments.  Unfortunately, that does not include ensuring foreign residents are treated in accordance with foreign norms/laws.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mike1967 said:

In my 11 years of being in Thailand, the one thing I've learnt is always leave yourself in a situation where you can leave in 30 minutes. Obviously many will disagree but Covid kind of proves my point. I'm waiting to get back but the only thing I have there is my motorbike which is stored at friends house.

I own a condo ,car and thai bank acc with substantial funds.

Im fortunate that i returned to thailand,just days prior to lockdown.

At this stage..im happy to spend rest of life in thailand...

But....i dont burn bridges with home country..

I can  easily leave my belongings in thailand,should i wish to leave..

I have funds to live elsewhere,if i want to.

My point is..dont come to thailand if you cant afford to leave what you have here...

Many expats move here,and they dont even have enough funds to buy a house...renting is ok ,but for those that need to get a mortgage in their thai wifes name...i dont feel sorry for you,should anything go wrong..

18 hours ago, johng said:

Hasnt it been said many times.

"Never invest more in Thailand than you are prepared to walk away from"

True, and not just about Thailand many countries... but that doesn’t make it right! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Extremely frustrating, but these visas do not make Thailand your home at all.  This black swan that happened has sent them back to their true nature.

I wouldn't invest .01c in Thailand.  The place is a total train wreck.  Any other country would allow these people back in after doing the proper quarantine measures at their own expense.  

Thais just don't care.  They want more money, and are not interested in doing the right thing.  Disgusting.  

What exactly are they supposed to do? Open the floodgates and get a million cases of Covid? No thanks. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, murraynz said:

I own a condo ,car and thai bank acc with substantial funds.

Im fortunate that i returned to thailand,just days prior to lockdown.

At this stage..im happy to spend rest of life in thailand...

But....i dont burn bridges with home country..

I can  easily leave my belongings in thailand,should i wish to leave..

I have funds to live elsewhere,if i want to.

My point is..dont come to thailand if you cant afford to leave what you have here...

Many expats move here,and they dont even have enough funds to buy a house...renting is ok ,but for those that need to get a mortgage in their thai wifes name...i dont feel sorry for you,should anything go wrong..

It's horses for courses. Everyone has a different situation. I split my time between the UK and Thailand. I love both countries for different reasons. Your life can be ruined, in a second, in Thailand due to the corruption, not only from the authorities. We've all known stories where, through no fault of their own, people's lives have been turned upside down. My point is, Thailand isn't the place to get into trouble, caused by ones self or not. By the way, I would never put anything in a Thai persons name nor would I want to buy a property there, regardless of my financial situation. Just my choice, everyone is different.

Edited by mike1967
Spelling error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

This country has absolutely no respect for Foreigner-Thai families.

1 hour ago, connda said:

We're not welcome here and never will be.

For years I have heard and read the above constant diatribe from disgruntled old foreigners who for some reason believe they should be treated with special gloves. Why is that?  I think most are quite full of themselves. Both of the statements above are utter nonsense IMHO, at least from my experience and the many others I know and interact with here. But then again I think ones personal experience is a reflection on how they probably behave or interact with the Thai community and people. I am treated with respect everywhere I go. I have never once been harassed, treated poorly, told to leave, shoved aside etc. 

I do know a few that have had terrible experiences but when I heard their story and heard how they behaved its no wonder they get pushed to the back of the bus, ignored and stared at. You get the same in any country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fangless said:

I couldn't even get out to the airport in 30 minutes, never mind leave the country in that time.

Uummm. I'd have to check my original post but I'm pretty sure I said 'leave in 30 minutes' not leave the country within 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

Regarding Mr. P's problem which seems centred o wishing to close his bank account :

I suggest he withdraws all but 100 TB from the account and leave the account open.

I have done this a couple of times when the "red tape" required by the banks to close an account just becomes to much !

• Like 1