"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #4 Injustice for property owners

webfact

The stories written don't mention the Thai wives like mine that cannot visit their families because WE cannot go or for fear they will not be allowed to rejoin the husband if they go alone. We are Both locked out of Thailand, with condos sitting empty and car waiting since May. I expect the condos are going to have a lot of January cash flow problems, when condo fees are due! Spending our million baht a year for 4 or 5 months a year in country, will have to go to Florida or Mexico.

• Thanks 1

"For many years we were very happy in Thailand but now we realize more and more that Thailand does not value us at all. We are only seen as ATM machines and we are thinking of selling our property and finding a country where we are more welcome. 

Given how many years they are going to Thialand i am asking myselves: What took them so long to get to this conclusion?  Any Farang is seen as a walking ATM the moment they enter Thailand.

This government has already many problems with everybody include their own citizen right now (and also internationally under the zoom control observation) but doesn't stop to spread zero level social justice and fear, and to their own point of view (very small), we still are "tourists" for them (all of us, expatriate or not, tourists or not, business men or not, family linked or not... all "tourists" to them and 14 days quarantine for first price around 3000 € and a Thai assurance you will never be able to speak with in case of problem, to, maybe, be able to come, no one would be able to imagine something like this for an international flue with a huge background business story time with a "low protection for 2 month" vaccine to come like a blackmail to come with).

All of us, we are in trouble because of some of them (a minority with full power) and no one would be able to forget this, even if we would like to forget, it is still going to far and we are loosing our social life without any consideration.

unacceptable.

2 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Given how many years they are going to Thialand i am asking myselves: What took them so long to get to this conclusion?  Any Farang is seen as a walking ATM the moment they enter Thailand.

It shoud sure be for some, but for who ? Everybody ? come one, are you this one ?

This seems to be a kind of proven generalization. And as all the cases of proven generalization, it can not be intelligent mind production. It can be considered much as a limitation proof from yourself.

Open news papers and see that there is a big deep trouble right now in Thailand (already before COVID business opportunity) and in so many other countries.

Look also that some countries doesn't care much about COVID and doesn't spread fear with that... now look "all" of this one with there own position due to world corruption level classification.

Just conclude what you are able to understand (if not to much complicate to your side).

On 10/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, webfact said:

"For many years we were very happy in Thailand but now we realize more and more that Thailand does not value us at all. We are only seen as ATM machines and we are thinking of selling our property and finding a country where we are more welcome. 

but now we realize more and more that Thailand does not value us at all.

Some of us realised that years ago. Were they still wearing the saffron glasses?

We understood it might be tricky getting back but never imagined it would be this bad.

Did they even ask immigration what the situation would be before leaving, or just assume it would be OK because they are farangs and somehow "special"?

Switzerland is not our home, it’s Thailand now.

No, it's not. Home is where one has a right to live and doesn't have to get permission every year to stay.

We spend a good amount every month there.

I see this so many times- farangs thinking the Thais "owe" them because they spend money in LOS. The Thais that make the decisions, IMO don't care about farangs that spend a few thousand baht a month. Wake up and smell the chilli.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, Dogbarker said:

Sensible I spend "summer"in the UK and am prepared to spend either place  and leave a a house empty when I travel. .. hopefully I can do something simple but may do it at Bangkok rather than Chiang Mai where we also have a condo ....

Thats the way to do it. 

ALWAYS have a backup plan. 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, Neeranam said:

The thai government is much better than other governments when allowing retirees live here with ease and other people too. 

I agree - for all the bleating on TV about how tough retirees have it, the requirements are very reasonable. Sure, there is paperwork and you need some money in the bank, but try applying for residency  in any Western country and see how that goes. Some other Asian countries are easier, but they don’t offer the lifestyle, infrastructure etc of Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, northengr said:

The stories written don't mention the Thai wives like mine that cannot visit their families because WE cannot go or for fear they will not be allowed to rejoin the husband if they go alone. We are Both locked out of Thailand, with condos sitting empty and car waiting since May. I expect the condos are going to have a lot of January cash flow problems, when condo fees are due! Spending our million baht a year for 4 or 5 months a year in country, will have to go to Florida or Mexico.

Yes no good

• 3 weeks later...

After 4 years live in Thailand I understand you are like ATM at all but it have big issues

when you buy something from ATM you own that but in Thailand it’s not belong to you it belong to ...thai government 

from 2 years ago before covid 19 I leave Thailand for ever and till now I’m looking for new country 

that isn’t land of smile that is land of gangs 

so if you live in Thailand and own something before you lose all of them,sell all do you have 

you can rent apartment instead of buy it

also you can rent a car or motorbike instead of buy it

and for your visa if you need to show your bank account many thai gangsters do it for you with 35k baht so do not put your money in trash

I was one of the lucky ones, I got back into Thailand with two weeks to spare. I'm staying put until everyone's borders are open again, which could be 2 - 3 years.

I can only sympathize with those who, through no fault of their own, are stranded. If I had been stuck in Australia, I probably would have slashed my wrist after 6 months. My GF here would have been equally distraught.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Thaifly88 said:

I agree - for all the bleating on TV about how tough retirees have it, the requirements are very reasonable. Sure, there is paperwork and you need some money in the bank, but try applying for residency in any Western country and see how that goes. Some other Asian countries are easier, but they don’t offer the lifestyle, infrastructure etc of Thailand. 

Residency ?   I know loads of Thais with western residency, i know very few westerners with Thai residency... and by the way, Thailand is expensive, unfriendly, difficult, almost impossible to keep up with immigration demands, etc, etc.......Nah, i knew the old Thailand, this at the moment is the worst i've seen in thirty years, thankfully i'll predict a change very shortly before the whole place goes down the toilet.......   The trouble is there's very few people left who knew the old wonderful Thailand.........   Believe me, Thailand's done until there's a massive change in management..... 

On 10/20/2020 at 2:03 PM, northengr said:

I expect the condos are going to have a lot of January cash flow problems, when condo fees are due! 

This could be a huge problem for condo projects in high tourist or expat areas where foreigners have bought heavily (up to 49% of units). Many owners, whether foreigner or Thai, have fallen on hard times and some may not even be willing to pay if they cannot get into the country. At best this will result in delayed maintenance or reduced services such as cleaning or security. Many projects don't have sufficient reserves to carry non or delayed payment for long. I would not want to be an owner in one of these areas.

• Like 1