Getting rid of drain smells

Since my new renovation 9 months ago, and particularly over the last 2 weeks of incessant rain, one of my bathrooms has a damp and sometimes odorous smell. It appears to be coming from the outflow pipe from my wash hand basin.

This is an image of the pipe:

1216043162_Drain1.jpg.c9de791c8956c7e683c54ee0a0006e1e.jpg

I have considered putting in a pee trap, like this:

1279660552_Drain2.thumb.jpg.e6153167d4f73a00b3538d49d3af2ef8.jpg

And Lazada sells this:

1028936428_Drain3.thumb.jpg.6e20c3135985d292dd7d9691ff10ba58.jpg

I cannot seem to get a definitive answer from 2 contractors I have spoken to about it.

Would be grateful for any thoughts or comments from those who may have tackled this problem themselves.

I live in a condo in Bangkok on a high floor. It is possible the contractor who did the renovation made the outflow into a sewage pipe instead of a sanitary pipe. There is no floor drain pipe, except in the shower, and that does not have any odor.

Have always been a big fan of the P trap, you could get the parts to change it, won't cost much and shouldn't take long to change.

• Like 1
Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Have always been a big fan of the P trap, you could get the parts to change it, won't cost much and shouldn't take long to change.

be careful with your P's and Q's ................. or you will be put right by the guy with the long avatar.

or is it user name?   hmmmmm   better google that 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Do have a vent pipe fitted....and if so is it clear.

https://theplumbinginfo.com/plumbing-vent-diagram/

surely ....not.   555   i was wondering if anyone was going to point this out.   I would say that they never do this (have a vent)  in Thailand,  but i am sure someone will tell me they have seen it done.

As the diagram shows, this would send the odors up and out the vent opening top of house. 

Anyone here have that in their home?  

Drains in almost all the hotels i used to stay would have smelly shower drains... yuck 

• Like 1

Also need to show the extension of the diagonal PVC pipe the bottle trap is connected to.

There's a pretty good chance it goes low enough to trap a bubble that would completely defeat the bottle trap.

• Like 1

About once a month it is baking soda, vinegar and hot water in the drain pipes for me.....and a fan running in the general direction in the morning after my rinse off.....seems to do the trick? 🤔🤪😱🥳👍😷🙏🏼

13 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

About once a month it is baking soda, vinegar and hot water in the drain pipes for me.....and a fan running in the general direction in the morning after my rinse off.....seems to do the trick? 🤔🤪😱🥳👍😷🙏🏼

They sell an enzyme/bacteria powder in MR. DIY that works wonders in keeping drains and pipes clear...I toss some in all the drains every 3 months or so.

• Like 1

I've been experiencing bad odor in my bathroom as well. I'm unsure what to do and have had contractors here to check it out. They were useless. When I use the exhaust fan in that room, with the door closed, I'm convinced it draws air in thru the pipes from outside. Since there is no P trap anywhere in my system it's the only conclusion I can come to. I hate it and am considering moving to be done with it all.

• Like 1