Mazda CX5 - Good or Bad

Tofer

I recently looked around a Mazda CX5, and was quite surprised / impressed, never having consider one in the past.

What ownership experience have drivers of this car had, particularly with regard to the reliability and dealership servicing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you contribute.

I am likely getting a Mazda next year.

Had a look at the new CX-30, lovely car.

If I am getting the 5, I would like the model with the 2.5 engine.

I think they are launching the MX 30 in Thailand soon. In Japan they are having the light hybrid variant, so not plug in as far as I know. MX 30 uses same platform as the CX 30 but the design are completely different, looks very very nice on the photos. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, Jack Hna said:

I'm looking at this motor versus xpander but I like the new corolla cross too. Would certainly be interested to read more views and the CX5 seems to hold it's value well.

Been looking at a new motor the last 8 months.

I have a Pajero Sport at the moment, and have been looking out for a better design of a newer model, because Mitsu have provided us with excellent service to date. I was a bit disappointed in the build quality of the Expander, I think it's been spec'd to a price point, so wouldn't recommend that in your choice, unless price is a major consideration.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, Mavideol said:

this is my second  CX5, great car, comfortable ride, safe, smooth ride from Trang to BKK and back, no interior noise, love it and would suggest it

Thanks for the recommendation. Good to hear the comfort factor is adequate for long journeys. Did you do that trip in one day. I can only stand 5-6 hours in the driving seat these days in one go, but that may down to the ageing seats in our 6 year old car. Hence the Volvo idea, seats like a leather armchair.

I've been looking at the Volvo range, but not so serviceable in Thailand, our nearest agent is 4 hours away. The Mazda, on first inspection, appears to have all the specifications and luxury we want, quite a bit cheaper than Volvo and a much better network of distributors. Also, as my years advance, I would like not to have to climb into the car, as with our Pajero. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Good to hear the comfort factor is adequate for long journeys. Did you do that trip in one day. I can only stand 5-6 hours in the driving seat these days in one go, but that may down to the ageing seats in our 6 year old car. Hence the Volvo idea, seats like a leather armchair.

I've been looking at the Volvo range, but not so serviceable in Thailand, our nearest agent is 4 hours away. The Mazda, on first inspection, appears to have all the specifications and luxury we want, quite a bit cheaper than Volvo and a much better network of distributors. Also, as my years advance, I would like not to have to climb into the car, as with our Pajero. 

Spend a night in BKK as had appointment there, but going drove 4-5 hours took a break to eat, coming back 8 hours straight and because I am not a young stud (LOL) anymore my back was a little stiff but no big deal. My neighbor/friend has a diesel one because he drives a lot up to hua hin (his wife is from there) on a regular basis without stopping, he's 69 years young. For me Mazda service has been outstanding, needed to replace gas pump, took 3 weeks for replacement to arrive from Japan, they gave me a car while waiting. Prior to select Mazda did try Pajero, Toyota, Honda CRV, Volvo and Subaru but after trying any of them always go back to Mazda thus was easy choice,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Spend a night in BKK as had appointment there, but going drove 4-5 hours took a break to eat, coming back 8 hours straight and because I am not a young stud (LOL) anymore my back was a little stiff but no big deal. My neighbor/friend has a diesel one because he drives a lot up to hua hin (his wife is from there) on a regular basis without stopping, he's 69 years young. For me Mazda service has been outstanding, needed to replace gas pump, took 3 weeks for replacement to arrive from Japan, they gave me a car while waiting. Prior to select Mazda did try Pajero, Toyota, Honda CRV, Volvo and Subaru but after trying any of them always go back to Mazda thus was easy choice,

The fuel pump is a problem with the petrol cx-5. The diesel cx-5 has issues with its emissions system - particularly the dpf, which is very expensive to replace if out of warranty. I've also read of diesel getting into the oil, but not sure how common that is. That affects engine lifespan. I'd probably grab the earlier petrol 2.5 motor if I was looking at a cx5 and wanted to save some cash - price is 500 to 600K baht.  I have the crv diesel, btw. Less power than the cx5 but very comfortable and large inside. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:34 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I am likely getting a Mazda next year.

Had a look at the new CX-30, lovely car.

If I am getting the 5, I would like the model with the 2.5 engine.

I think they are launching the MX 30 in Thailand soon. In Japan they are having the light hybrid variant, so not plug in as far as I know. MX 30 uses same platform as the CX 30 but the design are completely different, looks very very nice on the photos. 

The MX 30 is an EV vehicle. Not too many charging stations in Thailand.

I bought a top spec CX 30 a couple months ago and love the vehicle. I did look at a new CX 5 with the turbo 2.5 liter engine but at 1.85 million was 650,000 baht more than the CX 30. Besides the engine and being smaller the only accessory the CX 30 is missing over the CX 5 is cooled seats. Now if money is not an option I would buy the CX 5. If money is tight I would buy the CX 30 as it is not slow with its 2 liter engine.

As for quality I think Mazda ranks near the top and handle better than anything else in the class as I had a 2014 Mazda 3 before the CX 30 and never once had a problem with it.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DavisH said:

The fuel pump is a problem with the petrol cx-5. The diesel cx-5 has issues with its emissions system - particularly the dpf, which is very expensive to replace if out of warranty. I've also read of diesel getting into the oil, but not sure how common that is. That affects engine lifespan. I'd probably grab the earlier petrol 2.5 motor if I was looking at a cx5 and wanted to save some cash - price is 500 to 600K baht.  I have the crv diesel, btw. Less power than the cx5 but very comfortable and large inside. 

fuel pump replaced free of charge, I went all the way down to barely no gas and the dirt on the bottom of the tank went into the pump, other than that absolutely NO problem, my friend has the diesel 2018 model and never had the slightest problem, maybe a matter of luck?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Sorry to break into the love fest here......but go to Japan and see how many Mazdas are on the road......very very few. The Japanese know quality and they buy Toyota, not Mazda, Nissan, Subaru or other makes. 

Japan is a unique market. The leading car in sales in Japan is a Toyota Prius and the second best selling car is a Nissan Note. They are also into kie cars (mini cars) so the best selling Honda is the N-Box. Can't compare apples to oranges.

Bought the 2.2l DLX (not too sure about the model letters) .......very nice (had a string of SVR's before retiring here).

Most of what was on the SVR's is included in the CX5, radar cruise control, adaptive lights etc.

Much more powerful than I expected.

I do want to sell though if anyone is interested.....had it for 10 months and only done 4000 miles.....I just don't need it.

OTR Dec 2109 was 1.73 million

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Did you buy it as an investment? What if you put that into Tesla stock instead... 

Funny you say that.....I have bought cars as a "type" of investment for 25 years....If I sell this one and go for Tesla I'll let you know......go short on them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Japan is a unique market. The leading car in sales in Japan is a Toyota Prius and the second best selling car is a Nissan Note. They are also into kie cars (mini cars) so the best selling Honda is the N-Box. Can't compare apples to oranges.

Having lived in Japan for quite a bit more than 2 decades it’s easy to understand the liking for small cars, but mostly no cars. The streets are very narrow and in the metropolitan areas the cost to rent a parking space is the same as for an apartment, so ranging from a low ฿300,000 per year in outer wards of  Tokyo going up to triple that as you get closer in.

Tokyo has a daytime population of around 26 million and a night time population of about 12 million, so you can be sure that virtually nobody commutes by car.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Funny you say that.....I have bought cars as a "type" of investment for 25 years....If I sell this one and go for Tesla I'll let you know......go short on them.

If we could short cars, we would all be rich... I am already long 2 vehicles... but we need them. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

If we could short cars, we would all be rich... I am already long 2 vehicles... but we need them. 

I was fortunate to be in a position to buy one per year tax and duty free. Had to keep each of them for 12 months, but could then sell them .....sweet whilst it lasted.

• Like 1