Jump to content

Divorced, how much time to switch visa?


Recommended Posts

I sure it's been asked and answered many times but my search ability here seems lacking to find an answer. 

Just divorced, current marriage visa ends February 2021. Want to switch to retirement visa. How much time does immigration give me to change? I've been given multiple conflicting answers. Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your x happy not cause issues. Just explain that your switching to Extension based on retirement early 2021.

Ubon will give you 100% accurate advice.

My (limited) understanding is that if wife is deceased you can remain within your current permission of stay. 

For divorce I believe that's not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You extension of stay based upon marriage ends on the day your divorce is final.

There is no official days allowed but an office might not fine you for a overstay if it was only a few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, as ubonjoe clarified above your POS ends when divorced. However as I stated, if still on reasonable terms with x then immigration does not know your divorced.

Your only few months for applying for extension retirement. 

Perhaps more experienced guys can correct this advice is poor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You extension of stay based upon marriage ends on the day your divorce is final.

There is no official days allowed but an office might not fine you for a overstay if it was only a few days.

Gulp, that's not great news been less than a week so...

Funny one agent said I have peeeelenty of time another 3 months if I find another bride can just stay on marriage visa and another 7 days..

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We remain on good terms for now. Seems like when finalized at amphoe new divorced status would be updated into system. Wouldn't immigration see this problem ? I have a 90 day check-in early December. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bruin said:

We remain on good terms for now. Seems like when finalized at amphoe new divorced status would be updated into system. Wouldn't immigration see this problem ? I have a 90 day check-in early December. 

I believe your home free. Explain to x that just chill untill next Feb when you can apply for extension based on retirement.

Immigration is not informed re your divorce. 90 report can be done via mail or online.

Perhaps parting gift would not be out of order. 

Good luck.

Edited by DrJack54
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the same situation a while back. No problems with the X. Just kept my nose clean & kept under the radar. About 5 months after divorce I changed my marriage extension to retirement extension. Immigration guys asked why the change. I replied much less paperwork for both them & me. Received a smile & a nod. All good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bruin said:

We remain on good terms for now. Seems like when finalized at amphoe new divorced status would be updated into system. Wouldn't immigration see this problem ? I have a 90 day check-in early December. 

Immigration can't access any amphoes database. Or any other as far as I know. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could go to the IO and inform them. With your extension cancelled, you then fall under 'visa amnesty' - everyone currently here can stay until the 31st of this month.

 

You can only do this now because of amnesty rules - obviously you couldn't do this pre-covid, and your window of time is running out. Once amnesty is up, they don't have to let you apply for the 60 day extension, as your extension would be invalid, and there is no amnesty period protecting you.

 

Once your current extension based on marriage is cancelled, you could apply for the COVID 60 day extension - you can do this twice so it will take you up to February anyway. Gives you plenty of time to season your funds in the bank, and obtain an extension based on retirement without paying any agent fees.

Edited by 2530Ubon
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

You could go to the IO and inform them. With your extension cancelled, you then fall under 'visa amnesty' - everyone currently here can stay until the 31st of this month.

Then you could apply for the 60 day extension - you can do this twice so it will take you up to February anyway. Gives you plenty of time to season your funds in the bank, and obtain an extension based on retirement without paying any agent fees.

Personally I wouldn't go down that track. 

I would keep the extensions continuous.

Unless things go down hill he can apply for extension based on retirement in January.

Has time to season funds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I wouldn't go down that track. 

I would keep the extensions continuous.

Unless things go down hill he can apply for extension based on retirement in January.

Has time to season funds.

Just thinking if things turn sour, he could be in for a shock. At least this way, he can see whomever he pleases and doesn't have to worry about the ex taking a trip to the IO! Best of luck to the OP 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, DrJack54 said:

Is your x happy not cause issues. Just explain that your switching to Extension based on retirement early 2021.

Ubon will give you 100% accurate advice.

My (limited) understanding is that if wife is deceased you can remain within your current permission of stay. 

For divorce I believe that's not the case.

 

Risky advice. When changing reason for extension from marriage to retirement, some Immigration offices have been reported to request the wife to sign a document that she is aware of the change. If telling the officer that is not possible since you have been divorced, it would be likely that the officer would ask to see divorce documents showing when you were divorced.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Just thinking if things turn sour, he could be in for a shock. At least this way, he can see whomever he pleases and doesn't have to worry about the ex taking a trip to the IO! Best of luck to the OP 🙂

You make very valid point. 

The OP states has extension until Feb. That can mean early or late Feb. Some offices allow apply new extension up to 45 days early.

That could bring it into Dec.

Guess only the OP can judge if x will give him a chop out. Personally I would give her grease money.

I wouldn't start up new digs with new friend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sophon said:

 

Risky advice. When changing reason for extension from marriage to retirement, some Immigration offices have been reported to request the wife to sign a document that she is aware of the change. If telling the officer that is not possible since you have been divorced, it would be likely that the officer would ask to see divorce documents showing when you were divorced.

Not doubting what your stating but can you actually recall a post/thread to that effect.

I have never read one. In fact a post above in thread was a chap did exactly same thing. Zero issues.

I have read many where folk have changed from based on marriage to based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...