Malaysia Border

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your post is not clear. Your either currently in Malaysia or planning a back door entry. Currently land borders are closed. There is specific list of people able to enter Thailand. 

Your situation is completely unclear.

I am in the UK with the Wife and 9 year old son. Wife wants to move back to Thailand permanently and we have land to build on. Looking at ways to enter LOS. Living in Malaysia for a month taking the test then using the land boarder.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Norvabc said:

I am in the UK with the Wife and 9 year old son. Wife wants to move back to Thailand permanently and we have land to build on. Looking at ways to enter LOS. Living in Malaysia for a month taking the test then using the land boarder.

Is Malaysia's border open to foreigners now?

If you enter via Thailand's border, is there a train from southern Thailand to Chiang Mai?

Not sure whether Thailand allows entry based on nationality or the country that you are residing.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Norvabc said:

Assuming your wife is Thai you can return directly, assuming you are really married and not just the village stuff.  No need to go to Malaysia or anywhere else, unless you have other reasons for that. 

• Like 1

Unless you are Malaysian/PR/expat who has existing legal residency status in Malaysia, you will not be able to enter Malaysia at this current point in time as Malaysia's borders are closed.

To add, repatriation to TH via the MY/TH land border crossings are only reserved for Thai citizens right now. Any non-Thai citizens with COE approval to enter Thailand from Malaysia has to be on a repat/semi-commercial flight.

I'm currently stuck in Malaysia and trying to get back to Thailand so am somewhat aware of this....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Norvabc said:

You and your wife can enter the country directly from the UK now if you are legally married.

See this on the London embassy website. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

And here. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562#4

Malaysia had 800+ new cases for last 3 days.

Many foreigners with valid visa types still need to apply approvals to enter Malaysia.

Some even waiting for months and yet to get the necessary approval.

UK was one of the 23 banned countries by Malaysia Gov now.

So, your chance might be slim to enter Malaysia if not Malaysian.

If not wrong, land border to Thailand only for Thai citizens with special approval/arrangement. (rare cases)

Foreigners can only apply COE from Thai embassy at Kuala Lumpur for coming to Thailand.

So far one flight per month approved by embassy, next flight KUL - BKK on 02/Nov by TAI.

(Un-officially, SIA flight which transit at SIN to BKK may be considered alternative way. Need to double check with embassy)

Maybe looking for direct way to enter LOS would be a better chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calvin1976 said:

If not wrong, land border to Thailand only for Thai citizens with special approval/arrangement. (rare cases)

Yes, the MY/TH land border seems to be mostly facilitated for returning migrant laborers. Apparently the state quarantine facilities at these borders are so-called LSQ or Labour State Quarantine, and I've seen pictures of people housed in tents so probably not the most comfortable experience for 14 nights....

22 hours ago, Norvabc said:

Hi All is it possible for a westerner to enter Thailand from Malaysia. If one had to live in Malaysia for say a month then go through the land boarder. Would they still be subject to 14 Quarantine?

Yes and no, basically it depends on your status, married to a Thai, children, work, finances, property etc etc

then you would have to complete all the required documentation and undergo quarantine when and if you qualified.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, Norvabc said:

Let me know if you find a solution as we are stuck in the U.K. with our 5 year old son and paying rent for a house in Pattaya, the owner has reduced the rent though.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, 5ilver said:

Unless you are Malaysian/PR/expat who has existing legal residency status in Malaysia, you will not be able to enter Malaysia at this current point in time as Malaysia's borders are closed.

To add, repatriation to TH via the MY/TH land border crossings are only reserved for Thai citizens right now. Any non-Thai citizens with COE approval to enter Thailand from Malaysia has to be on a repat/semi-commercial flight.

I'm currently stuck in Malaysia and trying to get back to Thailand so am somewhat aware of this....

What about going by trains instead of flight? Is that allowed?

Why are you stuck in Malaysia?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

What about going by trains instead of flight? Is that allowed?

Why are you stuck in Malaysia?

I don't think trains are possible. From what I gather from the KL Thai embassy, they will only issue COEs to eligible non-Thais who will be entering Thailand by air.

I'm just waiting to secure the paperwork to get back to Thailand hence being 'stuck' where I am right now... lots of hoops to jump through and not very fun unfortunately...

To enter into Malaysia, you require to have the Letter of Undertaking from the Embassy of Malaysia, as well you need to apply for Malaysia Immigration Permit to enter Malaysia. The immigration permit will take you weeks to get it.

If you enter Malaysia without the immigration permit, you need to wait for 1 - 3 days inside the Terminal Airport to have permit to enter, otherwise you will need to return where you come from or deport. 

Malaysia borders still not open yet. Recently, the Bukit Kayu Hitam - Sadao closed the border, but other borders remain open. It is for the trading and transportation only. You still need to fly into Thailand. 

For your information, Kedah is remain the red zone area for Covid-19 since the new cluster last month. 

Edited by macgver

On 10/19/2020 at 6:48 PM, Norvabc said:

Hi All is it possible for a westerner to enter Thailand from Malaysia. If one had to live in Malaysia for say a month then go through the land boarder. Would they still be subject to 14 Quarantine?

If your wife is Thai, then your wife will be send to the Government Quarantine Center in Sattahip and it is free of charge. As you are the foreigner, you will need to pay for the quarantine in the Bangkok hotel in between 50,000 - 80,000 baht/per person. 

Few of my friends went through it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct now. They have hotels set up for it now.

I didn't follow the Thai side quarantine. Is it new update? 

My Thai friend return back to Thailand last month, she was sent to Sattahip for State Quarantine.