Seven more Phuket hotels await Bangkok approval to operate as ALSQs, while two key hotels withdraw

snoop1130

Seven more Phuket hotels await Bangkok approval to operate as ALSQs, while two key hotels withdraw

By The Phuket News

1603103335_1-org.jpg

Phuket currently has seven hotels approved to operate as ALSQs. Screenshot: PPHO website

PHUKET:-- Seven more hotels in Phuket have been approved by the Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) and are waiting for approval from Bangkok to start receiving newcomers arriving in the country when international tourists are allowed to land directly in Phuket.

However, two key hotels which were among the first in Phuket to be approved by Bangkok have now decided to no longer operate as ALSQs while the ban on international tourists landing in Phuket remains in place.

PPHO Deputy Chief Padungkiet Utokasenee confirmed to The Phuket News today (Oct 19) that seven hotels in Phuket, offering 739 rooms in total, have been already approved. The seven hotels and resorts are as follows:

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/seven-more-phuket-hotels-await-bangkok-approval-to-operate-as-alsqs-while-two-key-hotels-withdraw-77686.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-19

"A report by the Phuket office of the Public Relations Department (PR Phuket) last week noted that once the hotels have been approved the total number of Alternative Local State Quarantine (ALSQ) hotel rooms available on the island will be above 1,400."

1,400 rooms, with each room being used for 14 nights. So 2,800 potential spaces per month or something like a capacity to quarantine 33,600 potential tourists per year.

That is a tiny, tiny fraction of the visitor numbers in previous years. (Assuming that tourists will agree to pay to be quarantined in the first place).

If I as a tourist can choose between a alsq hotel or not aslq, I would not choose alsq. I think the hotels stopping with the program have noticed no alsq guests and a possible reduction in other guests.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, two key hotels which were among the first in Phuket to be approved by Bangkok have now decided to no longer operate as ALSQs while the ban on international tourists landing in Phuket remains in place.

I wonder they now perceive being an "ALSQ" is not in their best interest as it will stop the local domestic tourist from booking, and potentially cost them revenue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

About 20 Chinese taking surfing lessons at Kata beach, today. All tourists, according to the instructors. Part of the Tuesday arrivals? Who knows.

How, when did they arrive? Rhetorical.

Shouldn't they be in quarantine then? Did they wear bracelets?

I feel sorry for all of these hotels (or the staff and owners of all these hotels rather) working hard to comply with all the regulations for becoming approved for ASQ/ALSQ only to find out there are few to no guests. The cheaper options seem to get booked first.

I also find it weird that the hotels try to promote themselves as they always do. 

1. We have very nice facilities: infinity pool, relaxing spa, well-appointed gym, etc - none of which you can use
  2. We are located very centrally, near the shopping malls, near a park, near the BTS, etc - none of which you can use