Is the internet being throttled back in Thailand?

Grumpy John

9 minutes ago, whiteman said:

depends who your supplier is and what you pay for it

The wife says True Move and it's from the cable network.  We been paying the same amount the last 2 years...so what has that got to do with it?

Edited by Grumpy John
smelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Still getting comparable fiber speeds to Bangkok as I am to Los Angeles CA, USA.

I've only notices slowdowns on the Lazada shopping site, but that's down to Lazada being Lazada.

That's terrific!  I am 400km away in Phitsanulok province out in the stick at Nowhereville.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I am 400km away in Phitsanulok province out in the stick at Nowhereville.

Could just be local data infrastructure congestion or network issue. Doing speedtests should help pinpoint if/where the issue occurs. 

I Currently subscribe to both TOT Fiber and TRUE Fiber. Located in Chiang Rai (northern Thailand) and no issues in-country.

You can use the speed test Ookla to see what's happening. Strangely, while the speed on my desktop in the village ( Truemove ) is the same as my speed on my laptop in the condo ( CAT ), the laptop downloads a lot faster.

I get news stories from the Australian press covering what's happening in Bangkok. AFAIK there's no attempt to censor or modify them, and they are quite critical analyses.

I have noticed more program buffering over the last 2 weeks.

If you have a WiFi set up, adding 5g router transmission could help (that's if you have a 5g capable receiving device). My Beelink Android streaming box works better if the WiFi router used 5G as well as 2.4G.

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

The wife says True Move and it's from the cable network.  We been paying the same amount the last 2 years...so what has that got to do with it?

Although this is True Visions.

Honestly, at this point I wonder why and others just don’t pull the plug on for this nonsense (incl. a constant 5 min. delay) - or is the expat TV market still that going strong enough here…? #whatshappeninginthailand

true.jpg

1 hour ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Screenies below (apologies for the size - weren't that big when I uploaded them): 

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 7.58.01 pm.png

an FYI, double-clicking on the image before posting (or when going back and doing an edit) allows you to specify the size a graphic will initially appear when posted. A user reading your posted response can then click on the graphic or even right-click and open it in another window if they wish to zoom to original resolution.

//sorry for the threadjack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RichCor said:

An FYI to the OP of this 

Interestingly, my TOT Fiber connection just went down for about 20 minutes. Sometimes you just got to wonder if they're re-enabling the great firewall about now ...me having just found these threads:

Social media users violating emergency orders will be reported to police: ministry
webfact posted a topic in Thailand News

Police deny online crackdown despite moves against media outlets
snoop1130 posted a topic in Thailand News

Telegram targeted in media crackdown
snoop1130 posted a topic in Thailand News

...still, probably just a coincidence. I'm sure.

BTW, Grumpy John, if asked I'll say I don't know you, if that helps.

Thanks for the consideration!   I'll say I don't know you Either if that helps. But with the government spies on here and the internet surveillance team a lot of us are screwed any way if they ever have a crackdown. ???? 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling

There are lots of variables to do with internet speed, your ISP, your package, your location, the websites you are trying to access.

I dont see what purpose slowing down the internet would achieve in relation to protests etc. Blocking contact apps and sites etc would have an effect but just slowing things down wouldn't achieve much. 

• Like 2

Just now, Peterw42 said:

There are lots of variables to do with internet speed, your ISP, your package, your location, the websites you are trying to access.

I dont see what purpose slowing down the internet would achieve in relation to protests etc. Blocking contact apps and sites etc would have an effect but just slowing things down wouldn't achieve much. 

I am no expert on such matters.  I just put it out there for comment.  With the type of government we have and the current student protests I thought maybe the problem was deliberate.  Normally the only problem is outages that knockout the net altogether.  If the wifer could just get on the dog & bone with True and ask what is wrong we would have more information to work with! 

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

Still getting comparable fiber speeds to Bangkok as I am to Los Angeles CA, USA.

I've only notices slowdowns on the Lazada shopping site, but that's down to Lazada being Lazada.

My 3BB fiber (Bangkok) has been running normally.

Lazada seems to have made some changes on their site and mine has been balky as well.  Can't sign in the normal way. I have to go to the "Register" page, then click "log-in"

Also, can't review past orders beyond the first page.  Get "network error"

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Absolutely true.

As general as the topic title asks: NO.

About the blackout of BBC, AlJ. etc.: what can TrueVisions do about Thai censorship?

They are a Thai company and have to follow the rules.

If you want to be free: get a 3m motorized satellite dish on the roof.

I still haven't scrapped my 2.4m dish from 1997. Just in case all goes black.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, Grumpy John said:

They are doing an 'Apple' ( iphone etc). Deliberately slow it down to try to make you upgrade. Happened with our BBB. 2.4G, slowed. Changed to 5.G slowed again after a year. Now changed to AIS fibre. Better at the moment.

Found the same with my Samsung phone after last update. 

My older Amazon Kindle Tablets have done the same after updates.

The new business norm!! ????????????????????????????????

• Confused 2

On 10/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, Grumpy John said:

Maybe your hardware sucks. This isn't China where they block foreign or political websites. Sometime websites becomes slow because of many users or slow servers. It even happens here at TVF sometime when many members are logged in at the same time. 

10 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Maybe that’s the problem 

I am out in the sticks with 3BB fiber (1000/500).

My internet is about a 100 times faster than a friend's in Jomtien in his condo bound to some archaic ToT DSL or so.

6 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Happened with our BBB. 2.4G, slowed. Changed to 5.G slowed again after a year.

Very confusing statement. To measure the speed of your internet connect PC/notebook via cable to the router. You have ONE internet connection to the router.

What happens on the two WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) and your mobiles is yet another story.

On current WiFi you can not achieve/measure the top speeds (500 or 1000)that are offered on fiber anyway.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Chris.B said:

We are on 3BB and for the last 3 days our internet reception has been poor. Last Saturday night our AIS mobile internet wasn't too good as well. Is it the weather or something more?

It's always worth mentioning your approximate location/area and what 3BB package you have.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe your hardware sucks. This isn't China where they block foreign or political websites. Sometime websites becomes slow because of many users or slow servers. It even happens here at TVF sometime when many members are logged in at the same time. 

Yes they do. The Daily Mail website was blocked in Thailand for years. Now blocked on TVF.