Opening a savings account

I agree with the above, it can vary branch to branch and even staff to staff.

You're not helped by your US passport, sadly many banks don't want to deal with rigours of the FATCA requirements (to be honest I can't blame them).

Even though I'm a Brit SCB present me with a FATCA form whenever I try to do almost anything other than put money in or take it out. At least it shows that they are willing to deal with our friends from across The Pond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

If you live here for long (with a Thabian Baan) perhaps you already have a bank account that it would help you to open a new savings.  

Then why would he ask about opening an account if he'd done it before? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, DanFromHawaii said:

Which bank will open a savings account with internet banking for me with only: 

1. USA passport without further certification from the US Embassy

2. A valid Tabian Baan (yellow book) 

Since you've obtained a yellow book, I image you have a long-term visa, my guess would be retirement.

If so, you can try any of the large non-government banks near you (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, SCB, Krungsri, UOB, etc.). Since you're American, they'll also ask for your SSN for FATCA compliance. Maybe someone will clarify which banks accept US citizens.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Then why would he ask about opening an account if he'd done it before? 

How did he get a TB and have no bank account in Thailand ? Unless he moves backward. I have no clue, but if it makes sense to you perhaps you can tell me why !!! ????????????????

Edited by The Theory

19 hours ago, redpill17 said:

Since you've obtained a yellow book, I image you have a long-term visa, my guess would be retirement.

If so, you can try any of the large non-government banks near you (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, SCB, Krungsri, UOB, etc.). Since you're American, they'll also ask for your SSN for FATCA compliance. Maybe someone will clarify which banks accept US citizens.

You can have a yellow book without a longterm visa. I did my yellow book with only a visa excempt stamp! This was about 4 years ago.

17 hours ago, The Theory said:

How did he get a TB and have no bank account in Thailand ? Unless he moves backward. I have no clue, but if it makes sense to you perhaps you can tell me why !!! ????????????????

Maybe he closed his account already which he used to obtain a TB. Or there was a missunderstanding

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

You can have a yellow book without a longterm visa. I did my yellow book with only a visa excempt stamp! This was about 4 years ago.

Which province, if I may ask? Did you need a rental contract? Thanks.

I just can't imagine someone living here with tabien baan, but not having a bank account. Normally, long-term lease or property ownership is needed to get TB, as people reported here.

1 hour ago, redpill17 said:

Which province, if I may ask? Did you need a rental contract? Thanks.

I just can't imagine someone living here with tabien baan, but not having a bank account. Normally, long-term lease or property ownership is needed to get TB, as people reported here.

For my case it was Bangkok (Klongsan), but I was not renting it, I had bought it.

• Like 1