Neighbours bathroom is leaking on our wall. What can we do if they dont co-operate?

We live in a building and next door there are some thai people  (tenants) who run their business and live in their building. Months ago I asked if they have any leaks from rain and he said yes. 

1 week ago I walked up the stairs and noticed bubbles on the horizontal beam and today I scraped one open and water came out. I decided to drill a hole in the top and dig a bit deeper as indicated in the 3rd photo. It felt damp. One hour later I looked at it again and water had accumulated - refer to blue arrow area. 

We think its got to be the neighbours bathroom or shower room. 

My relations with the neighbour have not been so good lately - it started since we moved in. It was a petty issue which I will not go into but I had to stand my ground on this matter as a matter of principle. Subsequently he now avoids eye contact/ greetings. His wife is still normal and mostly friendly. I am suspicious that this problem just started 1 week ago based on the small issue that re-occurred 2 weeks ago with the guy. My wife tells me to think positive....

If they don't allow access to fix the problem what recourse do we have exactly? I would have to try and find out who the landlord is. The problem is 100% a result of something on their side because we dont have any bathrooms or toilets on that wall. 

In worst case scenario what can we do legally to solve the problem if the landlord also doesnt want to spend money to fix it?

My wife will go and speak to them. But Im still interested to know what we can do if they dont co-operate. I speculate that if this problem isnt sorted quickly it could cause structural damage to both properties. Later this afternoon I noticed that the water is now traveling down the wall to the level below. 

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

• Haha 1

I have noted that you regularly come with such questions. Almost all are  about  water issues and  neighbor issues involving a  multi level building I think I recall is  40 years old.

It's a lemon ! The roofing  arrangement is a disaster and probably  the  core of  many issues  but  also not  so difficult  or  costly  to  remedy.

Consider also the possibility  that water pipes if  incorporated inside the structure  are  leaking.  I have seen two  such buildings where that is the  reality and if in your situation the only option is to  isolate and  surface mount a new system at relative low  cost or spend a  fortune embedding it  if that is your desire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

It was a petty issue which I will not go into but I had to stand my ground on this matter as a matter of principle.

That's how so many tragic stories start in Thailand.  And other parts of the world...

Ask your wife to handle it if you've poisoned your relationship with the neighbors and she hasn't.  As with much of life, the mechanical part of the solution is easy.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 12:44 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

I have noted that you regularly come with such questions. Almost all are  about  water issues and  neighbor issues involving a  multi level building I think I recall is  40 years old.

It's a lemon ! The roofing  arrangement is a disaster and probably  the  core of  many issues  but  also not  so difficult  or  costly  to  remedy.

Consider also the possibility  that water pipes if  incorporated inside the structure  are  leaking.  I have seen two  such buildings where that is the  reality and if in your situation the only option is to  isolate and  surface mount a new system at relative low  cost or spend a  fortune embedding it  if that is your desire.

If it's a lemon building (pic with blue arrow an example) there's risk of many issues/problems for decades and possibly big cost. Why not sell the property for the best price you can get and move on, learn a lesson and do much better inspections next time. 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, bbabythai said:

but I had to stand my ground on this matter as a matter of principle. Subsequently he now avoids eye contact/ greetings.

GOOD!!!  Take pride in yourself.  A backbone is good.  Be strong.  Don't be weak.  You should be respected.  You worked your whole life, don't be a sheep.  Don't let just anyone walk over you...

oh wait...

This is Thailand and you will NEVER be Thai.  You signed up for this.  You will pay for everything.  It's all your fault.  Give them money and apologize.  Wai and prostrate.  You are dumb farang.  

don't like their rules in their country, leave.  

This is why I won't retire here.  But I rent so who cares!!!  lol

Cut back concrete / cement a lot, lay a waterproof membrane, ie heavy duty plastic and re-cement concrete with a waterproof basis ie Concrete cement stabiliser  (Can be bought on line).

As previously stated push the issue back to there side, (I've done this several times)

Edited by Paul DS

The wife visited them today and they were ok for us to fix it. We took our pipe fixer guy to take a look. They had leaking pipes and an old pump. They spent 1 hour or more fixing it. Did some silicon job and will see if it works tomorrow. I paid the 1000 bill. Its in my interest to get this <deleted>t sorted. He was a good guy today. All is ok.

9 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

The wife visited them today and they were ok for us to fix it. We took our pipe fixer guy to take a look. They had leaking pipes and an old pump. They spent 1 hour or more fixing it. Did some silicon job and will see if it works tomorrow. I paid the 1000 bill. Its in my interest to get this <deleted>t sorted. He was a good guy today. All is ok.

1000 baht is like $45AUD .....  I mean even if the bill was 2-3000 it's a pittance and you got it fixed.  good result anyway. 

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1