Is there ever a reply from 1178 (Bangkok immigration)?

What do you hope to achieve? Even if they answer and do give you their view, it might be different from YOUR immigration officer's view. Telling them that you called 1178 and they told you something different won't get you anywhere. It's a waste of time IMHO - if you want to know something, ask YOUR immigration officer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to ask them whether or not I can get the date of my regular tourist visa extension, which expires on 26 October, changed to 30 November at MTT but they clearly wouldn't have a clue so I'll have to get a taxi all the way there instead.

BTS train goes all the way to Wat Phra Si Mahathat (end of line), you can take a taxi from there to MTT.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I called the 1178 number once in late 2019 asking about the new medical insurance requirement for folks who had an OA Visa underpinning their retirement extension of stay.   That 1178 number is manned by immigration representatives (usually younger ones who are hired because they speak English pretty good) who have a general knowledge of key issues, but not any detailed knowledge.

Anyway, I was given the wrong information when finally talking to a 1178 rep.  But the rep did give me a couple phone numbers to CW/Bangkok Immigration where they recommended I talk to an immigration officer....called the numbers....no one ever answered which I was expecting.

Example of wrong information: I called 1178, after perhaps 5 calls and much waiting and transferring then hang up I did speak to a girl who spoke good English. I asked if I could speak to an officer in regard to Permanent Residence (PR) holders returning to Thailand.

She asked me to explain more about PR which I did and also mentioned it's often referred to as a Certificate of Residence. Her eventual response 'cannot transfer you because there is no such thing in Thailand, bye'. 

I've called Chaeng Wattana, they tell me to call 1178. Thai Embassy won't engage in the discussion and say they have no idea who I should speak to in Thailand, I called Chiang Mai immigration, obvious they don't want to comment. They did tell me to get the search for a list of the main offices of the Immigration Divisions and send an e.mail to the e.mail address listed for Division 1.

I did send an e.mail, after 7 days no answer so I sent it again, that's now 10 days ago, still no response. The list included a phone no., I've called that number several times every day for close to 3 weeks. It rings but never answered. 

I also called the tel., number listed for division 2 and 3, never answered. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Example of wrong information: I called 1178, after perhaps 5 calls and much waiting and transferring then hang up I did speak to a girl who spoke good English. I asked if I could speak to an officer in regard to Permanent Residence (PR) holders returning to Thailand.

She asked me to explain more about PR which I did and also mentioned it's often referred to as a Certificate of Residence. Her eventual response 'cannot transfer you because there is no such thing in Thailand, bye'. 

I've called Chaeng Wattana, they tell me to call 1178. Thai Embassy won't engage in the discussion and say they have no idea who I should speak to in Thailand, I called Chiang Mai immigration, obvious they don't want to comment. They did tell me to get the search for a list of the main offices of the Immigration Divisions and send an e.mail to the e.mail address listed for Division 1.

I did send an e.mail, after 7 days no answer so I sent it again, that's now 10 days ago, still no response. The list included a phone no., I've called that number several times every day for close to 3 weeks. It rings but never answered. 

I also called the tel., number listed for division 2 and 3, never answered. 

After reading your post I'm also confused what you are actually talking about, now taking into account the language barrier it doesn't surprise me that you didn't achieve the desired result.

If you tell an IO "Certificate of Residence" in nearly every case he will think about the address confirmation document used for getting a driving license or registering a vehicle.

Immigration is only responsible if you are at the border checkpoint (or in the country), everything before this is done by the MFA. If you want to ask anything related to getting back to Thailand you have to ask your local Thai embassy, and if they are useless you can try contacting the MFA in Thailand, there is no point in calling immigration.

Edited by jackdd

55 minutes ago, jackdd said:

After reading your post I'm also confused what you are actually talking about, now taking into account the language barrier it doesn't surprise me that you didn't achieve the desired result.

If you tell an IO "Certificate of Residence" in nearly every case he will think about the address confirmation document used for getting a driving license or registering a vehicle.

Immigration is only responsible if you are at the border checkpoint (or in the country), everything before this is done by the MFA. If you want to ask anything related to getting back to Thailand you have to ask your local Thai embassy, and if they are useless you can try contacting the MFA in Thailand, there is no point in calling immigration.

Thanks, I well understand your points. In fact the lady I spoke to did speak quite good English.

With the other usage of certificate of Residence (letter quoting address for drivers' license purposes etc., in mind I explained further and I'm confident she did understand. She probably was quite young and possibly (not sure) wasn't very knowledgeable about visas etc etc.

I have approached the Thai Embassy in Canberra and the large consulate in Sydney by e.mail and by phone, they say they don't strongly understand many points about visas and certainly not about PR and can't comment or suggest who to contact.

I have called the MFA on Sri Ayuthaya Rd in Bkk, perfect English (no language difficulties), they told me to call/contact The Thai Immigration Bureau.

An old colleague is sending me a document this evening, I'll read that then (as suggested by yourself and my old colleague) tomorrow I'll try the MFA again. 

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, I well understand your points. In fact the lady I spoke to did speak quite good English.

The only time I've used the number before I also got the impression that the young guy I spoke to had good English but not a good knowledge of immigration matters. In fact, I wanted to know if it was necessary to have a full blank page in my passport to get an extension and he advised me to go to the THAI passport office to get more pages put in my BRITISH passport!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

In fact, I wanted to know if it was necessary to have a full blank page in my passport to get an extension and he advised me to go to the THAI passport office to get more pages put in my BRITISH passport!

While that's a hilarious answer, I think that's a good example for a question you shouldn't ask the hotline as whatever they say will not really be helpful. Ultimately it's up to the IO who will (or won't) stamp your passport and nothing the hotline might tell you would change that.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like you're better off calling Pizza Hut 1150 ask them and at least you get something useful out of it, maybe the right answer and a pizza

A long time ago, I forgot the phone number for the tourist police. I ended up calling the Pizza Company who, after a bit of initial confusion, actually transferred me to the correct number. Great service ????

Edited by 2530Ubon