STV Application - Alternative to proof of no criminal record

One of the eligibility of the Thai embassy states as follows, I can't wait to get a report from both my country of citizenship and my current country of residence. It will takes 2 months! 

Does a statutory declaration works? I was asked by my lawyer all kinds of law jargons which I am not able to understand. The troubling part is affirm my declaration to who? To a Commissioning of Oath or the Notary Public? How would the embassy use this SD?

1.3 Applicant must have no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant's nationality and residence

Edited by daqx07

OP, I did notice that Clause 1.3 in the Singapore Thai Embassy website as well. Interestingly, even though it's mentioned that an applicant shouldn't have a criminal record in Thailand & country of residence - they also did not mention that you have to provide any specific documents evidencing such.

I can't imagine one would have to provide a document for that as for Clause 1.4, it would mean one would have to provide Syphilis/TB/leprosy/Elephantiasis test results as well!

255444118_Screenshot2020-10-20at1_06_40PM.png.c87ae1010b7b85b308de219909b1cd81.png

5 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

OP, I did notice that Clause 1.3 in the Singapore Thai Embassy website as well. Interestingly, even though it's mentioned that an applicant shouldn't have a criminal record in Thailand & country of residence - they also did not mention that you have to provide any specific documents evidencing such.

I can't imagine one would have to provide a document for that as for Clause 1.4, it would mean one would have to provide Syphilis/TB/leprosy/Elephantiasis test results as well!

255444118_Screenshot2020-10-20at1_06_40PM.png.c87ae1010b7b85b308de219909b1cd81.png

You can download the medical certificate from every Thai Embassy website where they issue the O-A Long-stay Visa. 

5ilverthat's the confusing part. I am making sure my application won't be delayed by any chance, I have to make all and every confirmed bookings including ASQ, whatever insurances needed, a confirmed air ticket in my visa application. You can imagine the downstream impact if the visa application is not granted, or just filed in their in-tray for the longest time. Checked and confirmed with a call to the embassy, it's also stated clearly in the embassy's website too. 

Well, I just came back from clinic to certify that I don't have those diseases. The GP looked at me, possibly thinking which era we're in now, what kind of archaic document he was about to sign. I can only smile for on behalf of the Land of Simile.

Edited by daqx07
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the update @daqx07, these shared learnings are really helpful for all of us seeking that holy grail...

I reckon you are applying via the Thai embassy in Singapore? In this case would a so-called "Certificate of Clearance" from the local police dept in Singapore suffice? I'm assuming you're a resident in Singapore, since only local residents can apply for the STV via the Thai embassy there.

Well you can understand them not wanting anymore crooks or corrupt people in the LOS, more than their fair share already, it is so wonderful not having to deal with Thai immigration except for the odd holiday. 

• Like 1

I just realized there's one more piece of the puzzle daqx07 - for someone applying for the STV & COE via the Thai embassy in Singapore. A pre-departure negative COVID test is standard for the COE, but it seems at the moment access to tests are still restricted in Singapore. One would need to apply separately to the Singapore authorities to be approved to access an RT-PCR test from a clinic and this seems to be reserved for essential business travel with a select group of countries. With the STV being a tourist visa to Thailand which isn't an official "travel bubble route", wonder if this may throw a spanner in the works?

5ilver, i am not sure though. Some of us that I know, is about to submit an STV application. We're coming to it. 

I think we will fit in the last category, others. Will update here. 

d. Travel related to education, compassionate reasons, or otherwise – the Ministry of Health by completing this form. Successful applicants will be notified via the email registered in this form.

@5ilver An update, it's (d) category that was selected and submitted a request to do pre-departure test, stated reason as STV, and it was approved within hours by the Ministry. Go to any clinic to do pre-departure test, collect all necessary documents, and to the airport.

Thai embassy Singapore has just today if i am not wrong, tweaked the requirements. Added more AND OR clauses, even more stringent to fulfil a STV. 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:08 AM, 5ilver said:

My Uk doctor would not sign. I used my Thai Doctor to issue this. Because of prior illness I have regular doctor in Thailand. Its a stupid requirement I think as well.  

On 10/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, daqx07 said:

@5ilver An update, it's (d) category that was selected and submitted a request to do pre-departure test, stated reason as STV, and it was approved within hours by the Ministry. Go to any clinic to do pre-departure test, collect all necessary documents, and to the airport.

Thai embassy Singapore has just today if i am not wrong, tweaked the requirements. Added more AND OR clauses, even more stringent to fulfil a STV. 

Thanks for taking the time to update @daqx07, really glad to hear you got the approval from the Ministry so swiftly.

Did you simply state "travelling under STV" as the reason, or do we have to rationalise why are travelling to Thailand in the first place? And did you attach any additional supporting documents with the request?

And yes I just checked the Singapore Thai Embassy website, and it seems they now require post-ASQ accommodation to be fully paid upfront (unless one owns a property there) for the duration of stay, on top of proof of finances.

@5ilver yes, just STV. You might want to be cautious on the wordings though, traveling against a governmental advisory is sinful ( to some ). Only an airline ticket is attached.

yup, gotta read the long list of the things they wanted as if it's an examination. It's a careless write-up, messy indentation and poorly worded.  

• 2 weeks later...

Good day @daqx07, hope everything is going smoothly on your end with the STV processing. I was wondering if you could share which provider you went with to fulfil the health insurance requirement for inpatient 400K / outpatient 40K?

I've made a number of enquiries and a significant group of insurers are have yet to update their plans for the STV. Basically they are relying on the O-A visa requirements and despite the STV being open to all ages - these insurers are restricting their plans to the same age bands of the O-A visa (i.e. 50 and above). And I was told I can't apply for the policies as I don't meet the age band!

The whole shebang is quite the dog's breakfast...