Anyone with new model Honda Forza?

I am considering the latest Forza 350. Anyone have it yet? Not many around. It seems there were some minor improvements, but other than the power train, similar to the 2019 Forza 300. Any owners of either here, who can share their thoughts about the ride and especially the suspension? I hated the old model Forza. Terrible ride. Like a river barge. But, the new bike looks totally redesigned. Thanks. 

You hated the old model...!! Really... I love the old model... it's low to the ground and rides wonderful with a nice big and wide seat! Ask yourself why the old model has suddenly jumped up in price...? Demand is the reason...demand for a well maintained bike? Why was the new model not selling? Why did Honda have to put in a bigger engine? The only thing I like about the new Forza are the gadgets and now I guess the new power...what I don't like is it's too high to the ground...for me that's a big factor!

Edited by gillap
Spelling
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gillap said:

You hated the old model...!! Really... I love the old model... it's low to the ground and rides wonderful with a nice big and wide seat! Ask yourself why the old model has suddenly jumped up in price...? Demand is the reason...demand for a well maintained bike? Why was the new model not selling? Why did Honda have to put in a bigger engine? The only thing I like about the new Forza are the gadgets and now I guess the new power...what I don't like is it's too high to the ground...for me that's a big factor!

Is correct the higher you are the less you have stability and safety, I really don't understand these engineers who make these projects, it's probably just the marketing directions that prevail at the expense of intelligence

First thing to do if you own the Mk1 Forza is throw a set of YSS adjustable shocks on rear, once set up to suit you bike becomes super comfortable and handles great (yes old model is a bit bulky/Barge like looking however it handles and rides far better than it looks) Mines a 2013 and I still enjoy all the benefits it gives me, whether around town or a roadtrip, solo or with pillion it does all I need, Im a fat ar$e at +16 stone, I dont need anymore than the 300cc I have, plenty power/fast enough for Thai road conditions, oh and 2nd thing to do is get Pirellies on when tyres due - Jobs a Good un!

New Forza bit long in leg for me and yes it looks nice but I just prefer to keep my old one as is a great bike (Phuket based Forza owner)

The newer forzas ride more like a proper motorcycle.  I ride mine as much as  time permits.  About 30,000 kilometers per year. Touring weeks at a time. Very comfortable for my wife and I. It is fitted with a top box and side boxes for when touring. I put off buying a big bike due to the fact the forza does all a big bike does, but yet can ride it on  a daily basis.  I'm holding off getting the new 350 because an ADV 350 is coming next year. And will decide which one to get. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, spidermike007 said:

I am considering the latest Forza 350. Anyone have it yet? Not many around. It seems there were some minor improvements, but other than the power train, similar to the 2019 Forza 300. Any owners of either here, who can share their thoughts about the ride and especially the suspension? I hated the old model Forza. Terrible ride. Like a river barge. But, the new bike looks totally redesigned. Thanks. 

I have the new 350, just traded in my 18 300 for it. I had done 40km+ on the older one so thought I would upgrade.

Has a new engine and transmission, radiator is at the front now, bigger air box and body work has changed slightly to allow more air into the engine. Everything else is the same. Suspension is OK, it is budget but not too budget. 

Overall, has more pull, not crazy amount more but it is noticeable and a higher top speed. The downside? Comes with IRC tires which are OK but noisy and just not as good as Pirellis. 

Worth the price if you are buying new, or upgrading from the 18 model if you have put a lot of KMs on it. I use mine for commuting and other bikes for the weekend rides. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I have the new 350, just traded in my 18 300 for it. I had done 40km+ on the older one so thought I would upgrade.

Has a new engine and transmission, radiator is at the front now, bigger air box and body work has changed slightly to allow more air into the engine. Everything else is the same. Suspension is OK, it is budget but not too budget. 

Overall, has more pull, not crazy amount more but it is noticeable and a higher top speed. The downside? Comes with IRC tires which are OK but noisy and just not as good as Pirellis. 

Worth the price if you are buying new, or upgrading from the 18 model if you have put a lot of KMs on it. I use mine for commuting and other bikes for the weekend rides. 

Nice. Yeah, I like the look of it, and the instrumentation. Would change tires, first thing, to Michelin or Pirelli. And the handling? Has it improved markedly since the river barge days of the old style Forza? 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Nice. Yeah, I like the look of it, and the instrumentation. Would change tires, first thing, to Michelin or Pirelli. And the handling? Has it improved markedly since the river barge days of the old style Forza? 

both the 2018 Forza and the new 350 are better handling. They are more stable and less flex when cornering hard on them. I used to have the older Forza too, it was decent, but not a patch on these new ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 7:23 AM, gillap said:

Short, stubby legs?

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, Lokie said:

First thing to do if you own the Mk1 Forza is throw a set of YSS adjustable shocks on rear, once set up to suit you bike becomes super comfortable and handles great (yes old model is a bit bulky/Barge like looking however it handles and rides far better than it looks) Mines a 2013 and I still enjoy all the benefits it gives me, whether around town or a roadtrip, solo or with pillion it does all I need, Im a fat ar$e at +16 stone, I dont need anymore than the 300cc I have, plenty power/fast enough for Thai road conditions, oh and 2nd thing to do is get Pirellies on when tyres due - Jobs a Good un!

New Forza bit long in leg for me and yes it looks nice but I just prefer to keep my old one as is a great bike (Phuket based Forza owner)

I'll have a pint of whatever he's on ......

I have the old model, I put the back shock preload to stiffest/hardest , whatever you want to call it , and with Pirelli Angel Scooters tires it is much better on the corners now, almost no wobble at all, handles great...

My biggest complain was/is with clutch on the back of CVT that I changed to aftermarket (shoes and bell) which is way better than OEM, but the new 350 model has 5 clutch shoes as oppose to 3, so I guess it will help but have to wait for reports, the clutch stutter usually starts after 6k/7k km...

The price for new model 300 (2018+) has really collapsed, you can now pick up really cheap almost new ones, equivalent Xmax is still way more expensive - no idea if it's that much better...!

15 hours ago, Agusts said:

but the new 350 model has 5 clutch shoes as oppose to 3,

Unless the drum is bigger Ie. larger surface area I don't see how that helps. Of course the drum might be wider?

On the plus side just like the front drum brakes of old with a bit of effort and felting you can get single pivot shoes to work quite well. One can even do a stoppie on and old Lambretta with  front drum brake. So same technique works for clutches.

Dr. Pulley HiT clutch if you want aftermarket. It still needs some tinkering to get exactly what the rider needs.

There's a Yamaha dealer in the main street of Phichit and I was in there to get some parts for the Suzuki...they sell Suzuki too!  I saw the X-Max and wandered over to have a closer look which must have turned on my babe magnet.  As quick as a wink she of the smiling sales force with little English was by my side to answer my every question...and the first was do you have a demo model I can take for a spin...to which no verbal answer came forth but the look on her face was not at the amazingly handsome falang standing in front of her but due to the fact I was using a phrase she is unfamiliar with.  "do you have a demo model I can take for a spin " doesn't seem to be in the Thai vocabulary!  So I asked the wife to ask if they had a test model...and the reply was No.   My next question I got the wife to ask, which was "You want me to drop 180.000 baht on a scooter without test riding it?"  She did ask as I know enough words in Thai to understand.  That's when she suggested I talk to the manager........

Next week when I am over there (Phichit) I will head down the other end of main st and go to the Honda Dealer to see if they have a 300 or 350 ADV which in 150 size I find more visually appealing than the PCX, Forza or X-Max.  Lets hope they have a demo model!

18 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Or get a Reveno dry clutch, noisy as hell, but no stutter...!

I'm told old Ducati bikes had this...

Reveno is a track clutch. They have very high wear rates, compared to conventional drum and shoe clutches.

Sorry about the duplicate post above sometimes I click quote not edit and then the PC has a mind of its own.

Edited by VocalNeal

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Reveno is a multiple disk and plate clutch for track use. They reportedly have very high wear rates, compared to conventional drum and shoe clutches. 

I suppose it depends how much maintenance one wished to do long term.

Sorry about the duplicate post above sometimes I click quote not edit and then the PC has a mind of its own.

16 hours ago, Agusts said:

I have the old model, I put the back shock preload to stiffest/hardest , whatever you want to call it

I would call it "to its max" as it doesn't make the shock stiffer or harder. It affects sag and the geometry of the bike.

https://lifeatlean.com/teach-me-suspension-everything-preload/

49 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Or get a Reveno dry clutch, noisy as hell, but no stutter...!

I'm told old Ducati bikes had this...

Yes Ducati was known for using dry clutches for much longer than other manufacturers. But even now you can get a brand new Panigale V4R with dry clutch. Dry clutches give a tiny bit more power as the losses from the oil friction are not there. Very noisy and usually not so nice to modulate as a wet clutch.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I would call it "to its max" as it doesn't make the shock stiffer or harder. It affects sag and the geometry of the bike.

https://lifeatlean.com/teach-me-suspension-everything-preload/

I think you have mentioned this before, but many people call it that way...

Nice article, very technical about sport bikes, I wonder how much of that actually translates into a back heavy Maxi scooter, that's the part of effects between front and back etc... .

One thing I didn't understand is it assumes springs have linear resistant, I'm not sure..., it says if put 1kg on a spring it is squeezed by 1mm, if 10kg, 10mm...! ? I would have thought springs are not that linear ..., as they are squeezed more they resist more and need more force...!

58 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I think you have mentioned this before, but many people call it that way...

Nice article, very technical about sport bikes, I wonder how much of that actually translates into a back heavy Maxi scooter, that's the part of effects between front and back etc... .

One thing I didn't understand is it assumes springs have linear resistant, I'm not sure..., it says if put 1kg on a spring it is squeezed by 1mm, if 10kg, 10mm...! ? I would have thought springs are not that linear ..., as they are squeezed more they resist more and need more force...!

Yea I've mentioned it before and most people don't understand how suspensions work. And to be honest it took me a while too and there's a lot more to it also.

Most springs are linear I think but I don't have hard numbers on this. The feeling that they are not linear comes probably from the fact that it indeed does take more and more force to squeeze it further. But that increase is linear. I guess it feels more than twice as hard to excert twice the force.

There are progressive springs but it's a trade-off as hard hits will feel harder but soft hits softer and if one doesn't have a really well fitting spring rate for the given riders weight then one can compress a lot of the softer part already just by sitting on the bike. They also don't work so well if you sometimes take a pillion.

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yes Ducati was known for using dry clutches for much longer than other manufacturers. But even now you can get a brand new Panigale V4R with dry clutch. Dry clutches give a tiny bit more power as the losses from the oil friction are not there. Very noisy and usually not so nice to modulate as a wet clutch.

But Ducati multi plate clutches uses springs to maintain their grip whereas Revono has to rely on the force created by the centrifugal force generated by it rotation.  it is not exactly the same. The Revono cannot be modulated . The Revono clutch has to slip more as a function of the CVT not having the range of ratios that a manual transmission has.

Revono is a track clutch not a touring clutch.

Install one if you want but the plates do wear quicker than, say, a Ducati.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ended up with the new 350. Great bike. Handles well. Very nice looking. Markedly better than the older river barges. Suspension seems good. If I were to upgrade the suspension, I would go with Olin, as YSS is not much of a step up. But will not spend 35-40,000 on suspension. 

Looking to change the tires. Stock tires do not have much grip. Anyone have a recommendation between the Honda City Grip 2 (seems nearly impossible to find at the moment) or the Pirelli Angels? Those seem to be the only two that fit? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1