Protests

Gandtee

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You blackmail her then, you support her so she has to do what you want, disgraceful let her decide for herself.

Normaly i don't much get involved my wife's desitions whitch concern thai way of life! But i agree her, don't want see all "investment" going ruin coz young adult is stupid! And my wife is coverment officer so she have to think her own position also! Like she that or not!

• Like 2

We live in Issan so that should give you a flavor of the thinking. The wife doesn't like the government but doesn't talk about it. On the other hand I am yak yaking about it frequently. When I do my morning run around the village water source which has a high school next to it I give my 3 finger salute. ????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was with my misses family yesterday (police) they muttered something about Prayut, and I said I thought he was doing a great job and how I enjoyed being here ........... they all laughed.

Not my business, I don't really care who's in charge, he's not worse than the people running my country (UK), or the guy running the USA, or Canada or France or Australia/NZ as far as I can see they're all pretty useless and annoying in different ways while lining their own pockets.

My kid just finishing University keeps out of it as well, no money to be made from making waves.

I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem you see appears to be a nail. 

Edited by b17

My wife's a royalist so I have to be a little bit careful regarding what I say. She still in part agrees with the students but any longer discussions lead to her getting upset about her country. 

It's interesting at work also. The tension is as clear as around the time of the coup. The only difference being the yellows were rubbing it in back then. Shoe on the other foot and the reds in our office have been more respectful of their peers.

13 minutes ago, polpott said:

My wife and her friends are all from Issan and are politically the same. They speak very candidly about the current situation at home. However, we were walking through Central Mall in pattaya yesterday, behind a police officer. I gave him the 3 fingered salute behind his back and my wife and her friend were terrified. Dissent isn't the same here as in the UK.

Stupid you! What did that achieve? 

Edited by Olmate
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I dont think English is his first language, anyway is it that important? 

The thinking errors are important, and clear thinking is often matched by clear writing. Without a bit of care in the presentation of your ideas, others may easily misunderstand both your message and intentions. Would you comment on a Thai language bulletin board if you had very limited command of the language? I might try, but would show it to a native speaker before sending it. 

• Sad 2

Just now, b17 said:

The thinking errors are important, and clear thinking is often matched by clear writing. Without a bit of care in the presentation of your ideas, others may easily misunderstand both your message and intentions. Would you comment on a Thai language bulletin board if you had very limited command of the language? I might try, but would show it to a native speaker before sending it. 

You think too mutt. 555

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

I'd survive it, have done many times before. First slap I got from a policeman was when I was 12, if you don't include the serious manhandling I got when I was 8.

Slow learner then . Best to avoid finger salutes to police in full view of Central cameras tho . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Slow learner then . Best to avoid finger salutes to police in full view of Central cameras tho . 

Never learn, me. Seriously though, I wouldn't do it again due to the upset it caused my wife and her friend.

• Like 2

My wife, her family and ALL of her friends utterly despise Prayuth, the army, this administration and all that the protests stand for. Sorry. But, you are married to a dinosaur. May progressive minds prevail. Things are changing. And it is long long overdue. 

• Like 2

My GF thinks Prayut is a criminal, I suspect most of Northern Thailand thinks the same way. I don't try to influence her views on politics here, none of my business.

IMO Prayut is between a rock and a hard place. If he uses force, he screws up the tourist economy even further. If he plays nice, the protests will only get bigger.

When I took my GF to Australia,  she saw how huge and uninhabited Australia is. She saw a lot of other differences too ( where are the police? ) , and I think it changed the perception held by many Thais their country is the centre of the universe.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Disagree, tourism is dead for at least the next year, he could kill them all and nobody would notice.

You may be right, depends on how many potential tourists have longer memories. However, he'd also be giving up any pretense of being a democratic government, and that could have ramifications as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right, depends on how many potential tourists have longer memories. However, he'd also be giving up any pretense of being a democratic government, and that could have ramifications as well.

I think he'll totally lose his patience and start shooting.

Then it'll be total repression or total rebellion.

I have no idea who would win.

Best not to be living in any major population center when it kicks off.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think he'll totally lose his patience and start shooting.

Then it'll be total repression or total rebellion.

I have no idea who would win.

Best not to be living in any major population center when it kicks off.

I'd be worried if I was in Bangkok, not so much in Chiang Rai.

• Like 1