Protests

Gandtee

23 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Their standard of living would be on a par with many parts of Europe.

I take it you mean for the Thai people and not the expats or retirees,, as far as the UK part of Europe is concerned, the government is probably as corrupt as the Thai government, and I also mean the times between coups.

The big difference is that the UK government is much more educated, and so have the brains to fill their pockets through corruption without being open about it. 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Gandtee said:

Any comment or discussion on the present student protests is strictly taboo between my wife and I. We have agreed not to get into it to maintain a quiet life. For her, after a lifetime of indoctrination it must be very difficult to listen and accept differing views. Any others out there following the same policy? 

Wife and Family were 'yellow shirts' in the last one, now they're hoping for regime change.

Though, wife did say if it goes to <deleted>, will we have issues getting her nieces out of the country, as there is real concern the country is going to turn into a full blown authoritarian <deleted> show i guess.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'd be worried if I was in Bangkok, not so much in Chiang Rai.

Do you often stay close to the Victory Monument when you're in BKK? That's where you'll find the protesters. So, why worry about going to BKK or even stay there? Do you even know where the Victory Monument is located in BKK? 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They preferred the oldest sister. 

Oddly the same, I did get asked why my country allows woman, i said because we believe in equality, and in our country x is equal to the man on the street, we got that through beheading x. 

There was a weird smile on their face at that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Do you often stay close to the Victory Monument when you're in BKK? That's where you'll find the protesters. So, why worry about going to BKK or even stay there? Do you even know where the Victory Monument is located in BKK? 

I always visit MBK when in Bangkok, my favourite restaurant, a hidden gem, is in MBK. Just one stop up from Victory Monument.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, samtab said:

Discuss with a Thai ???? 555

Only my 23 years old KIK understands what's happening and supports democracy.

Older Thai all are pure idiots.

She would be to young to realize that Thais cannot do democracy .

Whether its the Reds or Yellows governing , the other side will be out on the streets bringing the Country to a standstill  

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Your post is false as an absolute.

Below is where they were a few days ago they move around.  And, the BTS and MRT have been shut down several times due to their movements.

1. Lat Phrao Intersection
2. Wongwian Yai
3. Udomsuk marching to Bangna intersection
4. BTS Asoke
5. Sam Yan Mitr Town

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, Antonymous said:

My wife can't stand the current regime and we have many discussions about it in private. She gets very upset about the Deleted, but is super reluctant to talk publicly about what she knows is going on. She tells me that nearly all her old school friends, who she keeps in touch with online, are monarchists and against the protesters.

Yesterday we were sitting on the terrace and I tuned into a video (published outside Thailand) that showed live footage of the royal motorcade and the protesters in Bangkok shouting at the passing limo. She got in a panic and told me to turn the sound down in case the neighbours heard it. That's how worried she is, as if the walls have ears. But I laughed at her. Then Alexa laughed, Cortana and Siri joined in. We all had a good laugh....

The protesters are brave folk. Most Thai people are too afraid to speak out, in any medium.

As per your last comment - not so. Go on social media, and the picture is pretty much reversed. A lot of outspoken commentary, and quite a bit of harassment directed at those not supporting (or seen as such) by them 'netizens'. Not really all that democratic on this front.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, Orton Rd said:

You blackmail her then, you support her so she has to do what you want, disgraceful let her decide for herself.

Nonsense.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, RJRS1301 said:

You are using coercion to control her behaviours, that is a terrible thing to do to person, taking away their agency.

More nonsense.

Like it or not, such is life. Same way most of us here will face consequences if engaged in political activism. She gets to decide for herself, her agency is not taken away - there's always a choice of going independent and following what you believe in. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

I was able to discuss whether we wanted to eat Thai or Japanese on a recent trip to Central Westgate....but GF is opening up especially after I had her accompany me to the Immigration office for her 'first time' initiation...she wasn't very aware what goes on and being a professional manager...she was not very happy with the government system for treating foreigners just wishing to legally stay. Especially curious about the numerous Thai agents walking in and out of the IO cubicles with stacks of 10 passports or more, sometimes interupting people sitting down at the desk and further slowing down the process. I explained to her that should someone not have any money in the bank or insurance cert....they could hire one of these agents to smooth things over...I think she became a bit more appreciative of what the protestors are doing even if not willing to openly support them verbally. Change is going to come...but most Thais...even educated ones are woefully unaware of how government operates...they need to be 'enlightened' before they support change en masse.

I seriously doubt our IO experience will change much if the new lot comes to power. Or for that matter, that much else will.

• Like 1

Fortunately for me and my wife we agree. We both have quite strong conservative freedom loving attitudes. And I have convinced her that the people in power put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else and they all have to squat to take a dump just like everyone else.

Edited by Kurtf

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

As per your last comment - not so. Go on social media, and the picture is pretty much reversed. A lot of outspoken commentary, and quite a bit of harassment directed at those not supporting (or seen as such) by them 'netizens'. Not really all that democratic on this front.

I'm aware of the outspoken commentary supporting the protesters' demands and this is an unusual and IMO positive development in this country. However it remains a vocal minority in a country of 70 million.

Most Thai people are too afraid to speak out, in any medium.

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I'm aware of the outspoken commentary supporting the protesters' demands and this is an unusual and IMO positive development in this country. However it remains a vocal minority in a country of 70 million.

Most Thai people are too afraid to speak out, in any medium.

Despite appearances, most Thai people aren't on social media. If you consider those who are active on the social media as representative (with probably younger crowd bias), then what you claim is not entirely correct - at least not the 'in any medium' bit.

1 hour ago, samtab said:

Discuss with a Thai ???? 555

Only my 23 years old KIK understands what's happening and supports democracy.

Older Thai all are pure idiots.

Agreed. My 2 Thai GFs are both university educated and relatively wealthy individuals yet neither of them will say a word about the situation. Afraid to do so I strongly suspect.

Not a subject to discuss with strangers but you should be able to talk with your wife if you chose her for brains as much as looks? I think I made a good point there.. 

My 40 year old g/f loved the old Deleted, hates the new, and despises the government. Is sickened by the poor financial response to COVID, she lost her job months ago and is existing only on what I can give her, no Thai will employ a dark-ish skinned large bodied but pretty woman. She strongly supports the protests, but doesn't discuss with her friends, only me. 

The female Thai owner of my favourite restaurant is the same on both Deleted and government. 

Not much to discuss as I'm not an expert and don't want to be, but it shouldn't be taboo. 

On 10/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, Surelynot said:

A prime example to anyone of why schools should not be allowed to indoctrinate children.....religious schools, in particular, should be banned throughout the world.

Freedom of religion apparently means that religious folks are free to inflict themselves on the rest of the world. 

It will never end since there will always be those who cannot accept death as an end. Once they invent a fictious entity that guarantees them life after death they are then forced into create endless streams of dogma to prove it to themselves. 

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Think that it has been the pandemic that caused that 

My wife is measuring against her portfolio SET performance and divident returns over the last 7 or 8 years. I think she has got shares in about 20 companies and she follows quite a few others for day trading. 

My wife's sister works for Maybank as an investment advisor, hence the family's general interest in share trading and she saw a reduction in overseas activity in the SET from her foreign clients well before the Pandemic because of perceived political uncertainty. So no, this isn't due to the pandemic although the current state of affairs further exacerbates the economic woes.

Maybe their perception that Prayut is the cause of the lack of confidence in investment is wrong or misplaced...I dont follow it myself.

3 hours ago, Morch said:

I seriously doubt our IO experience will change much if the new lot comes to power. Or for that matter, that much else will.

It's not a "new lot" that is being called for.

The demands being made are intended to result in a new system.

New Era.......new war.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:03 AM, ChipButty said:

My wife is pretty switched on and is well aware of whats going on so best I say nothing unless I want to know something, keep the peace

Same as mine, she's switched on and she even thinks it's time for a change, her friends are a mixed bunch depending on their employment.