Protests

Gandtee

Have not read all of the posts but my wife supports the Deleted and is not happy with the students. It is no concern of mine as I have made my life government free as much as possible, both here and the home country.

But the wife has just told me that the "students" are being paid by Thanathon (excuse the spelling but the FFP leader) to attend the protests. Do not know where she got the information so would be interested to know if anyone else has heard this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Discuss with wife any time, she is generally disinterested in politics, was quite a fan of Prayuts initial impression but has been disappointed since.

Think once they've spent a decent stint living and working abroad ie 10yrs they are less likely to get suckered into all the nationalist chest beating.

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's not a "new lot" that is being called for.

The demands being made are intended to result in a new system.

New Era.......new war.

Let's try again. Assuming the protests result in the sort of changes advocated by the protestors - what then? Who's at the helm? Who gets to set the new rules and design this new system?

Given the country had numerous regime changes, numerous constitutions, and many promised new beginnings, being optimistic about the prospects for change is a choice.

What I hear, see and read from and about current protests leaders doesn't really reassure that they are up to the task of running a country. The politicians involved are similarly useless and not very trustworthy either.

That's not saying the government is great, or that there are no issues. Just that faith in this lot being able to sort things out is, IMO, misplaced.

My take is that their goal (the one we're not to discuss) is mainly a distraction. And possibly a very dangerous one. Things being as they are, the military got to maintain (well, most times, anyway) a semblance of following some ground rules. If said goal is realized, then the framework governing the military's behavior is also done with. Now let's contemplate the military's past actions, and consider how things might pan out without any constraints or need to keep appearances up in place.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Gandtee said:

Any comment or discussion on the present student protests is strictly taboo between my wife and I. We have agreed not to get into it to maintain a quiet life. For her, after a lifetime of indoctrination it must be very difficult to listen and accept differing views. Any others out there following the same policy? 

not married at the moment, but I am unlikely to get into a similar situation, as I would only marry a person capable of discussing and also laughing about absolutely everything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

My Thai wife, 65 years young, feels that things will change, but slowly. Our discussions are fairly open on the subject when we are alone together.

Most guys wives only care about one thing when they are alone together.  A quick exit .

9 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Have not read all of the posts but my wife supports the Deleted and is not happy with the students. It is no concern of mine as I have made my life government free as much as possible, both here and the home country.

But the wife has just told me that the "students" are being paid by Thanathon (excuse the spelling but the FFP leader) to attend the protests. Do not know where she got the information so would be interested to know if anyone else has heard this.

I've been commenting on the Bangkok Post Facebook posts and I had lady send me a friend request because she liked my comment. Anyway we were chatting on messenger and she attended the protest on Monday at Victory monument, she is in her early 30s. So I don't think they are being paid, it's just an organic movement wanting real democracy and change. The protesters were being clapped along the street today near government house by bystanders and the riot police at the end were shaking hands/wai with the protesters, signs of change coming.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

i know in the red shirt protests a few years ago many protesters were paid because i saw it happening day after day. i know many students involved in the current protest movement and, believe me, the feeling is so strong they dont need to be paid to attend.

I don't think the current lot, especially the student element, is paid to attend. I am aware that there are/were efforts to enlist red-shirts (or former red-shirts, whatever) to join en-masse - and that at least to a degree this involved expectations (and later, complaints about them not being met) of renewing this previous tradition.

At least one group was grumbling about attending overnight, not having any decent 'action' ('just talk'), and then not even being offered breakfast. Hunting down something to their liking, and paying Bangkok prices for it didn't go down to well, either.

Joker of the year says the conflict needs to be resolved in parliament with the protesters representatives, er but i thought he banned them all and their party they voted for, as well as it's leader. Lifts state of emergency as too embarrassing to pretend anyone took a blind bit of notice of it

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

'Yellow shirts' hear govt house tonight looking rather regimented, strangely no women or students in the ranks, at least they left the guns in the barracks, so they really think this charade fools anyone? From A Marshals fb page

roy1.jpg

ro2.jpg

can't stop laughing when seeing these puppets. They really have no face.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Gandtee said:

Any comment or discussion on the present student protests is strictly taboo between my wife and I. We have agreed not to get into it to maintain a quiet life. For her, after a lifetime of indoctrination it must be very difficult to listen and accept differing views. Any others out there following the same policy? 

No comment; And why would you like to share your private life with TV??? Can't you work it out by yourself????

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Morch said:

Let's try again. Assuming the protests result in the sort of changes advocated by the protestors - what then? Who's at the helm? Who gets to set the new rules and design this new system?

Given the country had numerous regime changes, numerous constitutions, and many promised new beginnings, being optimistic about the prospects for change is a choice.

What I hear, see and read from and about current protests leaders doesn't really reassure that they are up to the task of running a country. The politicians involved are similarly useless and not very trustworthy either.

That's not saying the government is great, or that there are no issues. Just that faith in this lot being able to sort things out is, IMO, misplaced.

My take is that their goal (the one we're not to discuss) is mainly a distraction. And possibly a very dangerous one. Things being as they are, the military got to maintain (well, most times, anyway) a semblance of following some ground rules. If said goal is realized, then the framework governing the military's behavior is also done with. Now let's contemplate the military's past actions, and consider how things might pan out without any constraints or need to keep appearances up in place.

for sure this is just a bump on the road to nowhere, essentially nothing will change in the long term, because; thailand has a polarised electorate who vote with their tribe, elections are not fought on political philosophies or ideologies, you dont have floating voters as such. also the ingrained and endemic corruption that permeates all levels of society, even elections... and add to this the general lack of understanding of how the democratic process works, when one party loses the opposition take the the streets to try to force change rather than voicing their opinions in a peaceful manner. then you have an ever changing constitution which has been manipulated in the past to the benefit of those in power, oh i could go on...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samsensam said:

for sure this is just a bump on the road to nowhere, essentially nothing will change in the long term, because; thailand has a polarised electorate who vote with their tribe, elections are not fought on political philosophies or ideologies, you dont have floating voters as such. also the ingrained and endemic corruption that permeates all levels of society, even elections... and add to this the general lack of understanding of how the democratic process works, when one party loses the opposition take the the streets to try to force change rather than voicing their opinions in a peaceful manner. then you have an ever changing constitution which has been manipulated in the past to the benefit of those in power, oh i could go on...

The opposition even if winning seats ends up being declared null and void through court proceedings allegedly during "due process". Until the courts cease being a tool for government there will be no change

The elephant in the room needs to also be addressed

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

'Yellow shirts' hear govt house tonight looking rather regimented, strangely no women or students in the ranks, at least they left the guns in the barracks, so they really think this charade fools anyone? From A Marshals fb page

roy1.jpg

ro2.jpg

Apart from these 'ordinary citizens' I am told the vast majority of yellow clad humans are being paid for attendance and other are from government institutions and are told to be there (or else).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The opposition even if winning seats ends up being declared null and void through court proceedings allegedly during "due process". Until the courts cease being a tool for government there will be no change

The elephant in the room needs to also be addressed

The elephant in the room is a distraction. Supposed the elephant isn't there - what then? Does anyone really believe the military will simply embrace the values of democracy and all will be well?

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Apart from these 'ordinary citizens' I am told the vast majority of yellow clad humans are being paid for attendance and other are from government institutions and are told to be there (or else).

Told by whom?

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, tonray said:

I was able to discuss whether we wanted to eat Thai or Japanese on a recent trip to Central Westgate....but GF is opening up especially after I had her accompany me to the Immigration office for her 'first time' initiation...she wasn't very aware what goes on and being a professional manager...she was not very happy with the government system for treating foreigners just wishing to legally stay. Especially curious about the numerous Thai agents walking in and out of the IO cubicles with stacks of 10 passports or more, sometimes interupting people sitting down at the desk and further slowing down the process. I explained to her that should someone not have any money in the bank or insurance cert....they could hire one of these agents to smooth things over...I think she became a bit more appreciative of what the protestors are doing even if not willing to openly support them verbally. 

So the protestors are against visa agents? Didn't know.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So the protestors are against visa agents? Didn't know.

Corruption in government is a major source of dissastisfaction with the current regime. Certaiin practices of agents (such as circumventing the laws and offering under the table compensation to Immigration Officers) certainly fall into that category. Corruption keeps the power in the hands of those with in power and lessens opportunity for the rest of the population. Perhaps you should look further than your own view of the personal utility of the agents

• Confused 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:28 AM, sammieuk1 said:

A great afternoon's drama provided by Khaosod + FB live and the thousands of brave young people that tore down the razor wire and marched to government house without conflict good luck and keep going ???????? 

as I have said before violence protests will achieve nothing

• Confused 2

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Election/Political Discussions

As a result of the great increase in posts about politics in Thailand, we are requesting that members keep political discussion confined to threads already open in the Thailand News Forum.

Non-political topics in "General" which are hijacked with political arguments will see posts removed without further notice.

Members who cannot comply with our request will risk a posting suspension.

//Closed//