Successful trip at MTT

Thanks @Jackcwba for the report! That's really good news. I started a thread on this very topic last week but have not received one single "horse's mouth" report from MTT. I will repost this to my thread.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1187562-under-consideration-reports-from-mtt-did-everyone-get-stamped-to-nov-30/

Edited by Fibonaqi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielFR said:

Indeed very positive outcome and feedback for many of us in a similar situation.

one quick question, did you just walk-in MTT or did you do an online booking appointment? 

I didn’t book an appointment online for today no, didn’t even sign in at the door or anything. 

just Went up all the stairs and showed up with my passport and walked to the counter showing my under consideration stamp saying I’m here to get this stamp finished / updated..

She told me to walk through to see the dragons. Some bloke who I did the application with on 25th September was the one who also dealt with me today and told me all this info he was very helpful and spoke good English, 

When I was walking up the stairs I did notice a counter A & B had a bit of queuing at the door but I think that was for 90 day reporting or something... the tourist bit Is on the 3rd floor ( counter J ) 

the counter J was completely empty and I went at 11:30 so I was expecting them to be rushed off their feet just before they have their lunch but it was the complete opposite 55

That's what I was thinking, but even if theoretically speaking they re-opened the country on say Jan 1, giving an extension to Jan 30 makes sense given it allows people enough time to get their affairs in order...rather than expecting everyone to rush out within say 1 week. That could overwhelm border crossings and the limited number of flights available. So in that sense I think it is possible, however unlikely it may seem at the moment, that some more general reopening could be on the cards starting in early January...but you also have to look towards what other countries are doing. For Malaysia, the earliest they might open is Jan 1, and those currently stranded there have until Jan 14 to leave (assuming the border re-opens on Jan 1). 

28 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

I didn’t book an appointment online for today no, didn’t even sign in at the door or anything. 

just Went up all the stairs and showed up with my passport and walked to the counter showing my under consideration stamp saying I’m here to get this stamp finished / updated..

She told me to walk through to see the dragons. Some bloke who I did the application with on 25th September was the one who also dealt with me today and told me all this info he was very helpful and spoke good English, 

When I was walking up the stairs I did notice a counter A & B had a bit of queuing at the door but I think that was for 90 day reporting or something... the tourist bit Is on the 3rd floor ( counter J ) 

the counter J was completely empty and I went at 11:30 so I was expecting them to be rushed off their feet just before they have their lunch but it was the complete opposite 55

What time did you go? Did you go to counter K? I showed up at MTT around 11 and they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have an appointment. It's an hour's drive away, so needless to say I was frustrated.

Beyond ridiculous that you need to book an appointment for the date they tell you to meet them. 

Edited by jeffthehat

1 hour ago, jeffthehat said:

What time did you go? Did you go to counter K? I showed up at MTT around 11 and they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have an appointment. It's an hour's drive away, so needless to say I was frustrated.

Beyond ridiculous that you need to book an appointment for the date they tell you to meet them. 

I arrived at 11:30 and I was in and out within 5 minutes... maybe 10 including walking up and down the stairs.

no I went to counter J, J is for people who have a tourist 60 visa

K is for visa on arrivals

from what I saw in September 25, the way they run counter K is a joke, ( the one with the tent ) 

J is simple and it was empty... as for next week... who knows it could be chaos again.

yes I agree that turning you away is crazy especially when it was so quite today.. I think some of them just enjoy having power.. 

1 hour ago, Jackcwba said:

I arrived at 11:30 and I was in and out within 5 minutes... maybe 10 including walking up and down the stairs.

no I went to counter J, J is for people who have a tourist 60 visa

K is for visa on arrivals

from what I saw in September 25, the way they run counter K is a joke, ( the one with the tent ) 

J is simple and it was empty... as for next week... who knows it could be chaos again.

yes I agree that turning you away is crazy especially when it was so quite today.. I think some of them just enjoy having power.. 

I'm going to extend a tourist visa but my email says:

Counter No. : TR60-online 1

What does that mean?

Okay, here is another report at MTT, this one from counter K (for my wife)

Details: Visa exempt, March arrival.  No regular extension, no previous Covid extension, no embassy letter. 

[had previously applied via agent for volunteer visa in early Sep, but after six weeks and no visa, demanded return of passport after announcement of new Oct 31 amnesty]

Arrived about 10:30 am. Had booked appointment one day before.

Counter K outside was packed.  Two female staff doing check-in were extremely rude, texting and playing with phones while ignoring people waiting, using condescending tone -- in other words, business as usual.  A (Singaporean) began arguing loudly about not being let in, but to no avail.  Eventually male IO officer arrived, patiently explaining that only the first 100 allowed in without online appt booking.  This officer (military-style hair with Immigration police vest) was courteous and helpful, unlike the female staff.  He later explained to us that the big crowds were because, no surprise, everyone now being given 30 Nov stamps.  He sounded tired but was polite and did his best to explain the process (unlike the female staff).

Before being seated under tent, were given the new Covid form with boxes checked for "cannot return due to Covid situation" and "unable to obtain embassy letter" -- yes, first two boxes checked.

Queue was a bit chaotic with no explanations (apparently, you sit in one column -- after column to left goes in, the next column gets up and shifts left one seat).  Took probably 45 minutes to get inside, but at least weather was cool while waiting.

Inside, unfortunately, we were called up by a female staff, not the male one we had spoken to earlier.  She proceeded to give a Spanish Inquisition about why we had no embassy letter and why hadn't yet departed.  Explanations of canceled flights, inability to get letter, rampant Covid in destination (Philippines), and desire to not be separated as a family with small child, all seemed irrelevant to her.  It appeared for quite some time that the extension would be refused for lack of embassy letter (despite the form provided earlier) and proof that flights had been canceled, but in the end after a lengthy, heated discussion, she relented.  We were provided with yet another form to complete [Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for Permit of Temporary Stay].  We politely asked the purpose of this form, but were brusquely told to shut up and sign.

Finally, asked for 1900 baht, which I knew was a sign of success (and great relief).  Upon picking up passport, we were hopeful that it would be stamped Nov 30 (because of no previous extensions), but unfortunately no, it was "under consideration" with a Nov 3 return date. So yet another trip to nowheresville for this.

The process took around two hours in total.

So in summary, the trip appears to be a success.  However, although we had been led to believe the process should be straightforward, in fact it was yet again very stressful and another chance for the (female) immigration officers to berate, chastise, and demonstrate their overwhelming sense of power and complete lack of compassion (to a family simply trying to avoid being separated).

Suggestions if going for this type of extension (first extension -- no previous regular or covid):

1. Try to go with the male IO officer if possible - we missed our chance while the wife was in the bathroom.

2. Be prepared with a litany of reasons (and proof, if possible) why you were unable to leave. 

3. Try to remain cool. We remained calm and polite despite the abuse, and I get the sense it might have ended otherwise if we had not. The ministry announcement of "Nov 30 extensions for all" does not appear to be well-received by some IO staff, but in the end they reluctantly relented. Good luck.

Edited by eppic

1 hour ago, eppic said:

Okay, here is another report at MTT, this one from counter K (for my wife)

Thanks for the report. It makes me want to try another immigration office. Hopefully though when you return your stamp will be good to 30 December.

Edited by edwardandtubs

On 10/20/2020 at 9:06 AM, Jackcwba said:

I went today (counter K), I didnt make an appointment either. The lady at the marquee outside would not let me through and told me to book online and to come back tomorrow.

I walked away, waited 5 mins then walked through down the side no problem then straight up to left hand side and to one of the desks, they pointed me to the actual entrance (I entered via the exit) and the lady just gave me a queue number there and then and took my passport.

10 mins later I got it back with nov 30. So in and out in less than 30 mins, result!

I'm glad I didnt leave, book online and then return tomorrow, what a waste of time.

Edited by Adam219
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

If I can't get the date of my stamp changed to 30 November do you think I could apply for a 60 day extension at the same desk?

I am certain they will change your stamp to the November 30th since rules do not define what type of extension was applied for.

Not sure about the 60 day but I assume it would be done if needed but it might not start until November 30th.

• Like 1

I went today to extend my tourist visa at MTT.

Arrived 9:30, had to wait 5 min under the tent. Allowed to go inside. Showed my online appointment and give a card. number wait another 5 min, submit paperwork (no embassy letter). 

Application submitted (Paid 1900 THB). 
waited another 5-10min to get passport back ... with under consideration stamp.

Overall about 30 min from beginning to end.

Now my question is, do I need to book an online appointment for the under revision  date provided (November 12)?

13 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

Tourist visa extension , however, I used the under consideration stamp date as my expiration date for the visa? 

It wil probably be ok. A little surprised you got it for a tourist visa due to people not being able to get one.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, DanielFR said:

Thanks for your reply Ubonjoe. 

if I understand correctly from the various answers on this forum, TR-60 online 1 is counter J and located on the third

floor ?

That’s correct. You need J, you will know you are in the right building because you will the the counter where you can buy passport pictures / photocopy machine when you walk through the door.

Counter K is the one with the tent with the grass next to it - 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, Jackcwba said:

good news from the immigration officer.. if you are still unable to leave before November 30, come back to MTT and apply again

he said it will be a 60 day extension which would see me through to end of January next year.

he said if you can’t get an embassy letter don’t worry you just have to sign a form here ( he didn’t go into detail, I assume you just sign a form like he says and give basic reasons why you can’t leave.

i am a UK passport holder  who has a tourist 60 stamp for anybody wondering

I'm curious to know why a British tourist can't leave.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to MTT today after my initial trip late October to extend my short term visa. I had a under consideration stamp (November 12 return date).

My visa was extended until December 30 (this implies 60 days total, from October 29).

In addition, some people voice their concerns regarding the cost to go to MTT. I took BTS from Asok to Kasetsart University and then taxi. Total cost for the entire trip was 300 THB 

3 hours ago, DanielFR said:

To clarify my previous comment, the total cost was from my place to MTT and returning to my condo

wouldn't the taxi be quicker/cheaper form Wat Phra Sri Mahathat BTS (the last stop)?

also, for others wondering how to get to MTT on a budget: bus 166 from Victory Monument will take you there for 22 baht