Certificate of residence.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, aluc said:

I have a question about CoR.

I was at IO 2 days ago to make my ED visa extension and after that went to officer to ask what documents do I need for CoR. Officer (non Thai) told me that I must have registered address and to my question how to make it, he told me I should have one already if I`m living in Thailand. About all the copies everything is clear, but about registered address I`m a bit confused. Could some one can tell me what exact papers should I need to get that CoR? I will go back to IO next monday, but don`t want to waste another day if all the paperwork is not in order.

i took utility bills with me, and a bank statement from Uk as proof of address

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 7:52 AM, jacko45k said:

And did you pay that? Was it one COR or two?

Jacko , apologies for delay , regards the C of R at Jomtiem , L refused to pat the excessive amount , wlll try again next week.

Appreciate all the replies etc,...thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khaepmu said:

How long are the certificates of residence good for. A month, a year?

Mine have always been the length of my visa. 

For many years I was entering on a tourist visa, working offshore I only needed the 28 days, this was a problem when buying new vehicles, the few weeks would always be a problem for the sales team transferring the registration into my name. 

I'm missing something here. A non-resident requires a document from a government office. The government office is built and staffed using taxpayer's money. Foreigner doesn't pay any tax but expect the government workers to provide him free of charge with said government services. 

You may have noticed that possession of a  work permit opens all kinds of procedural doors. Possession of a work permit suggests a salary on which holder of said permit pays tax. Hmmm? Coincidence? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm missing something here. A non-resident requires a document from a government office. The government office is built and staffed using taxpayer's money. Foreigner doesn't pay any tax but expect the government workers to provide him free of charge with said government services. 

You may have noticed that possession of a  work permit opens all kinds of procedural doors. Possession of a work permit suggests a salary on which holder of said permit pays tax. Hmmm? Coincidence? 

Yes you are missing something

you make the common mistake to think the only taxes are the ones paid one time in one year on your income

let me introduce you to the fantastic concept of the VAT, where everyone (Foreigner included) everyday and everywhere in Thailand pay a % in TAXES on almost everything

The amount generated by the VAT greatly exceeds the income taxes

and pays the most part of the building of the office and the staff working inside

It's why the COR is free in few IO

When it's not, it's just tea money

the problem should have been adressed nationwide long time ago already

if Thailand wasn't a banana corrupted state

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Of course I left the VAT door open for someone to fall into.

The amount of VAT paid by non-residents is minuscule and doesn't count in the grand scheme of things. Paying VAT at 7-Eleven/Tesco does not make a non-resident a "tax payer" 

No government is worried about Amazon/Google et al not paying their VAT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

You're missing that there's no official fee stipulated for the Certificate of Residence. It would make perfect sense to charge a fee, just like for other immigration services. You'd then expect that fee to be the same at each immigration office and that you'd get a proper receipt.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Of course I left the VAT door open for someone to fall into.

The amount of VAT paid by non-residents is minuscule and doesn't count in the grand scheme of things. Paying VAT at 7-Eleven/Tesco does not make a non-resident a "tax payer" 

Nice try to flip 

you could also write that the amount of taxes on income paid by foreign residents is minuscule and doesn't count in the grand scheme of things,

However the total amount of VAT paid by the foreigners in Thailand greatly exceeds the income tax revenue

you caricature it reducing it at 7\11\Tesco when in fact you pay it on almost EVERYTHING

i don't even comment your statment about you are not paying tax when you pay VAT

but hey whatever float your boat....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

However the total amount of VAT paid by the foreigners in Thailand greatly exceeds the income tax revenue

??? Link. I'm calling BS on that statement.????

Foreigners here are a drop in the proverbial ocean. 

47 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

??? Link. I'm calling BS on that statement.????

Foreigners here are a drop in the proverbial ocean. 

You are pedantic on this one, i was obviously talking about the foreigners income tax 

which is also less than a drop in the ocean of the Thailand global budget

Anyway the fact is your first statement

'' foreigner doesn't pay any tax but expect the governement workers to provides him

free of charge with said goverment services''

is totally irrelevant as

1\ all foreigners in Thailand pay taxes (VAT is a tax)

2\ a lot of governement services are provided for ''free'' to the foreigners

even a 1 week tourist one (Immigration at the airport, police and medical help if needed)

3\ some offices gives a COE for free, and most of them ask money but refuse to deliver a receipt

4\ if you ask a COE to an office where you have to pay for it, they don't care if you pay a tax on your

income or not, they just want your money

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, niebla said:

Chiang Mai said 2 months for a COR today. It used to be 500 here. Should I have offered to pay for faster service?

What do you need the COR for.

If for a driver's license two months at least is how long you will have to wait to do it since they are not doing them now.

• Like 1